1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 647     0 

Toronto lacking facilities for elite olympic athletes

B

billonlogan

By ROB GRANATSTEIN, CITY HALL BUREAU
www.torontosun.com

The absence of Toronto athletes from the Olympic Games -- never mind the winner's podium -- comes as no shock to sports leaders in this city.
"It's sad," said Brenda Librecz, general manager of parks and recreation. "But we're not surprised at all."
Librecz said for both summer and winter sports, Toronto doesn't have venues for training elite athletes.
"We're good at the playground level," Librecz said. "But not very good to the podium.
"Once you start moving a little bit ahead you have to leave Toronto," Librecz said.
That's shown up in Turin. North York freestyle skiier Veronika Bauer and Richmond Hill figure skater Emanuel Sandhu are the only two GTA athletes, outside of hockey, at the Olympics.
Bauer called Toronto's facilities the worst in Canada.
Ontario isn't blessed with Olympic-calibre mountains, but it also doesn't have a speed skating oval.
Toronto only has two 50-metre pools -- one leaking, the other, at the U of T, largely for the university.
City arenas are an average of 35 years old. New ones aren't in the works. There is $200 million worth of outstanding repair work.
"If you want to get into Olympic sports, you have to move from Toronto," Canadian Olympic Committee president Chris Rudge told the Sun's Steve Simmons.
Mayor David Miller wasn't willing to agree with Rudge.
"Chris Rudge should know better," Miller said yesterday. "He should know about the work we're doing to bring together all of Toronto's sports infrastructure. It would be nice to see the COC step up to the plate and be part of the solution."
New facilities are on the way. The $27-million Western Beaches Watercourse, under construction, will provide a training area for rowing, kayaking and Dragon Boating (not an Olympic sport).
There is a new soccer stadium at Exhibition Place, and fields are being prepared in the Portlands for soccer, lacrosse and field hockey, to be ready by 2008.

A Portlands indoor sports complex is in the plans -- that could have a speed skating oval -- and is supposed to be ready by March 2008.
The city is improving the track at Birchmount Stadium and updating some arenas.
Still, Karen Pitre, chair of the Toronto Sports Council, said the need for sport infrastructure is desperate.
"There's nothing here," she said. "The athletes all move to Calgary."
There isn't one multi-pad arena, elite-level gym or field or 50-metre pool east of Yonge St., Pitre said.
"You have a local park and a local arena," she said. "You just can't use it because all the better-organized sports push you out."
The provincial and federal governments need to step up and build the bigger regional-type facilities, Pitre said.
The new world-class soccer stadium is good, Pitre said, and Toronto has the Air Canada Centre, Rogers Centre and Rexall Centre. But the city is weak in premier public facilities and places for house leagues.
"If we can't accommodate kids who want to play house league, you turn them off sport before they even begin and that's a crime itself," she said.
----------------------------------------------
A Portlands indoor sports complex is in the plans -- that could have a speed skating oval -- and is supposed to be ready by March 2008.

I never heard of this plan before, where in the portlands?

"There's nothing here," she said. "The athletes all move to Calgary."

This of course would have nothing to do with the fact that there was a winter games held there not so long ago and all of the facilities were built for it as well have mountains in the general area.

That's part of the problem with the Olympic bid. The funding for construction of decent sports venues is tied to a successful bid. Had we got the Olympics, then we'd be sitting on a velodrome, pool, track stadium, and all the other venues. No Games, no money...

As for the winter stuff, let's face it, Calgary and Vancouver are going to be the logical places for winter venues because of the proximity to mountains. Why expect Toronto to have a speed skating oval when Calgary has what is widely considered to be one of the best in the world and a centre for training?

And what's up with the pool at Centennial Park in Etobicoke - don't they have a 50m and proper diving tower there? Or is that the one talked about in the article as leaking?

