Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

I don't get the point of the bridge.

It will allow them to dig away at the south and west walls, but you've still got to keep equipment down there to dig away the centre of the excavation once that's done. Ultimately the bridge has to come out too while there's still equipment gradually stranding itself down there. How does that end really differ from having to dig away at a remaining side ramp? A crane still lifts the shovel out at the end, right?

I suspect it means a much deeper hole. The bridge keeps the access ramp away from all sides so that digging can continue continuously around the perimeter.

From yesterday:

MLS1.jpg

Now that the pit's deeper, the underpass looks even stranger.

MLS2.jpg

The bridge is a temporary measure during the excavation process.

The bridge is in operation and open to the public. It forks with one way leading into the excavation area and the other way leading into the underground parking and loading areas for the ACC. I walked up and down it today after the Jays' game with my father (free Jays neck ties, pretty nice) and with his professional opinion he thinks it is permanent based on the proper grooves for drainage on the surface and electrical hookups (sorry, don't know technical terms).

^ Interesting. My know-nothing counter to your father's professional opinion would be to ask if, since this construction site is going to be in operation for years, wouldn't the bridge need to be built to semi-permanent specs anyway, to handle drainage and meet public safety requirements for the duration?

Never second guess anyone's father. The issue is closed until we are further removed from Father's Day.

Okay, judging by all the renderings I've seen, I'm guessing these towers are not really going to match the way the Air Canada Centre looks?

In my opinion, I think these towers would look stunning if they used the same type of glass the Air Canada Tower uses.

DSC01556.jpg

Perhaps even go a little bit on the same theme of the Air Canada Centre.

The Air Canada Centre is one of my most favourite buildings in Toronto, it also helps being a huge leafs fan, I love everything about it.

are the cranes in yet? it seems that they have been digging forever. i believe they are building the two towers at the same time. is that why it's taking so long to dig?

Back