Hamilton McMaster University Campus Master Plan | ?m | ?s | McMaster University | BDP Quadrangle

Seems really short sighted. That space would be ideal for an academic building, or another residence. :rolleyes:

?

Its a regulated floodplain; you can't build residential, and even an academic building wouldn't normally be permitted, parking is permitted.

1720134538477.png

No new buildings, more or less, in the beige cloud.

They are proposing to build a new residence next to Osler which is not in the floodplain.

1720134681995.png

1720134761429.png

1720134855767.png

Looks to be about 7 acres of naturalization.

I mean, they planned to build on it, but obviously determined it wasn't worth it. McMaster has billions of dollars and decades of development space and money that would likely be better spent in infilling the existing university property.

This is also part of a large biosphere and the mention of it being used for research purposes isn't fluff as McMaster is broadening it's research and education capacity. It would do well to expand it's geography and nature focused education components. I know someone teaching geography at McMaster and they are trying to grow that area which includes naturalization and sustainable development practices for urban and non-urban areas.

meh, just seems like a complete waste of space to let it turn back into a swamp

We will have to disagree. As noted above by @Chris R. McMaster doesn't lack space for new or intensified buildings.

The opportunity to meaningfully enhance a local ecosystem that is an ESA (Environmentally Sensitive Area) and add biodiversity and possibly research opportunities and maybe even recreational ones to campus seems like a good value to me.

Lets add, McMaster will likely create this new space, with partners, but with faculty who will get professional credit, and with graduate students who will gain invaluable experience.

We will have to disagree. As noted above by @Chris R. McMaster doesn't lack space for new or intensified buildings.

The opportunity to meaningfully enhance a local ecosystem that is an ESA (Environmentally Sensitive Area) and add biodiversity and possibly research opportunities and maybe even recreational ones to campus seems like a good value to me.

Lets add, McMaster will likely create this new space, with partners, but with faculty who will get professional credit, and with graduate students who will gain invaluable experience.
Agree to disagree. I think using the space for academic buildings or even parking is a better use than a glorified swamp. There's plenty of that already in the area. Seems like a political decision to me.

Agree to disagree.

Yes.

I think using the space for academic buildings or even parking

Again, they can't build here.......its the law.

is a better use than a glorified swamp. There's plenty of that already in the area. Seems like a political decision to me.

Very much disagree, clearly the environment is not an area of interest to you, sobeit, I won't try to convince you otherwise, though I would tell you dismissing its value probably doesn't help your arguments w/most readers.

This is great! Since storms are getting denser—in that they're dropping more water in shorter periods of time due to warmer air being able to hold more water molecules—we definitely need more places like this to naturally absorb rainfall/snowmelt and prevent flooding. Especially given that we live in the epicentre of some of the most fresh water on the planet, and that much of Hamilton was historically wetlands, removing non-permeable parking lots is such a great thing to see happening, and a true return to form for local ecosystems.

Not to mention, we're already seeing insurance companies cut protection against forest fires, we definitely don't want the same to start happening in urban centres due to increased flood risk—especially given Canadians keep their utilities in their basements. That could be a major crisis if we get a major snowfall followed by a false spring! 😬

So in addition to the environmental, and research benefits, this is really of great benefit to everyone! ...Hopefully we could get a project like this on some brownfields in the East End! 🤞

The political decision would be ignoring and then building on a flood zone, and would be incredibly short sighted in this day and age. What I would love to see is that little pocket of detached housing on the north west corner of cootes/main get redeveloped into a little university town. Kills me how completely unpedestrian the area around a univeristy hospital is.

The political decision would be ignoring and then building on a flood zone, and would be incredibly short sighted in this day and age.

Agreed.

Kills me how completely unpedestrian the area around a univeristy hospital is.

Also agreed.

What I would love to see is that little pocket of detached housing on the north west corner of cootes/main get redeveloped into a little university town.

I want to agree to this.............except I don't recall any SFH right at the corner, and streetview doesn't show any either........there'''s multi-res, (lowrise) a gas station and a vacant lot.

But I'm happy to agree that Main here feels very suburban.

I'd prioritize this stretch directly across Mac...........:

1720531859795.png

There's actually a coupe of patios, though they seem rather unappealing given the adjacent six-lane road and a tree-less streetscape........but all one-storey, with a plaza just beyond. Perfect for mid-rise rental, 4s streetwall, and 4 more setback, add in a tree-lined streetscape, strong retail....... there we go.

After that, I'd prioritize west along Main for another couple of blocks:

1720532020859.png

Then back east along Main, east of the University:

1720532103396.png

I want to agree to this.............except I don't recall any SFH right at the corner, and streetview doesn't show any either........there'''s multi-res, (lowrise) a gas station and a vacant lot.

I think he was referring to the neighbourhood behind The Pancake House and Tally Ho.

eg. Sanders Blvd, Thorndale, etc.

Back