News   Jul 17, 2024
 580     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 648     0 

Toronto lacking facilities for elite olympic athletes

Would spending tax payer's dollars, on athletic facilities for elite athletes, not be considered part of the "gravy Train?' I'm just asking.

They wouldn't just be used for elite athletes. The point is that there aren't really any facilities period. Obviously some sports are more popular or have the prospects of being more popular than others, but I don't think anyone is suggesting (or should be suggesting) that we need to build a bobsleigh/luge track (nevermind the fact we don't really have anywhere to put it). A long-speed skating track could be put to great use though at all skill levels including the recreational level.

Also, keep in mind that Ford is a big sports guy. It's only gravy if he doesn't approve of it.

I also don't think it would cost $50 million. A very basic facility is all you need. We don't need state-of-the-art like they had in Richmond. SLC's rink cost 30 million to build 10 years ago and it is a state of the art facility. I'm sure we could keep the price below that, though these things are so specialized it's hard to find low-cost comparables.

And ya, I agree wholeheartedly that we need quantity not quality with regards to our arenas.

fixed your post a bit, the oval in Richmond was always intended to be converted to a multi-sport community facility. Within the multi-sports, ironically, long track speed skating is not included!

Back