Toronto Maple House at Canary Landing | 89.61m | 26s | Dream | COBE Architects

I was actually looking at the size of the site today and marvelling at how big it was. I feel like it might just barely edge out the Well site. It’ll be fascinating to see it progress.

That lot size will equate to quite a large pit. I wonder how it compares to the size of the Well?

The Well is roughly 31,000 sq m and this is somewhere in the ballpark of 9,000 sq m. The WDL block (3/4/7) directly to the north of the Distillery that is currently a surface parking lot (which is also Cobe for Dream et al; I always get these two mixed up) is actually the bigger one, at roughly 18,000 sq m.

The Well is just massive.

One more from today.
IMG_20200209_152617.jpg

oh wow they actually dug down here. All the other projects in this area have only done 1 level of underground parking so far.

What are those columns in the last posted picture? It looks like they were pre-existing and have been cut off, but I'm sure they are part of the new build. I'm not a construction expert, so I'm just curious what use they have :)

What are those columns in the last posted picture? It looks like they were pre-existing and have been cut off, but I'm sure they are part of the new build. I'm not a construction expert, so I'm just curious what use they have :)
Piles to stabilize the foundation. My understanding is that they are needed if the soil underlayer isn’t stable enough for the building to rest on, though I’m no expert.

they are new, but done prior to excavation by drilling down, then “dig up” once excavation begins.

Piles to stabilize the foundation. My understanding is that they are needed if the soil underlayer isn’t stable enough for the building to rest on, though I’m no expert.

they are new, but done prior to excavation by drilling down, then “dig up” once excavation begins.
Yes, they did same thing on the Time & Space condos on Front Street - which also has only one layer of parking and they did not excavate to bedrock. I assume they go down to bedrock.

Back