"Chris Rudge should know better," Miller said yesterday. "He should know about the work we're doing to bring together all of Toronto's sports infrastructure. It would be nice to see the COC step up to the plate and be part of the solution."

Why can't he just respondsibility for one thing that comes along? Everything seems to be another agency/department/level of gov'ts problem and never the city's fault.

Having a lack of local infrastructure also leads to fewer people becoming involved. If your sport/hobby requires moving to Calgary, fewer people will pursue it.

elook: the pool at Centennial Park (the Olympium) is the one referenced as leaking. It is the only Olympic-sized pool in the GTA which is accessible to the public, although some elite swim clubs have access to the U of T pool.

Facilities of this size are expensive to build and to operate on an ongoing basis. Last year, the City of Mississauga conducted a review of recreation facilities with a firm of outside consultants. At a meeting I attended the question of an Olympic-sized pool came up. The consultants and the city councillor who was in attendance made it clear that this would be beyond the budget of the city. The only way to get facilities of this calibre built seems to be on a GTA-wide basis, and the province would probably have to take the lead.

Unfortunately this is true of most big cities. I remember being in London during the Athens Olympics, and seeing a typically British sky-is-falling TV report on the lack of top-notch facilities for sport in the capital (though this is obviously going to change). But try finding a decent speedskating oval--or even a freaking soccer field--in New York. Smaller places tend to own the market on elite sports training--in Canada it is largely concentrated in Alberta for winter sports and BC for summer (due to climate and facilities), and in the US in San Diego, Colorado Springs, Lake Placid, and a few other such places (Princeton, NJ for rowing, for example).

There's a subtext here though, which I comment on based on some of my own (admittedly limited, though hopefully soon-to-be-greater) experience with national-team-level athletics. Coaches want their athletes in places where they won't be distracted too much, or have many other options for stuff to do other than train. Similarly, people in big cities tend to have big jobs...which are hardly conducive to real training. And lastly, let's not forget that many amateur athletes live on very tight budgets. The prospect of having to live in Toronto to train on the meagre allowance that many receive would not be appealing. Remember, we're talking about people here that essentially cannot have jobs.

That said, I would love to see a speedskating oval in Toronto, though I have a feeling there will be pigs flying through the air first.

Having a lack of local infrastructure also leads to fewer people becoming involved. If your sport/hobby requires moving to Calgary, fewer people will pursue it.

The flip side of this of course is concentration of talent and infrastructure. Our country is hardly swimming in cash. A concentration of specialized training facilities (ie the speedskating oval in Calgary) allows for adequate maintenance of the facility, concentration of coaching staff, etc. There is a reason a lot of american olympic atheletes are training up in Calgary.

How many people in Toronto will get interested in speedskating, if it can't really be done here?

I completely understand your point, and I would agree that requiring members of the national team live in Calgary (centralisation of coaching staff, etc.). But, in terms of developing the sport, having a few more facilities could only help.

i'd rather have my tax dollars go towards playground type facilities and local parks rather than some fancy single purpose facilities used only by elite athletes

But, in terms of developing the sport, having a few more facilities could only help.

From a development standpoint you are quite right. At least for some sports like short track a hockey arena should suffice although I doubt that getting ice time is easy. With the Richmond Oval for 2010, Canada will have two facilities. Hopefully both will be fully utilized and not have to meet the fate of the Montreal Velodrome which is now
Biodrome de Montreal , a museum housing 4 different ecosystems (this seems like quite a neat destination although I suspect that the money spent on it since inception as a velodrome would staggering.

allabootmatt: Your points are all well taken. The elite athletes live on pitifully little money in most cases, as they can't hold "real" jobs. As far as facilities are concerned, it makes sense to have the best facilities for winter sports in Calgary and the mountain areas. However, we don't seem to have much in Toronto. The best we can seem to boast about is a new soccer stadium at the Ex and a tennis centre at York. The swimmers and divers train mainly in Montreal.

