Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Music won out over architecture: the suites were named after luminaries who have played at Massey Hall over the decades: Maria Callas, Gordon Lightfoot, Glenn Gould, Joni Mitchell, Charlie Parker, Ray Charles.....

Did music at the Colonial Tavern - which stood on the site flanked by the two bank buildings for 50 years from 1948 - also win out? Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Peterson, Woody Herman, Maynard Ferguson and Dizzy Gillespie all played in the upstairs dining room.

The restoration of the mosaic floor continues:

Front vestibule:

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Looking across the vestibule to the left:

DSC_0051-2.jpg

To the right (the old Manager's Office):

DSC_0047.jpg

From the Manager's office to the Banking Hall:

DSC_0049-2.jpg

And the reverse:

DSC_0040-1.jpg

The Banking Hall circular mosaic floor fully revealed:

DSC_0039-2.jpg

DSC_0037-2.jpg

Looking back to the front doors (which have been removed for refinishing):

DSC_0048-1.jpg

A strip of 1905 wallpaper hidden under a partition (now removed) in the Manager's office:

DSC_0043-1.jpg

DSC_0045-1.jpg

Last edited:
Are there any photos out there of the bank open back in the day? I'd love to see what that mosaic tile looked like new.

Dear MOD Developments,

Thank you. This is already looking extraordinary. Other developers, please take note. Heritage is an advantage and creates a unique, desirable property.

Wow.. and to think I was in the "facade this building save the other one" group..

Then again I had never seen the inside of this building, only the Bank of Toronto one.

Didn't one of the experts say that the inside of this building was falling apart and not worth saving? (I thought I read that somewhere) I see a lot in there worth saving. Too bad the general public will not get to see it, since it will be a condo amenity. That sucks!

Didn't one of the experts say that the inside of this building was falling apart and not worth saving? (I thought I read that somewhere) I see a lot in there worth saving. Too bad the general public will not get to see it, since it will be a condo amenity. That sucks!

I read that too, but it was the second and third floor that were said to be beyond any hopes of restoration, not the main floor.

Posted by Greenleaf:

Yes - hear, hear.

Count me in on that!!!

Wow! That is quite the interior. How come we didn't know about this 'til now? Watching the restoration work on those mosaic tile floors reminds me a bit of those houses in Pompeii.

Back