Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

mls.jpg

^ Would have looked great if they did this...

I like the bases generally speaking, but the towers are even less impressive than I thought they'd be.

My thoughts concur entirely ... the towers are just like any Cityplace condos ... personally I think Success Tower did a better job on the tower portion ~ nonetheless MLS's podium turned out really well though :)

My thoughts concur entirely ... the towers are just like any Cityplace condos ... personally I think Success Tower did a better job on the tower portion ~ nonetheless MLS's podium turned out really well though :)

Actually to be honest ... if you stop and look at any of the individual city place towers (on the west side of Spadina) you'd probably reach the conclusion that each and every city place tower is more interesting then this development ...

Yes the base is nice (not the square, the base i.e. office building / retail portion), the towers are fine but extremely plain. You might stop and give them a second look due to their height but that's pretty much it.

I don't think I can be that harsh. The balconies are fairly interesting here.. and it's still under construction....

What else are you expecting .. regarding the "it's still under construction", we're pretty much viewing the finished product. At least on the lower half.

Maybe I was a little harsh, there's nothing wrong with it - and the renders didn't lead me to think it would be any better but I mean ... you got to admit it's really simple ... no curves, yes the balconies are a little bit interesting but still, it's a giant box, and just to be clear I typically like boxes but not this one.

I think the balconies are at least interesting and the tower as a whole isn't the dreaded box we keep hearing about. If it wasn't for those 2 features, the towers itself would be very plain.

I find the cement pillar for the pedestrian bridge to be little bit tragic - it's actually quite suggestive of the Gardiner piers immeidately to the south. Ick. Overall, however, I really like this space - on game nights it will be jammed. I also love how the main part of Bremner is now bookended by the Skydome at one end and the ACC at the other.

I find the cement pillar for the pedestrian bridge to be little bit tragic - it's actually quite suggestive of the Gardiner piers immeidately to the south. Ick.

The Gardiner is a prominent fixture in the area, and I like the fact that instead of adding yet more new vernacular or clutter to the area, they went with something that visually echoes and lines up with the Gardiner pillars.

What else are you expecting .. regarding the "it's still under construction", we're pretty much viewing the finished product. At least on the lower half.

Without the roof features on a tower, the tower is utterly incomplete. Unless you are saying the ground level is complete which it isn't.

I can't stress enough how important the roof of a tower is to its design.

What I can tell at this point is that the materials on the towers annoy me and that the mullions are very offensive in this context. Give me the podium glass the whole way up the towers, please sir!

Indeed the roof may help this project ...

But still, given it's prominent location a bit something extra here would be nice. It's functional, resembles the renderings, and seems to use fairly medium-high quality materials ... hence it's an okay project.

I really find people are extremely harsh against all the city place towers - yes the bases themselves are not well executed and as a whole it's bit repetitive but HV1/2, West One, N, the new buildings, all have a little something extra I'm talking about! (either they're slightly curved / interesting glass panel feature).

Simply put, they are your typical 'Toronto glass box' in a nut shell. Yes one is technically a pentagon, though its only really noticeable when viewed from one direction, the north east. From a far there is nothing distinctive about this development other than height, much like the B-A center. It remains to be seen how the roof is finished, I agree its architecturally significant. Although I don't think even the most distinctive roof here will do much for these towers.
While theres nothing special about the them, I'd still rather have them. They bring much needed density to the area and better things are yet to come next door anyways.

Now at the street level I think most of us can agree that this project looks to be a success, though of course a final judgment can only be made when they are actually put to use and the building is functionally integrated with its surroundings.

Without the roof features on a tower, the tower is utterly incomplete. Unless you are saying the ground level is complete which it isn't.

I can't stress enough how important the roof of a tower is to its design.

What I can tell at this point is that the materials on the towers annoy me and that the mullions are very offensive in this context. Give me the podium glass the whole way up the towers, please sir!

Utterly, wholly and totally incomplete. They might as well have not even built a tower but just constructed the roof elements and left the rest to the sands of time.

In reality, this tower is substantially complete, encouraging exactly the sort of debate in which we are now engaging. I'm not a huge fan - I like it and I'm happy it's there, but not totally convinced. With regards to the glass, how are mullions only offensive in this context? Of which 'context' are we speaking and what makes it so different from others? Also, I don't think it would be possible to coat MLS in a curtain wall since it comes at more than twice the price of mullion-equipped glass.

Back