Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

^ Did you happen to read the tree tags to see what they planted? If not, does anyone not what those are? Obviously difficult without leaves. Same with the ground covers. Are the evergreens some kind of cypress?
Alas, no.
Neither my eyes or camera are good enough to read the tags from that distance.
The evergreens may be some sort of trailing juniper. But not sure.

^ Did you happen to read the tree tags to see what they planted? If not, does anyone not what those are? Obviously difficult without leaves. Same with the ground covers. Are the evergreens some kind of cypress?

This I can give you, those are common Juniper.

Juniperus communis

Edit to add:

On closer inspection, the trees are maples, you can tell because the branch arrangement is opposite, which limits it a few species.

There is an acronym for this, MADCAP.
Maples, Ashes, Dogwoods and Caprifoliacae (Honeysuckles and Viburnums) are opposites.

Dogwoods and Honeysuckles, here, are shrubs; And the City doesn't currently plant Ashes due to the Borer.

All other things being equal, probably Acer Freemans; but I can't be sure w/o a closer look, ideally at the leaf. Though there are other clues.

Last edited:
Pictures from Saturday.

_N8A2354.jpeg

_N8A2350.jpeg

_N8A2348.jpeg

_N8A2347.jpeg

Edit. Added one more.

IMG_7807.jpeg

Last edited:
These aerial shots you've been posting @mburrrrr are incredible! 😍
Thanks. The flight was supposed to be Sept 9th but it was cancelled. We got very luckily with the weather and fall colours on this rescheduled date for sure. Not to self; Self, clean the outside window and replace the scratched (from lens cap) polarizing filter. I have a few more to post. I just have to figure out where.

The west PLUG!! From: https://portlandsto.ca/construction/

October 24, 2023

Excavation of the West Plug: 2023-2024​

The crews are starting the last phase of the River Valley Excavation, near ‘the west plug’. This work comes with a minor risk of an unplanned flood in the river valley. There is no risk to the public. But in the unlikely event of an unplanned flood on the construction site, you may hear the evacuation alarm if you are nearby.

The alarm is 3 short blasts of an airhorn. If you hear the airhorn blasts, remember that as a member of the public in the surrounding areas, you are safe. You do not need to evacuate if you hear the alarm.

Why does this work need an evacuation alarm?

We are excavating the soil next to the ‘west plug’. The ‘west plug’ is an underground structure just east of the new Cherry Street bridge. Once we excavate the soil next to it, it is the only structure separating the lake from the excavation area. It is designed to hold back the lake water from entering the river valley, much like a dam. In the unlikely scenario where the dam failed, the lake water would rush into the river valley. All areas surrounding the river valley are at a higher elevation than the lake and would not flood.

As a precaution, our plans include an emergency evacuation protocol. This protocol applies only to the area we are excavating: within the river valley. It does not apply to any area outside of the construction site.

I noticed a few weeks ago that there is what looks like the start of Polson Street East appearing just south of the Yellow bridge, at Polson Street. It may only be a 'construction road' but the plans seem to show it will, one day, connect with Basin Street... Anyone know if they intend to actually build it, or the western part of it, 'soon'?? (2024/25)

1698677989103.png

Anyone know if they intend to actually build it, or the western part of it, 'soon'?? (2024/25)

Apologies if you cannot see the pic here but..

Rocky says: "That big area of gravel is the future extension of Polson Street. Eventually (not part of this project) it will connect Cherry Street and Don Roadway. We already stuck some utility duct banks along the alignment so it will be easy to add the road and other infrastructure later."

Apologies if you cannot see the pic here but..

Rocky says: "That big area of gravel is the future extension of Polson Street. Eventually (not part of this project) it will connect Cherry Street and Don Roadway. We already stuck some utility duct banks along the alignment so it will be easy to add the road and other infrastructure later."

Let me bring the picture forward for everyone lacking previews and/or the click averse:

1698686952619.png

These incredible aerials make it so much more apparent (and it was already extremely apparent) that the Gardiner must go. In this time of unprecedented city growth, we are presented with this generational opportunity to fix a scar. Why is the right decision so difficult to make?
Simple answer.... it is too expensive for the City to knock it down and replace it with (the obviously better) at-ground road and they hope to have it taken over by the Province who will certainly not tear it down. It is going nowhere, unfortunately.

Back