South view from Orange.🍊 💦

IMG_6617.jpeg

IMG_6618.jpeg

IMG_6615.jpeg

DSC_2028.jpeg

The pavers make a nice touch.

DSC_2029.jpeg

DSC_2030.jpeg

Work continues near Lemon 🍋.Directly under the bridge now.

IMG_6610.jpeg

Most of the steel barrier has been removed.

IMG_6612.jpeg

DSC_2031.jpeg

Small pet peeve, but I wish they'd get rid of all those ugly orange pylons on the road.

No you can't turn north up a non-existent, fully barricaded Don Roadway.

We get it.

Do we really need 800 meters of orange cones down the turn lane to warn people of the no left turn?

No.
We have all seen examples of Toronto-area drivers so I would say "better safe than sorry" and that there are more important things to complain about.

Holy smokes! That's filling up so fast.

Even if it's not deep, I think we'll have. the sense of a 'full' river in a week or so. Like water will cover the entire river bottom even if it's relatively shallow.

Can't wait to send the drone up this weekend and see what it looks like for the first time ever as an actual river running through it.

Gorgeous shots.
We're forecasted to get double digit temps and rain next Friday in Toronto. Its gonna look really full over the following weekend.

We have all seen examples of Toronto-area drivers so I would say "better safe than sorry" and that there are more important things to complain about.
From my anecdotal walk up Davenport from Yonge today, saw one driving on the sidewalk, another parked up on a sidewalk down a residential street and another screaming it's horn persistently at the clouds. So yeah...I am with you that one. /sigh

I know this opinion is not shared by many, but I hate that they’re leaving that crane there. It doesn’t exactly complement the beautiful, natural environment they’re trying to establish. I get the desire to acknowledge the area’s industrial past, but this is just ugly and feels way overboard.

There. I said it. 😄

I know this opinion is not shared by many, but I hate that they’re leaving that crane there. It doesn’t exactly complement the beautiful, natural environment they’re trying to establish. I get the desire to acknowledge the area’s industrial past, but this is just ugly and feels way overboard.

There. I said it. 😄
It is not for everyone but I will admit that it has grown on me! And the setting is perfect. The view of the skyline from the Red Bridge (tomato?!) is my favourite now and I think much more interesting than the straighton view from The Island.

Last edited:
Here's a couple pics. Not quite as ravishing as the ones contributed, but I was wandering through yesterday, and thought I'd take some snaps.
The feeling that something very big has (and is) happening there is really magnified by going to the area. The huge, subtle curves of the new landscape opening up new vistas to Hearn, off to the distance down Commissioner's...the giant heaps of earth framing downtown through the future Promontory Park, the intricacy of it all - it's really wonderful. I think we're getting something really great here.

stretch.jpg

long landscape.jpg

digdug.jpg

landscape.jpg

long time.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. Like Stanley Park and Mount Royal Park are counterpoints to their respective downtowns this area could be that for Toronto. Water+Park+City

I was thinking the same thing. Like Stanley Park and Mount Royal Park are counterpoints to their respective downtowns this area could be that for Toronto. Water+Park+City

Ok, I do have rather high hopes for the place.........but Mount Royal and Stanley are parks of a different magnitude, the former is nearly 700 acres and the latter ~1000.

This will be much, much smaller.

Tommy Thomson Park (the spit), in conjunction w/Cherry Beach is more similar in area; as are the Islands.

In both cases, there is a need for improved park experience and easier access; but those are other threads!

Ok, I do have rather high hopes for the place.........but Mount Royal and Stanley are parks of a different magnitude, the former is nearly 700 acres and the latter ~1000.

This will be much, much smaller.

Tommy Thomson Park (the spit), in conjunction w/Cherry Beach is more similar in area; as are the Islands.

In both cases, there is a need for improved park experience and easier access; but those are other threads!
You are correct and those were not the best analogues. I have been very impressed with the scale of this project and I keep thinking of how to categorize it if that can be done at this stage. An extension of the ravine system? Comparable to the building of St. Lawrence or Don Mills? I see this as an example of the same forces that are creating Paper Island and HafenCity which our little grumpy burgh is lucky enough to be experiencing on a large scale.

Last edited:
LOL- sure. Nothing like a beautiful smoke stack and power lines as the backdrop of the park.
A lot of the lower visual riff-raff will be subsumed by trees and buildings. What remains there is part of what makes the Portlands interesting - the side-by-side setting of all these outsize contrasts. The huge lake. The sweeps of naturalized lands. The giant bones and means of industry.
Ya gotta love Hearn, though. Imposing and stolid. It's an unreal presence, plus a great placemaker and means of orientation.
I'm really looking forward to see how MVVA negotiates play between the wilding of the riverbed and the intricacy of the public areas. Seeing the magic he worked on a plot as small as Corktown Common, I'm optimistic.

Back