News   May 03, 2024
 133     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 101     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 83     0 

Toronto Media Landscape and Personalities

The Toronto Star's parent company, Nordstar is in talks to merge with Postmedia, which controls the National Post and the Sun papers.

🤮

Political biases aside, and the trash 'reporting' of the latter group of papers to one side, our media is already far too concentrated in this country; this should not even be up for consideration, nor should it be legal.

What a terrible take.

Sure, the quality of local newscasts could be better, but we have very little editorial diversity in this country as it is..

In Toronto, in terms of major outlets, we have 4 English language local newscasts (CBC, CTV, Global and City) ; The Star and the Globe in print and CBC Radio and everything else is pretty thin or niche market.

That's not much depth in a market the size of Toronto.

Wiping out local news requirements nationally could also leave many markets with zero local news coverage.

London had one TV station, Kitchener the same etc.
That would probably mean the death knell for all regional and small market stations. If not for local content, all they would become is signal repeaters. The smaller markets already lost OTA CBC.

That would probably mean the death knell for all regional and small market stations. If not for local content, all they would become is signal repeaters. The smaller markets already lost OTA CBC.

I have long been of the opinion that CBC, which is very under-funded (per capita) compared to other national broadcasters in the west, needs more money to support local programming. That said, I don't think we should provide that money solely to allow Bell to make greater profit.

The reality is they that they've greatly eroded product quality over the years, and then whine that fewer people watch. Duh.

Viewing habits change, but ads can work on phones and laptops and pcs.

But you have to have a product worth looking at, in an appropriate format.

I have long been of the opinion that CBC, which is very under-funded (per capita) compared to other national broadcasters in the west, needs more money to support local programming. That said, I don't think we should provide that money solely to allow Bell to make greater profit.

The reality is they that they've greatly eroded product quality over the years, and then whine that fewer people watch. Duh.

In the smaller markets, I suspect but don't know, that there is a larger viewership that still actually sits down and watches the local news on TV (we do). With the diminishment of small market print media, including its online reincarnation, it's really the only source of professional journalism in places like Moncton Saskatoon and Northern Ontario (and probably K-W as well). It would be interesting what Numeris data shows (and even more interesting if BellMedia cared what the numbers said).

In the smaller markets, I suspect but don't know, that there is a larger viewership that still actually sits down and watches the local news on TV (we do). With the diminishment of small market print media, including its online reincarnation, it's really the only source of professional journalism in places like Moncton Saskatoon and Northern Ontario (and probably K-W as well). It would be interesting what Numeris data shows (and even more interesting if BellMedia cared what the numbers said).

Now here's a kicker for you; all the CBC stations in Northern Ontario are owned by Bell. which runs dual-stick CBC/CTV.

1687920250845.png

Bell also owns former CBC stations in Barrie, and London.

There used to be a CBC affiliate in Kingston as well, I believe that's now Global/Corus.

Last edited:

Case in point - how Bell utterly trashed all the unique aspects that made City-TV and it's offshoots appealing to watch for the generations that grew up with it.

Case in point - how Bell utterly trashed all the unique aspects that made City-TV and it's offshoots appealing to watch for the generations that grew up with it.
Small correction: CityTV went to Rogers. The rest of Chum went to Bell, but not CityTV. But, regardless, you're totally correct about soulless telecoms ruining local news.

The Toronto Sun is reporting legendary Toronto sports radio personality Bob McCown suffered a series of strokes last week which left him partially paralysed, though they say yesterday he was moved from hospital back to his home but still with an uncertain prognosis.

The Toronto Sun is reporting legendary Toronto sports radio personality Bob McCown suffered a series of strokes last week which left him partially paralysed, though they say yesterday he was moved from hospital back to his home but still with an uncertain prognosis.

McCown has actually tweeted on these experiences.

Here's The Star's story:

Most unfortunate, whether one followed him or not.

My mother suffered a stroke which led to the year or so of deterioration leading to her death, a few years ago now.

While the impact of strokes will vary, in general, as one might expect, they tend to be very hard on the health and harbinger of more difficulty to come, more often than not.

Metroland seeks bankrupty protection and is closing dozens of in-print community newspapers.

Not a surprise, unfortunately.

While noting that Metroland's filing outlines some entirely legitimate reasons their business has become non-viable (migration of advertising to digital services, reduction in flyer revenue etc.)......

They omit something key; the very existence of Metroland itself is/was always the biggest threat.

Most of their 'local' publications are/were already shadows of their former selves.

The never ending efforts to streamline, consolidate, and wring every last dollar out of the publications has meant that most 'community papers' actually carry mostly regurgitated Canadian Press and Toronto Star material, and have one
or at most 2 people providing a small amount of truly local content.

The local papers that continue to succeed, albeit while facing many of the same headwinds are those that have remained independent and mission-driven to serve local areas.

I'm thinking of Beach Metro News, and 'Bluffs Monitor' among others.

You need to provide a worthwhile volume and quality of local content to attract, and retain, local readership and the support of local advertisers as opposed to big chains.

Last edited:
ET Canada cancelled by Corus Entertainment after 18 seasons:

I have a mixed take on the above.

1) I never watched it, celebrity gossip which is that type of show's bread and butter is simply of no interest to me.

2) Global has never been seriously committed to cancon, so nixing 2.5 hours per week of what little it has seems problematic. The standards for the amount of can-con broadcasters must air has been watered down over the years, and the CRTC should reverse that.

3) While I'm not a fan of the celebrity gossip genre, one thing that hampers the success of better quality Canadian television shows and movies is that lack of a 'star system' which ensures top
actors, writers and directors in this country have a certain amount of profile.

There are better genres of TV for achieving that mind you, including the late-night (daily) and primetime (weekly) talk show, as well as something along the lines of City Lights or 'Inside the Actors Studio' for lengthy, thoughtful, sit-down interviews.

Any which way, 'culture' beyond its story telling and identity building capacities is a serious industry in this town, for that reason if no other, Global should be chased down to invest the $$$ that were tied up in this show in other Canadian projects.

Last edited:
I have a mixed take on the above.

1) I never watched it, celebrity gossip which is that type of show's bread and butter is simply of no interest to me.

2) Global has never been seriously committed to cancon, so nixing 2.5 hours per week of what little it has seems problematic. The standards for the amount of can-con broadcasters must air has been watered down over the years, and the CRTC should reverse that.

3) While I'm not a fan of the celebrity gossip genre, one thing that hampers the success of better quality Canadian television shows and movies is that lack of a 'star system' which ensures top
actors, writers and directors in this country have a certain amount of profile.

There are better genres of TV for achieving that mind you, including the late-night (daily) and primetime (weekly) talk show, as well as something along the lines of City Lights or 'Inside the Actors Studio' for lengthy, thoughtful, sit-down interviews.

Any which way, 'culture' beyond its story telling and identity building capacities is a serious industry in this town, for that reason if no other, Global should be chased down to invest the $$$ that were tied up in this show in other Canadian projects.
It's interesting what you wrote as wasn't it Global that gambled on the most recent attempt at a Canada "late night" daily show with Mike Bullard?
However I recall that show was a total flop and cancelled after a year, though I think that had to be in part because Bullard was not a very scintillating personality, and they aimed too old on the demos, going for 40-somethings instead of 20 -somethings.

Back