Toronto Linea on Bayview | ?m | 3s | Symmetry | Teeple Architects

Looks like there are built in elevators in all the floorplans. Wonder if that can be changed with a price adjustment.

^^^ I guess one expects certain things when you're paying $800K - $1M.

URBAN!TY said:
This is what ALL townhomes we're building should look like... no more of that "classically" styled suburban stuff.

Ditto that, now only if they could make them more affordable to the public.

Imagine what this city would have been like if some of those stacked TH in King West were designed along these lines.

THAT would make KW truly desirable to the Freed crowd.

Daily Commercial News

MODs... just a though :):

Linea on Bayview (Symmetry Dev, 3s, Teeple)

TOWNHOUSES
Proj: 9106804-1
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/WORKING DRAWINGS
Linea on Bayview, Bayview and Sheppard Aves, M4A
$32,000,000 est

Start: December, 2009

Complete: October, 2010

Note: Sales and marketing are underway. Preliminary Working drawings are ongoing. Schedules for completion of Working drawings, Sub trade tender and construction will be finalized Winter, 2009 based on occupancy. Further update November, 2009.
www.lineaonbayview.com www.symmetrydevelopments.ca

Project: concrete foundation, CMU block structural frame, masonry exterior, fuel fired heating system, private elevators; stainless steel appliances; built-in kitchen pantry; grantite countertops; various interior finishes; proposed construction of eleven three-storey townhouse units in one structure. Units will feature three-bedroom plus den layouts, 12-foot ceilings, and will range in size from 2,700 to 2900 sq ft.

Scope: 31,000 square feet; 3 storeys; 1 storey below grade; 11 units

Development: New

This report Tue Aug 25, 2009.

http://dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=e237471e88ec901ce6153061879cf1d37a0ccf05&projectid=9106804&region=ontario

I don't get it ... how can the developer sell for under cost ... that's $1000PSF???

or was there an error in reporting???

TOWNHOUSES
Proj: 9106804-1
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/WORKING DRAWINGS
Linea on Bayview, Bayview and Sheppard Aves, M4A
$32,000,000 est

Project: concrete foundation, CMU block structural frame, masonry exterior, fuel fired heating system, private elevators; stainless steel appliances; built-in kitchen pantry; grantite countertops; various interior finishes; proposed construction of eleven three-storey townhouse units in one structure. Units will feature three-bedroom plus den layouts, 12-foot ceilings, and will range in size from 2,700 to 2900 sq ft.

Scope: 31,000 square feet; 3 storeys; 1 storey below grade; 11 units

The problem with these Linea townhomes is that there's only 11 of them, along some random block along Bayview. There should be 111 of them...several streets with rows of them on *both* sides.

There's been a few decent rowhouse/townhouse projects built in recent decades in Toronto but most are either components of a condo's podium or tucked away down some cul-de-sac laneway where they're isolated from the rest of the neighbourhood, usually surrounded by parking, too. Either way, there's usually only 4 to, at most, 20. It'd be so wonderful to have a couple of streets like Granlea and Irvington (SW corner of Bayview & Sheppard, a few blocks south of Linea's site) redeveloped into 200 or so rowhouses/townhomes like Linea. An entire block with them on both sides, with real backyards, perhaps alleys out back to supplement on-street parking, etc. But developers don't build this kind of thing and the city does nothing to encourage it.

The problem with these Linea townhomes is that there's only 11 of them, along some random block along Bayview. There should be 111 of them...several streets with rows of them on *both* sides.

Well, I'm not sure why this you consider this spot to be any more random than anywhere else along Bayview, and yes the city could use more of this, but, you'd be happy to know that this small strip of Bayview (North of Sheppard) is being transformed into purely 3.5 story townhouses. There have been 3 projects just like this built/proposed in the last 5 years or so (although this is the first not to use sick-o-beige-o-stucc-o). Still, I think the vision you described is what the area is headed for.

Well, I'm not sure why this you consider this spot to be any more random than anywhere else along Bayview, and yes the city could use more of this, but, you'd be happy to know that this small strip of Bayview (North of Sheppard) is being transformed into purely 3.5 story townhouses. There have been 3 projects just like this built/proposed in the last 5 years or so (although this is the first not to use sick-o-beige-o-stucc-o). Still, I think the vision you described is what the area is headed for.

No, what I described is clearly not happening. Yes, it is a random spot...it's not part of any coordinated vision, despite the presence of dissimilar townhouse complexes on a few other blocks along Bayview.

I don't get it ... how can the developer sell for under cost ... that's $1000PSF???

or was there an error in reporting???

There has to be some error in the report.

11 at 800 K - 1.15 MIL --say average price is 900K = $9.9 MIL

He paid $666K for each home -- i beleive there are 5 homes he purchased. 5 x $666K = $3.33 MIL

Construction costs are probably around $120/ft with the driveway at the back. Like any developper he will skim on some of the covered rough construction but he has to pave a large driveway at the back, some expensive exteriors and the added elevator costs. Each is around 2000Sqft.

2000x11 = 22 000 SQFT
22 000 x $120 = $2.64 MIL

$3.33 MIL (Land HARD Cost)
$1.10 MIL (Land SOFT Cost)
$2.64 MIL (Construction Cost)
$500K (Marketing/Borrowing Costs)

Total: $7.57 MIL

$9.9 MIL - $7.57 MIL = $2.33 MIL

He may have his construction costs cost less but these are just rough approximations. The others just north of him were building cheaper Stucco designed Townhomes along Bayview and are asking around $900K (I see them making an acceptable Profit) The $2.33 MIL profit margin here seems low; also I didnt factor that the last 4 units to be sold (1 Sold Conditionally) he pays 6% commission on. 3% to each broker.

Lets just say its $2 MIL total profit.....something still off IMHO.

^ ^ ^

yeah, i think the figure in the report must have it's decimal point off by 1 digit to the left, more like $3.2 million and not $32 million.

otherwise, the developer would be losing upwards of $30 million to build these 11 THs ... lol, no business person would do that.

^ ^ ^

yeah, i think the figure in the report must have it's decimal point off by 1 digit to the left, more like $3.2 million and not $32 million.

otherwise, the developer would be losing upwards of $30 million to build these 11 THs ... lol, no business person would do that.

Yes. Something very off with these numbers here. and also the last four unitz are 8% not the 6% i mentionned....really on the development(not making assumption on the builder) as he seems to be a relatively new builder and I have not seen any of his work (only other project I see him done is a missisauga shopping complex) but I forecast that construction will suffer; in terms of all structural/engineering aspects will be at par-level with code to cut down as much cost as possible. I see this type of work down MANY TIMES in infill Custom Home and small townhome projects. In a subdivision home in the GTA--this is what is the BEST you can expect.

SPEAKING ABOUT THE AREA

I am liking the idea of the townhomes along bayview. That Seaship building daniels put up in the parking lot of Bayview Village brought a good defined unique look. With the mall and the subway right there. THe townhomes are another great options for the majority of buyers in the area. Condos being the most bought there and also new custom homes in that area which seems to be growing at exponential rates which is always a good sign :D

Right! After a fairly lengthy delay, I have it on good authority that construction is going to start first week of September on these townhomes.

Despite an admitted bias (!) I sincerely believe these homes will be a valuable and important addition to the area. My own mom lives up the street in a Ron Thom, and i see these as a bit of a progression from that state.

Symmetry you should be updating. This is going to look great.
LineaWindow1.jpg

LineaWindow2.jpg

Back