Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

They've started bricking the old inn on the south side of the building. They're about halfway up the first floor. Amazing to see those old bricks back in place!

I asked one of the workers laying the bricks whether they were 'numbered'. He replied that 'no' they were not, and that newer bricks are being mixed in with the old which had deteriorated so badly. You have to wonder at what point facadism becomes pointless.

I asked one of the workers laying the bricks whether they were 'numbered'. He replied that 'no' they were not, and that newer bricks are being mixed in with the old which had deteriorated so badly. You have to wonder at what point facadism becomes pointless.

Yup, I watched them for a while yesterday and noticed that they weren't adhering to any particular order but were instead examining seemingly random bricks from the pile to determine where best to lay them.

At some point facadism does become pointless (see RCMI) however I don't believe that this is so in this case. Assuming that the newer bricks are of the same quality as the older bricks, they will age and become indistinguishable from the original brick. What's worth preserving isn't so much any particular piece of brick but the integrity of the original form and design of the structure, which is what they're doing.

Taken today by me.
Sorry, my focus was on the fence by accident and not the bricks haha.

2010.10.19%20Shangri-La%20(1).jpg

It was really hard to get any shots of the brickwork.

2010.10.19%20Shangri-La%20(2).jpg

2010.10.19%20Shangri-La%20(3).jpg

And a panorama while I'm at it...

2010.10.19%20Shangri-La%20Panorama.jpg

Agree.
I find the first shot really gives the impression of "old" which is what I think they were trying to achieve.
I can't tell without looking and knowing that they are interspercing new with old brick that it is anything but old.
If the finished product looks anything near as good as that small section, I agree with Redroom. Fantastic.

They need to preserve the integrity of the original design for a 'good' facade transplantation. Otherwise, it is indeed pointless. The materials don't have to be all original as long as they closely conform to the original material choices.

yeah...this is one is just going up fast now. Its already having big impact on Univestity Street wall.
Does anyone know at what floor they at now?

I counted 11 floors yesterday morning. They were forming the floors on the 11th level. I try to keep a daily track of the progress on this one with daily updates on construction that I see as I head to work everymoring. I post them on skyscraperpages main construction page and sometimes here as well. I dont walk on the simcoe side so I dont comment on the brickwork progress.

Back