Welland Lock & Quay | ?m | ?s | LIV Communities

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
In keeping with @Edward Skira 's plans for UT's Global domination......

I bring you news of development from the hinterlands.......... Welland, Ontario.

Per the above, ~61 hectares of land along the Welland Recreational Canal has been sold to Liv Communities by the Town City of Welland for development purposes.

Plans call for between 3,800 - 4,500 residential units.

That's a density of between 62- 74 units per hectare or 25 to 30 units per acre.

One rendering can be found in the above article, I'm under the perception it is purely conceptual:

1654522564568.png

My immediate comments are that the parkland seems a bit narrow..........and what's this nonsense of parking lots up against the parkland/canal?

* note my characterization of Welland as per instructions from @cd concept LOL

Last edited:
Well, there's a missed opportunity: this project obviously should have been dubbed "Northern Light."

I bring you news of development from the hinterlands.......... Welland, Ontario.

Per the above, ~61 hectares of land along the Welland Recreational Canal has been sold to Liv Communities by the Town of Welland for development purposes.

That's a density of between 62- 74 units per hectare or 25 to 30 units per acre.

One rendering can be found in the above article, I'm under the perception it is purely conceptual:

View attachment 405206

My immediate comments are that the parkland seems a bit narrow..........and what's this nonsense of parking lots up against the parkland/canal?
Obvious flaws aside, this project can only make Welland less of a hole than it is...

Per the above, ~61 hectares of land along the Welland Recreational Canal has been sold to Liv Communities by the Town of Welland for development purposes.

View attachment 405206

For those who care, Welland is the third largest city in the Niagara region of nearly 60.000 it's not a town lol !

It's hard to fathom 4,000 or more units. Those renderings could look a lot better. The integration with Merritt Island walking/biking trails is a positive, and the integration to Seaway Mall will hopefully help that struggling mall. Niagara used to have 4 viable malls (2 in St Kitts, Niagara Square in NF, and Seaway in Welland). Now it's just the (1.1M sq ft) Pen Centre in St. Catharines, and (500k sq ft) Seaway Mall struggling to maintain relevancy in the 2020s.

Welland's population, currently about 57k-58k, is going to skip right through the 60k mark onto the 70,000 level in the next 5-10 years.
Welland may be post-industrial, boring, and have a currently dead downtown but having travelled all across North America there's many places even worse off, including in Ontario.
The city's best strength is Niagara College, which is probably one of the best community colleges in Canada. That and proximity to wine country, golf courses, good hiking (Niagara escarpment), fishing, boating nearby, and proximity to Hamilton and Buffalo are its best assets.

The one thing that completely shocks me is people will apparently pay $800k, 900k, $1M for a house in Welland. 2020s are strange times.

Last edited:
What in the Welland is going on here lol. Oh boy my birth city is growing up. Some good stuff here and some not so good. I'll have to dig into this a bit more.

What in the Welland is going on here lol. Oh boy my birth city is growing up. Some good stuff here and some not so good. I'll have to dig into this a bit more.
Welland, that in our youth seemed perpetually stuck around 45,000 people with maybe 50 or so new dwelling units a year...
is now around 57,000-58,000 people with 944 new dwelling units in 2022.

Only 2400+ new dwelling units (2020-2022). More growth in the last 5 years than our entire lives hehe

Maybe, hopefully, eventually? downtown can get in on the growth.
Anything would be an improvement from its current "zombie apocalypse" state 😆

Last edited:

Back