Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

My favourite pic of the old Colonial Tavern:

I have several shots from different angles of the opening including this one, they are really great shots. The Colonnial didn't look this good in the 70's & 80's before it was demolished. It was never a Hooters, it closed as the Colonnial.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to the groundbreaking here!

excitedkid.gif

Great news! Once this is built with it's new neighbour across the street at Queen St. (hopefully) the view down Yonge will be extraordinary.

Speaking of which. Any clue when this might be?

It's expected in the fall. They have approval, so now they have a raft of permits to get.

Gary Switzer spoke at a reception tonight, thrown by Hariri Pontarini Architects, to celebrate HPA's Royal Architectural Institute of Canada Firm Award. Switzer declared that the Massey Tower has been the most technically and organizationally challenging building anyone involved with it has ever worked on.

How often are these preliminary decisions overruled?

Caution: This is a preliminary decision. This decision should not be considered final until the meeting is complete and the City Clerk has confirmed the decisions for this meeting.

I am otherwise ready to reach for my party hat.

It's not a case of it being overruled, it's a case of the document being proofed essentially.

They got the approval. Grab your party hat!

It's expected in the fall. They have approval, so now they have a raft of permits to get.

Gary Switzer spoke at a reception tonight, thrown by Hariri Pontarini Architects, to celebrate HPA's Royal Architectural Institute of Canada Firm Award. Switzer declared that the Massey Tower has been the most technically and organizationally challenging building anyone involved with it has ever worked on.42

Did he elaborate on whether this was due to the municipal process or the design / engineering of the building itself (or both)?

It's quite a complex design - you should see the thickness of some of the concrete walls in this tower.

This is excellent news. One of the most anticipated projects on the go right now. Great for a bunch of reasons: Standout design, impressive height, high profile Yonge street location, stunning heritage property reno (resto?), Massey Hall improvements. Can't wait for this one.

Back