There surely would be enough young potential Olympic athletes in southern Ontario that at least a few facilities could be placed here. However, they are costly and the city can't be expected to do it.

The problem with Toronto, is that it doesn't have a coordinated sport infrastructure plan.

That is about to change as newly created Toronto Sports Council (2004) recently held the first ever Sports Summit and will produce a Sports Action Plan within 90 days.

The plan has the full support of all Toronto's sport organizations, the Mayor's office, city departments, the Canadian Olympic Committee and the Province of Ontario.

More info:

Toronto Sports Council - 2006 Summit

Re: Speedskating Proposal

STUPID IDEA. Will never be taken seriously by anyone, will never get funding approval and will never be built EVER.

Re: Elite Facilities

While Toronto has fallen behind with it's facilities, other GTA municipalities have stepped up to the plate. Notebly Mississauga which has invested and continues to spend millions on new sporting venues.

The 160 acre Mississauga Sports Complex is already a huge success. It currently houses an unheard of 8 ice pads. One of them the 5,400 seat arena Hershey Centre home of the Mississauga Ice Dogs. One Olympic sized rink (rare in the GTA - Team Canada used this facility before it left for Torino).

In this year's 2006 Budget over $36 million was approved for expansion of the complex.The facility, attached to the Hershey Centre will include twin indoor sports fields (soccer), a new gymnastics centre, sports therapy facility, a full gymnasium for basketball and a new home for the Mississauga Sports Hall of Fame. Completion is expected in the spring of 2007.

Also in Mississuaga, UTM is building a massive new Recreation, Athletics and Wellness Complex (RAWC) for use by students, the community and the Toronto Argos.

The $24.5 million facility will include a double gymnasium with 750 seats, an aquatic centre (Olympic sized was looked at but cost too much money), fitness centre and indoor running track

RAWC-hdr.jpg

Other cities like Brampton with the Powerade Centre, Vaughan with it's soccer city and Richmond Hill with it's baseball green have invested in elite sporting facilities.

Toronto too hasn't been totally dormant. New facilities include the new National Tennis Centre at York University, the 10,000 seat Ricoh Coliseum.

The St. George campus of U of T campus has recently approved new Varsity Stadium and Arena at the.

Now under construction is the watercourse in the westen waterfront and the Soccer and Athletic Stadium at Exhibition Place.

Louroz

Further to the speed skating portion, there are a number of ovals in Ontario, although all are outdoor.

members.valley.net/~ice/namsa/pistes/ says Kitchener, Ottawa, and Sault Ste. Marie ahve 400m outdoor ovals. There's also the indoor oval in Calgary, and outdoor ovals in Edmonton, Rocky Mountain House, and Red Deer. Brandon and Winnipeg both have outdoor ovals (and Olympic gold medallists - GO CANADA!).

I also didn't realize that Big Thunder (ski jumping) in Thunder Bay was shuttered, and that the hills in Calgary are hopelessly obsolete. Sad legacy, really. No wonder our jumpers are doing so poorly. Hopefully 2010 will inspire some new jumpers for the future.

On the summer sport side, I could buy into the idea of having a proper velodrome in the portlands, along side a full pool and diving facility. Those could both attract international competitions to the city, just as the pool in Montreal did.

I've attending some speed skating meets recently in Clarington and Belleville (my nephew has taken up the sport) and they use existing ice pads shared with local hockey associations. The ovals are not regulation size but the kids have the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of the sport and compete with others accross the province. Most of the boys involved were former hockey players who are great skaters but did'nt like the rigours of playing hockey ie. too many goons and cheap shot players. The organizers of the speed skating club in Clarington were amazed at level of interest and applications when they first started. I would'nt be too surprised if there was some of speed skating club in Toronto (not the GTA) there would be interest.
BTW... Cindy Klassen, Olympic gold medallist, attends many of these meets across the country and is a great role model for both boys and girls alike.

Back