Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

IMG_3501.jpeg

Toronto Star: Port Lands gas plant emissions seven times too high for new development at mouth of Don River

Key bit from the above:

1726062059265.png

A full read suggests even w/sealed windows/no balconies heights at/above 35s may be imperiled.

I'd have to read the underlying study to more carefully assess the impact. I will. Its attached to the 309 Cherry St. files.

There is also an implication that this may impact the East Harbour site as well.

Link to the 309 Cherry App for purposes of accessing the above study:

Key bit from the above:

View attachment 595421

A full read suggests even w/sealed windows/no balconies heights at/above 35s may be imperiled.

I'd have to read the underlying study to more carefully assess the impact. I will. Its attached to the 309 Cherry St. files.

There is also an implication that this may impact the East Harbour site as well.

The story mentions the plant's contract was recently extended to 2034. Hopefully the contract will not be renewed, and tower construction can proceed then. It may depend which party rules in Ontario when it's time to renew the contract!

1000022946.jpg

Wow. I mean, they spoke about residency in 2030. So maybe everyone can hold their breath for four years? Also, I don’t know if I’d even trust sealed windows

How many solar panels and wind turbines (the designs have improved) would be needed to replace the gas plant? In addition, the air conditioning to most of the buildings could be attached to the Enwave Deep Lake Water Cooling network.

Solar panels and Wind Turbines cannot be used to replace baseload power unless and until Ontario has energy storage that will hold the resulting power for future use. That is do-able, but is not yet available in Ontario (though it may be soon)

That said, the PEC is a 550MW, expanding to 600MW facility.

Which works out to ~150 Wind Turbines.

Key bit from the above:

View attachment 595421

Alternatively, could we just build taller smokestacks?

power.PNG

Back