Markham Langstaff Gateway | ?m | ?s | Condor Properties Ltd | IBI Group

York Region is building out 3 major centres at VMC, Langstaff/High-tech and Markham Centre. This string of pearls is tied with the 407 transitway and Highway 7 BRT. This will help make better service viable and useful in the region.

There is going to be intensification in York Region and unfortunately I don't think we'll see it in the missing middle style as it's all so new and not likely to change fast. We need to accomodate growth and this is the best option of limited alternatives to locate it.

If we want to maintain employment lands at large we need to locate residential and office in places like this.

It's going to be dense, but if we get the public amenities and ground plane right this could be positive. And it's going to be developed not at once but in 25-30 years. The styles and tastes will change so I don't think we should fear 80 storey spandrel boxes. We'll get a range of styles.
York Region municipalities are taking our housing supply crisis seriously. Other municipalities in the region are not. Dare I say despite the huge number of proposals, Toronto included.

You can see the scale of development proposed at VMC in this thread.

York Region municipalities are taking our housing supply crisis seriously. Other municipalities in the region are not. Dare I say despite the huge number of proposals, Toronto included.

You can see the scale of development proposed at VMC in this thread.

It's not entirely altruistic - gotta keep those development charges flowing and the campaign donors happy!

But I do think it's fair to say that where the Province has given them the infrastructure, they have gone all in on maximizing the development potential around it. Toronto folks can complain about the Vaughan subway going "nowhere" but comparing VMC to your average Danforth-area station, I don't have a lot of time to hear it.

As it stands, the Langstaff and High Tech TOCs are going to be arguably the most significant intensification outside of downtown, certainly outside 416.

I found a website made by the government that shows more details about the bridge TOC: engagebridge.ca
Screenshot 2022-10-26 12.33.45 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-10-26 12.34.31 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-10-26 12.34.43 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-10-26 12.34.52 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-10-26 12.36.06 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-10-26 12.36.45 PM.png

Tallest building going all the way up to 263 meters!

Saw this posted on Twitter in May but don't recall seeing a sales centre.
Lots of activity in the area but seems more like they are building infrastructure (roads and sewers).
Does anyone know what's going on? Is there a thread for this development?

Screenshot 2023-08-18 054824.jpg

They have been doing servicing here for a while. I’d be surprised if they have started construction already as they haven’t done condo sales yet.

Almost 15 years since I opened this thread. Who says we can't do big things fast? The subway extension delay kept this from happening.
Ford should push the get the Subway up to Steeles as fast as possible if not up to Hwy7.
How many residents will be housed in these three locations?
Yonge & Steeles, Yonge North and South Hwy 7?
52809427646_383c048999_k.jpg
2.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 9.46.46 AM.png

Attachments

• 52761721716_1dd0df0d96_k.jpg
    52761721716_1dd0df0d96_k.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
This is insanity really. The density is too much and too focused on Yonge Street. We can't have a metropolis where 1/4 people live on 1 street. Not everyone will take transit on every trip, and the subway is already highly used. How will people move around these super nodes? What public amenities will be there to make it a true community (e.g. where are the parks? schools? community centres? ) vs. just densely packed towers without any thought of what humans need to live. I'm all for density but this is over the top.

This is insanity really. The density is too much and too focused on Yonge Street. We can't have a metropolis where 1/4 people live on 1 street. Not everyone will take transit on every trip, and the subway is already highly used. How will people move around these super nodes? What public amenities will be there to make it a true community (e.g. where are the parks? schools? community centres? ) vs. just densely packed towers without any thought of what humans need to live. I'm all for density but this is over the top.
Seems particularly problematic now that the subway station is on the east side of the site. This is why I was wondering if they would revise the planning for this to have more of the density focused on the east part of the site.

Seems particularly problematic now that the subway station is on the east side of the site. This is why I was wondering if they would revise the planning for this to have more of the density focused on the east part of the site.

The east side of which site?
At Langstaff, the station was moved from the west side to the centre of that development (west of Yonge is all hydro corridor there). High Tech is also pretty central.
Clark, Royal Orchard and Steeles stations are all pretty much right on Yonge Street.

The questions above are all good ones. Nothing here is actually approved yet so I'm sure those are questions the munis will be asking too. It'll be a planning challenge, for sure.

They have been doing servicing here for a while. I’d be surprised if they have started construction already as they haven’t done condo sales yet.
Yeah, it's all servicing and infrastructure. The buildings will come later (and who knows when that might be given the current BoC rate environment...).

Back