Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

The developer would know how high this building will be going up: it is simply that Daily Commercial News is all over the place when quoting the number of storeys, and just because they are saying 35s does not mean it is so.

Currently on the City of Toronto Development Applications website there are two references to this building, each quoting a different number of floors: one says 33, one says 34.

So, take your pick: the originally approved 32 storeys, the 33 or 34 of the development applications, or the 35 of Daily Commercial News. It would be nice to get a definitive answer at some point, but I'll be fine waiting for the building to be topped off before we know which it is.

The developers asked the City if it could be split into two phases. Does this mean they have sold enough units in the Tower - at south end - so that it (Phase 2) is going ahead at same time as the low-rise portion to the north?

There's only one building that I remember.

The two phases are build the podium. Then build the high rise.

There's only one building that I remember.

The two phases are build the podium. Then build the high rise.

The two phases requested were to build the lower-rise portion to the north first as Phase 1 - this has the 'big-box' Shoppers Drug Mart plus some condo units above - and then build the tower portion further south as Phase 2 once they sold enough units. They wanted to keep the site of the tower as a surface car park.

The two phases requested were to build the lower-rise portion to the north first as Phase 1 - this has the 'big-box' Shoppers Drug Mart plus some condo units above - and then build the tower portion further south as Phase 2 once they sold enough units. They wanted to keep the site of the tower as a surface car park.

I am a purchaser and in my conversations with the developer they said this. They initiated the two phases back in Dec when the condo market tanked as a plan b in the event that the market did not recover and they could not sell enough tower units. They had sold enough podium units to satisfy financing. In May they told me that if sales improved (which they had) that they ultimately would want to build both at the same time as it makes more economic sense. I received a written update from them last month stating that they were proceeding with the podium and the tower shortly afterwards. Groundbreaking ceremony to be announced shortly.

The developer would know how high this building will be going up: it is simply that Daily Commercial News is all over the place when quoting the number of storeys, and just because they are saying 35s does not mean it is so.

Currently on the City of Toronto Development Applications website there are two references to this building, each quoting a different number of floors: one says 33, one says 34.

So, take your pick: the originally approved 32 storeys, the 33 or 34 of the development applications, or the 35 of Daily Commercial News. It would be nice to get a definitive answer at some point, but I'll be fine waiting for the building to be topped off before we know which it is.

From the Staff Report, March 30, 2009 (in part)

(a) the construction of an eight storey podium with approximately 105 apartments (phase 1, Building A) at the north end of the site beginning in 2009;
(b) the continuance of a surface level parking lot on the south end of the site; and
(c) the construction of a 33 storey apartment building with approximately 349 units (phase 2, Building B) at a later date as market conditions permit.

They applied for a Building Permit (Foundations) for Phase 1 on 19 October.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1N1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 09 179985 FND 00 PP Accepted Date: Oct 19, 2009

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Partial Permit - Foundation

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 8 sty mixed use podium (commercial at grade, above grade parkng, and dwelling units). 105 residentail units. PHASE 1 - Market Wharf.
AND this general one too.

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1N1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 09 179985 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Oct 19, 2009

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res New Building

Description: Proposal to construct a 8 sty mixed use podium (commercial at grade, above grade parkng, and dwelling units). 105 residentail units. PHASE 1 - Market Wharf.

No sign of Phase 2 but I suppose its permit applications may be coming. It will take several weeks/months to actually issue these ones anyway.

Parking lot closes November 1st (at least for the portion required for Phase 1), their web site has been updated and says Construction starts November.

This one is going to be kinda weird.
The plot so far..
Basically the podium is going ahead but thats it. Sales for the the tower.Pphtttttt.
That is going to built some time in the future.. we hope..

I remember as a kid living on Midland Ave., in Scarborough, there was this this low flat bunker just north of Midland and Kingston. The folks that lived there could not afford to buld the whole house so the they just built the basement. The main floor was the roof. They lived that way for about 10 years before they finally went ahead and finished the rest of the house. Actually, there were a couple of homes in the area that were just like that.
Interesting, that Market Wharf should stir up these old memories for me.

Back