Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I kinda hate this, looks like an amusement park. I thought this was supposed to be a natural marsh with a boardwalk around it and some lookout spots. This is more human recreation focused than nature wilderness focused. The Bentway would be a much better spot for an art trail.
You know the goofy crayola sculptures... are placeholders, right? I'll bet the real thing(s) will come from a curated design competition.

...plus I see a lot of winding paths, undulating landscapes and organic waterways instead. And not so much of Ferris wheels, roller coasters and bumper car spectacles. So if this an amusement park, this is one I definitely want to go to and experience.

Infrastructure and Environment Committee consideration on July 7, 2022
IE31.13
ACTION​
Ward: 14​
Port Lands Flood Protection - Interim Road Opening (Cycling Infrastructure)
Origin
(June 23, 2022) Report from the General Manager, Transportation Services​
Recommendations
The General Manager, Transportation Services recommends that:

1. City Council authorize a northerly westbound cycle track on Commissioners Street, from Cherry Street (west intersection) and a point 30 metres east of Cherry Street (east intersection).

2. City Council authorize a southerly eastbound cycle track on Commissioners Street, from Cherry Street (west intersection) and a point 30 metres east of Cherry Street (east intersection).

3. City Council authorize a temporary westerly northbound and southbound cycling lane on Cherry Street, between a point 23 metres south of Polson Street and a point 104 metres further south, from August 8 to December 31, 2022.

4. City Council authorize the appropriate City officials to submit directly to Council at the appropriate time any necessary bills to amend the appropriate City of Toronto Municipal Code Chapters, and any Schedules to the Chapters, to reinstate the traffic and parking regulations to what they were immediately prior to the by-law amendments made in connection with the report (June 23, 2022) from the General Manager, Transportation Services.

5. City Council authorize the City Solicitor to amend City of Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 886, Footpaths, Pedestrian Ways, Bicycle Paths, Bicycle Lanes and Cycle Tracks, to introduce the necessary bills to give effect to City Council's decision and City Council authorize the City Solicitor to make any necessary clarifications, refinements, minor modifications, technical amendments, or by-law amendments as may be identified by the City Solicitor or General Manager, Transportation Services, in order to give effect to Recommendations 1 to 4, inclusive, above.​

It’s definitely the bridge. I saw a post on LinkedIn from someone involved in the project saying it was now on a boat heading this way.
Excellent! It is now approaching Tadoussac - lovely place! Let's hope it does not crash into a whale.

1656513825883.png

Excellent! It is now approaching Tadoussac - lovely place! Let's hope it does not crash into a whale.

Ah!, I was in Tadoussac just a couple of months ago for a few hours. Took the free ferry across for the fun of it and it is a nice town.

You know the goofy crayola sculptures... are placeholders, right? I'll bet the real thing(s) will come from a curated design competition.

Yeah the rendering is both good and bad; the placeholders are a tad too cartoon-ish giving it an childish feel. I can understand the OP's thoughts that it should be more of a nature preserve/walk, but I think having curated arts installation (most of which will be changing it seems!) is a nice addition for passerbys.

I kinda hate this, looks like an amusement park. I thought this was supposed to be a natural marsh with a boardwalk around it and some lookout spots. This is more human recreation focused than nature wilderness focused. The Bentway would be a much better spot for an art trail.

I wouldn't go that far but it does look a bit too pre-programmed and staged for my liking.

Assuming they keep moving, the other bridges took about 4-5 days to make it here from about where the two tugs are now. I predict an arrival next Monday!
The reply I received back from McKeil:

It’s actually the Beverly M with her barge the Glovertown Spirit that you should be tracking on MarineTraffic, not the Lois M. MarineTraffic is an excellent resource, probably even better than us.

Right now, the Beverly M is due to arrive in the Toronto vicinity some time after lunch on July 2. As there are factors that can affect the exact arrival time, we would recommend you keep your eye on MarineTraffic. Hope the weather is good for photos!

Currently the Beverly M is nearing Riviere du Loup, as is the Lois M. Perhaps they are working in tandem as some photos show tugs fore and aft of the barge carrying the bridge.

Currently the Beverly M is nearing Riviere du Loup, as is the Lois M. Perhaps they are working in tandem as some photos show tugs fore and aft of the barge carrying the bridge.

I wonder if they brought two boats because of the issues with the high winds and keeping the bridge straight through the channel last time?

Back