Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Nope! It's not at all a small truck ... that's the same size truck they use for carying away dirt / rocks at any condo site.

It's a really big hole!

The Leslie St spit is clearly a bit of Toronto thinking small! If they dumped all that clean fill in a straight line, we would have a causeway a third of the way to St. Catharines by now! Five or six more construction boom-bust cycles and it could be complete! All at no cost to the taxpayer! Rob Ford would agree! Exclamation points!

Personally, I think they should start dumping the excess fill on the outer shore of the Islands, to counteract the erosion that's taking place.

Personally, I think they should start dumping the excess fill on the outer shore of the Islands, to counteract the erosion that's taking place.

Being as the Leslie Spit itself is thought to be responsible for altered currents which contribute to Toronto Island erosion, this seems a logical alternative after some form of breakwall is built.

Exactly. There's talk of ending the dumping at the Leslie Street Spit, now that it's a nature preserve, so another place will have to be found. Using excavation waste as fill for the outer shore of the Islands would kill two birds with one stone.

Nope! It's not at all a small truck ... that's the same size truck they use for carying away dirt / rocks at any condo site.

It's a really big hole!

Hahaha! I was just kidding! considering Hydrogen was kidding about the question all together. The truck looks like a little toy truck in that pic! :p

Surprising ad in the Globe - January 13

There is an ad in the Globe today, from Otéra Capital, affiliated with the Caisse in Quebec, that announces project financing for Living Shangri-La. This is nice news, as I think this project is gorgeous. But I don't recall ever seeing an ad of this nature before.

It says, "$408,000,000 PROJECT FINANCING -- Otéra Capital is pleased to announce project financing for the construction of Living Shangri-La, Toronto", and then goes on with a bit of info about the project and about Otéra. It's like a little birth announcement for this building, and I like it.

There is an ad in the Globe today, from Otéra Capital, affiliated with the Caisse in Quebec, that announces project financing for Living Shangri-La. This is nice news, as I think this project is gorgeous. But I don't recall ever seeing an ad of this nature before.

It says, "$408,000,000 PROJECT FINANCING -- Otéra Capital is pleased to announce project financing for the construction of Living Shangri-La, Toronto", and then goes on with a bit of info about the project and about Otéra. It's like a little birth announcement for this building, and I like it.

The same ad is in the Post. This financing was arranged a long time ago. The announcement now has more to do with getting the Otera name out in the financial community as anything else. CDP recently restructured their real estate operations and created Otera to handle their commercial mortgage debt. The problem is that there is not a lot of new lending going on so the opportunities to get the new name in the paper are few and far between (which, given the negative press about CDP lately is something they would like to do)....so you announce a previously done deal that has some profile, gets the new name and logo in the paper and (as a nice little side effect for the borrower) quiets any rumours going around that the project might not go ahead.

Next thing you know they will be putting an announcement in the paper that they are pleased to announce that they are financing Maple Leaf Square (which they are but the sign on that project references their subsidiary MCAP who used to do for them what Otera will do in the future......I think MCAP is still part of CDP but they do debt for other people/institutions).

Thanks for that clarification. I still take it as good news, even if its not news as you point out. Maybe they could run an ad - Otéra Capital - We're still here.

Thanks for that clarification. I still take it as good news, even if its not news as you point out. Maybe they could run an ad - Otéra Capital - We're still here.

In the real estate finance industry, we would say "they just did!!!"...that is essentially what that ad says.

and it's getting bigger

It's a really big hole!

This is a 'really big hole' that's getting bigger/deeper every week. Thought they had excavated to the base level on the south side last week but walking by today I see they're jackhammering another level lower. This must be one of the deepest excavations ever in the city. Anyone know what the record is for depth for a project in Toronto?

Back