Mississauga Lakeview Village | ?m | ?s | Argo Developments | Sasaki

Province doubles size of Mississauga development with MZO, mayor has concerns.

A Minister Zoning Order (MZO) announced May 12 will almost double the size of a housing development planned for Mississauga, causing concern for the city's mayor who says the order came as a surprise.

The zoning order will allow the Lakeview Village development to include an expected 16,000 new residential units, according to a news release. An MZO allows the province to regulate the use of land anywhere in Ontario and override municipal zoning bylaws.

The orders will help the province in its fight against the housing crisis, the release said. But Bonnie Crombie, the city's mayor, says the move is concerning. She says it was originally agreed the city could comfortably accommodate 8,000 residential units as part of the development on Lakeshore Road East.

"This is quite a significant departure from 8,000 units and my fear is that the infrastructure will not be there to support it," Crombie said at an unrelated media availability Monday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mississauga-lakeview-village-mzo-1.6844018
Another note here - the MZO also exempts the entire project from Site plan control (!!!!) for some reason.

The province gave itself this power a year or two ago, but this is the first time I've seen it applied. It's also the most concerning aspect of the entire thing in my opinion, as Site Plan Control often deals with technical matters and the detailed design of buildings.

Exempting the entire project means the developer needs to only file for permits for each building, and the only test will be if it meets the MZO zoning requirements.
The City of Mississauga has effectively 0 planning overview of the project. Better hope Argo is a responsible developer who thinks through their plans (ha!)..

Another note here - the MZO also exempts the entire project from Site plan control (!!!!) for some reason.

The province gave itself this power a year or two ago, but this is the first time I've seen it applied. It's also the most concerning aspect of the entire thing in my opinion, as Site Plan Control often deals with technical matters and the detailed design of buildings.

Exempting the entire project means the developer needs to only file for permits for each building, and the only test will be if it meets the MZO zoning requirements.
The City of Mississauga has effectively 0 planning overview of the project. Better hope Argo is a responsible developer who thinks through their plans (ha!)..

It would be pushing it; but I don't wonder if there isn't a constitutional challenge to be had here.

Cities, as such, have no rights under our constitution; but people do.

A large-scale 'exemption from oversight' could be inferred to jeopardize certain individual rights and to do so in a manner that may not be easily correctable.

It would be pushing it; but I don't wonder if there isn't a constitutional challenge to be had here.

Cities, as such, have no rights under our constitution; but people do.

A large-scale 'exemption from oversight' could be inferred to jeopardize certain individual rights and to do so in a manner that may not be easily correctable.
Reading into it a bit more, the EMZO (i.e no SPA) process apparently will include a "provincial development facilitator" which will still review individual development applications, so perhaps it's not entirely straight-to-building-permit.. But I'm not certain of the exact extent of review. I'd love to know more but it's hard to find information on it.

you have to be careful with the definition too - "attainable" could simply mean 10% of units are small studios to hit a minimum price point at market rates.
Yes, this is a good point. The statement from the Province is effectively meaningless IMO, and I'm guessing there are no specific targets included in the MZO.
"provincial development facilitator"
With that title, my mind leads to "Developer's Lunch Buddy"

A review without over site is not really a review, IMO...

With that title, my mind leads to "Developer's Lunch Buddy"

Given the scale of this project, most of it will be developed with a party other than PC in charge.

I'm not entirely sure the developer asked for this as a municipally approved Site Plan provides stability through changing governments. An individual at the provincial level who changes with the government could cause a lot more future headaches than the SPC process.

Question for the users on this thread:

I saw Bonnie Crombie mention in a news article about her displeasure about the MZO that this would affect the "Rangeview" development, but I hadn't heard of that, nor do I see a thread for that

Here's a website though: https://rangeviewmississauga.com/

Is there a thread for that? Is that connected or from the same developers as Lakeview? Sorry, not sure if this is off-topic or not, it looks very Lakeview-esque

I saw Bonnie Crombie mention in a news article about her displeasure about the MZO that this would affect the "Rangeview" development, but I hadn't heard of that, nor do I see a thread for that

Is there a thread for that? Is that connected or from the same developers as Lakeview? Sorry, not sure if this is off-topic or not, it looks very Lakeview-esque
Rangeview is a separate application and was not subject to the MZO. The impact is mostly going to just be the extra density and traffic from Lakeview having to move through the Rangeview area to get anywhere else.

Well that is interesting! I hadn't heard ofbit either but just assumed those lands would shift from industrial after Lakeview got going.

It is not a single developer. It sounds like a sort of joint venture between current landowners representing 65% ownership of the existing lands. It sounds like this would not be redeveloped as quickly as Lakeview, it's just a visioning exercise. Perhaps they are trying to get the OPA in place to increase land values prior to developers coming knocking to acquire the land.

Frequently Asked Questions​

1. WHAT IS A DEVELOPMENT MASTER PLAN?
A Development Master Plan is a non-statutory policy document that is required to be prepared to the satisfaction of City Council for each Precinct in the Lakeview Waterfront Major Node. The purpose of the Development Master Plan is to outline development principles and guidelines at a more detailed level for a specific Precinct, such as the orientation of roads, the form of new buildings, and the size and location of parks, among other elements.
2. WHO IS THE DEVELOPER?
There is no single developer for the Rangeview project. We are a group of landowners that own approximately 65% of the Rangeview lands. As owners of businesses in Rangeview, we have a deep understanding of, and in many cases a long history in, the community. We look forward to supporting a future for our lands as part of the Lakeview Waterfront.
3. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE MASTER PLAN PROCESS?
The next step after submitting the Development Master Plan for Rangeview, will be to submit an Official Plan Amendment (OPA) application to the City of Mississauga. While the Development Master
Plan provides overall guidance on how the Precinct will develop, as it is a non-statutory document, an OPA application will also be required in order to update the City’s Official Plan policies to reflect the further developed vision for Rangeview set out in the Development Master Plan. We anticipate the OPA submission to happen in 2023.

I wonder where the prospective GO station would be? Distance-wise, I think Cawthra is the best midpoint between Port Credit and Long Branch. But Ogden would be closer to this development.

The big guns have arrived. This machine is usually used for sewer installation, with its long reach.
DJI_0019.jpg

DJI_0021.jpg

Back