Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I noted that in Matt Elliott's latest newsletter he highlighted aspects of this report, including a more detailed rendering of what the Gardiner East will look like post-reconstruction (I refuse to call it the "hybrid") that I'm not sure I'd seen before(?).

1603810740722.png

This whole process and build out is so exiting and I look forward in anticipation of this for years to come. Especially during this awful time due to Covid-19 I'm so happy that Urban Toronto with all the peoples opinions, good , bad , and indifferent, and all the images of what's to come, keep my imagination and hope for the future positive. Thank you.

I noted that in Matt Elliott's latest newsletter he highlighted aspects of this report, including a more detailed rendering of what the Gardiner East will look like post-reconstruction (I refuse to call it the "hybrid") that I'm not sure I'd seen before(?).

View attachment 279218

You can tell it is a relatively old render - the new Cherry Street bridges aren't using the current design.

AoD

You can tell it is a relatively old render - the new Cherry Street bridges aren't using the current design.

AoD

Yeah, it's all a bit disjointed and confusing (at least to my simple mind): in the some of the renderings in the DRP doc, for instance, the Gardiner realignment isn't pictured.

A small example of Brutalist (or Modernist ?) design.The elevated control room of the Cherry Street lift bridge is no longer in use due to a major mechanical malfunction in 2019. Built in 1968 across the Keating Channel, the bridge will be replaced with a sleek modern version just west of it's current location along the realigned Cherry Street next month. It will not have lift capability and won't open until revitalization of the Lower Don Lands / Port Lands is complete in 2024. Very difficult to view the controls due to heavy mesh screens. Architect R.M Bremner.

20201029_114613.jpg

_1120631.jpg

_1120626.jpg

_1120635 (1).jpg

Last edited:
A small example of Brutalist design.The elevated control room of the Cherry Street lift bridge is no longer in use due to a major mechanical malfunction in 2019. Built in 1968 across the Keating Channel, the bridge will be replaced with a sleek modern version just west of it's current location along the realigned Cherry Street next month. It will not have lift capability and won't open until revitalization of the Lower Don Lands / Port Lands is complete in 2024. Very difficult to view the controls due to heavy mesh screens. Architect R.M Bremner.

View attachment 279655

View attachment 279656

View attachment 279657

View attachment 279658
Not Brutalist. More Modernist/International Style. I've always loved that little, Miesian-looking gem. I hope it's preserved and restored.

A small example of Brutalist design.The elevated control room of the Cherry Street lift bridge is no longer in use due to a major mechanical malfunction in 2019. Built in 1968 across the Keating Channel, the bridge will be replaced with a sleek modern version just west of it's current location along the realigned Cherry Street next month. It will not have lift capability and won't open until revitalization of the Lower Don Lands / Port Lands is complete in 2024. Very difficult to view the controls due to heavy mesh screens. Architect R.M Bremner.

View attachment 279655

View attachment 279656

View attachment 279657

View attachment 279658
Though I may be wrong, I am pretty sure the bridge was open a couple of weeks ago when I was in the neighbourhood so they may have repaired the controls.

Please don't let at least ten men weighing at least 300 pounds each jump simultaneously inside it.
...or 10 of 300 lbs of anything doing aerobics for that fact.

Not Brutalist. More Modernist/International Style. I've always loved that little, Miesian-looking gem. I hope it's preserved and restored.
I like to use the term "cute"...

View attachment 279655

View attachment 279656

View attachment 279657

View attachment 279658

Always loved that quirky little thing. I too hope that it will be preserved in some way. I seem to vaguely recall it being very dark brown or black though going way back...

The first bridge officially set sail today and is on its way towards Toronto:

Thx for the route info !

Oh ok ... thx for the reply.

Can you reference similar in Toronto ?

I can see the modernist aspect in the stairs for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you reference similar in Toronto ?

Back