Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Re: Residences of Maple Leaf Square - Update/Retail

I'm not fond of the design of the two towers but a boutique hotel at street level along with a couple of restaurants sound very promising.

Re: Residences of Maple Leaf Square - Update/Retail

National Post

Link to article

Touch of chic around rink
Letter from south of front

Peter Kuitenbrouwer
National Post

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Back when the Leafs played at Maple Leaf Gardens, hockey fans from out of town could bunk at the Days Inn, next door on Carlton Street.

Yesterday, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. announced a deal to bring a Hotel Le Germain into its Maple Leaf Square condo project beside the Air Canada Centre, a sign of how the average hockey fan has changed: rooms at Le Germain go for $275-$315 a night.

That said, the Le Germain may be the best thing to arrive south of Front Street in awhile, and you have only to meet Christiane Germain to understand why.

Yesterday Ms. Germain, who owns the chain with her brother, Jean-Yves Germain, touched down at her Hotel Le Germain on Mercer Street, which the family built in 2003. She held court in the two-storey 'apartment' ($750 a night) on the top of the eight-storey hotel, to talk about her new Toronto venture.

Ms. Germain wore black knee high riding boots and, over a white blouse with ruffled cuffs worthy of Marie Antoinette, a crinkled black kimono by Marie St-Pierre, a designer in Montreal.

With generic condo towers rising cheek by jowl all over the south edge of Toronto, the area will certainly benefit from the kind of chic touch for which the Quebecois chain is known. Most hotels have 2.5-metre ceilings; Le Germain builds them over three metres, and in the hallway of the Mercer Street hotel is a wood narrow wood shelf with three small indentations, in each of which rests a Granny Smith apple.

"The district is evolving a lot," Ms. Germain notes, speaking of the area around the ACC. "It's not just because there's hockey. It has everything to become an incredible neighbourhood. Let's not forget that you're two blocks from the lake and two blocks from the business core. It's an area full of promise.

"At some point," she continues, "the City of Toronto will get to its waterfront. This is going to be an extremely busy area. There is enormous potential."

The Hotel Le Germain, born in Quebec City in 1988, now counts two hotels in that town, plus one each in Montreal and Toronto. Yesterday after I said goodbye, Ms. Germain caught a flight to Calgary, where she is set to announce another hotel project today.

I ambled down to the CN Tower and east toward the ACC, to examine more closely this area in which Ms. Germain sees so much promise. Give the town planners some credit: they built a beautiful park just east of the Rogers Centre, to frame Steam whistle Brewing in the old Round House. The park offers a grand vista of the Toronto skyline to its north, and of the GO trains rumbling into Union Station.

This park, which rests atop the vast subterranean meeting rooms of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, will become busier as people occupy the condos.

East of the park, workers installed windows on phase two of the Infinity condos; I walked along Bremner Boulevard to York Street, where surveyors worked at the site of Maple Leaf Square; on the north side of Bremner, other workers were starting construction of the office tower for Telus, the phone company.

"By the time we open in less than three years this will be a great neighbourhood," says Richard Peddie, the chief executive of Maple Leaf Sports.

As for Le Germain, "We liked their reputation for quality and service. We like the personal touch. Her [Ms. Germain] and her brother are the owners, just like we're dealing with Tony Longo on the grocery side. We liked that about them." (Longos plans a supermarket for Maple Leaf Square).

Yes, Ms. Germain, from the site of your future hotel, the lake is indeed two blocks away. However, when I tried to get there I braved two traffic islands under the Gardiner Expressway and ended up in a little round park surrounded by a rusting off-ramp. I still couldn't see the lake, and there was no path to get there.

The built form around here, giant condo towers, militates toward sanitized corporate tenants, such as the Quiznos on Queen's Quay where I ate a six inch cheese sub for $4.23, listening to Peter Frampton sing "Show Me the Way."

That's why Le Germain is a welcome addition. I hope, too, that some buildings rent space to little independent sandwich shops, diners and watering holes; it is such diversity and character that truly make a neighbourhood.

I really don't like the design of the project. It's unfortunate it wasn't redesigned.

Should add life to the area though.

^^^^ Neither do I. It's dull and plain, not very exciting as it should be. It's just another typical Toronto skyscraper.

I don't see how a project with two 50s+ condos, a boutique hotel, retail, a fine dining restaurant, the largest sports bar in the city, a large section of office space, an internal retail galleria with a glass ceiling similar to the Eatons Centre a 50,000sqf grocery store, a path connection, a public square, green roofs and an application for LEED silver is "typical".

Do you care to point out the numerous other "typical" examples of this type of partnership between a leading condo developer, office and retail developer and sports and entertainment empire that exist in Toronto?

Mike in TO:

I think he is referring to the architectural aspects of the project.

AoD

AoD,

I know he was, but it is still far from being "typical" - there are many more important aspects to a project than architecture. That said architecturally I don't find the project to be a gem of any kind, but it isn't offensive or typical.

"It's just another typical Toronto skyscraper. "

would you prefer Atlanta?

I think he meant typical in the sense that it is very generic in appearance. Not sure what Atlanta has to do with it.

I don't believe anybody here is opposed to the project and of course the hotel and amenities are positive features of this development. People are merely commenting on the exterior design of the two highrise towers, which many seem to agree, are quite ordinary and bland in appearance.

Speaking for myself, this doesn't mean I was hoping for a 'self-contained' architectural marvel. But perhaps something with a more lively facades, or a setback or two, would have made the building a little more interesting. It's perfectly resonable to question why they didn't go for a more lively tower design, particularly given it's location.

Re: a verision of Empress Walk: Very true. And it may be an 'urban' failure if it is nothing more than a mall which sucks people off the street.

just about everything being built in Atlanta is a self-contained 'landmark' development

It just seems everyone wants something landmark/unique, without realizing in almost every case in NA, the end product is a 'suburban' showcase and/or ugly as sin

You tell em Mike in TO. I completely agree with you. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Since you seem to know so much about this project any word on the music club?

We now know that Longos will be the supermarket and Le Germain will be the hotel, "House of Blues" for the music club?? How astonishing would that be!

Its a nice project, but its not like we havn't seen this before. Its like an Empress Walk with more bells and whistles.

Mike in TO:

I am not complaining about the architecture of this project either - which is certainly above par, IMO. I guess there is the expectation in some quarter that it be more iconic.

AoD

Back