Toronto Massey Hall Revitalization at the Allied Music Centre | 48.46m | 7s | KPMB

I don't know why it only now occurred to me, but did they leave all of those support posts in place? I understand the desire to retain things as they were, as they always have been, but all of those obstructed views are really something that I could've lived without. I've enjoyed many shows at Massey Hall, and I'd grown to appreciate many of the venue's quirks, but those posts are one nuisance that I'd have been happy to see gone.

Yes, all the interior support posts remains in place. They did reorganize the seats though, so hopefully it will reduce the obstruction issue.

AoD

Hopefully! I know that it would've been a massive undertaking to remove the posts (I'm assuming the roof would have had to come down so that heavy steel trusses could have been installed), but I've just had too many shows really impacted by the stupid things. Or maybe that's my fault for getting the cheap seats?

But even beyond the visual they were awkward to walk past, to sit beside, and just generally made everything a pain in the ass. More than once I've had tickets just beside the posts, and ended up not being able to see anything because some poor soul beside me bought the obstructed seat without realizing and decided that they therefore had a right to my seat. Even if they just deleted the seats on either side of the post that'd be a big improvement. Don't sell a ticket for something that no one in their right mind would want anyway.

Looking better but hoping for best when finally complete.

DSC03666.JPG

DSC03667.JPG

DSC03668.JPG

DSC03669.JPG

DSC03671.JPG

Does anyone know what the story is with the three bricked-up windows above the main entrance (above the Massey Hall sign). The renderings in the database show two versions - what we see now (brick where the stained glass window panes should be) and other versions showing the stained glass windows. I'm guessing at this late stage they're keeping the brick. I recall reading something about stained glass windows that were lost and never found? Just curious.

There were some that were misplaced, and later found, although I'm not completely certain if that relates to the three bricked-up windows.
This mentions a big chandelier that apparently disappeared.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the story is with the three bricked-up windows above the main entrance (above the Massey Hall sign). The renderings in the database show two versions - what we see now (brick where the stained glass window panes should be) and other versions showing the stained glass windows. I'm guessing at this late stage they're keeping the brick. I recall reading something about stained glass windows that were lost and never found? Just curious.

The bricked up windows are staying bricked - it was discussed pages ago. All the composer stained glass windows were ultimately found.

AoD

They are continuing to do finishing-up on exterior (and, I assume, inside too.) The sidewalks are just about finished, they doors are being re-installed/painted. The LED heritage lighting was being tested . They are working on the exterior brickwork and seem to be cleaning it (yesterday large patches were covered with 'paste' and some areas looked far better than I remember.) They are tidying up inside the glass passageways. ONWARDS!

It seems kind of lazy not to restore something like that. It's one thing not to restore features removed a long time ago. It's another thing to fix up a few things and leave others in bad shape. But it's not always possible to do everything all at once.

Hopefully someone is aware of these issues and will make provisions to address them as revenue starts flowing in again. It wouldn't be the first time a heritage building was restored in stages. Churches stagger the restoration of heritage features and the installation of new features like stained glass windows and murals all the time.

Last edited:

Back