Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I never saw, nor did anyone ever post a photo from the site with a "Notice of Variance" posted, so I think it's safe to assume it stays at 57 storeys. Further, below is the revision from last September of L-Tower/Sony Centre which looks to be the same height and no reference of a height adjustment.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Hume article

Architectural jewel goes straight to L

By Christopher Hume
Urban Issues, Architecture
October 16, 2009

It's not pretty watching a city destroy itself, not even when we're told destruction is something to celebrate.

Welcome to Toronto, where next Wednesday will mark the official start of construction of the so-called L Tower. Normally the launch of yet another condo would warrant little more than a groan. In this case, however, the condo will be built beside and on top of the Sony Centre. Formerly known as the O'Keefe Centre, the old concert hall is one of the best remaining examples of 1960s architecture in Toronto.

This exuberant landmark, which stands on the southeast corner of Yonge and Front Sts., may be a few years short of becoming a heritage site, but once the new building appears, that will never happen. The Sony will be so compromised, designation wouldn't make sense.

That would be true even if the condo were a masterpiece, which it isn't. Designed by Daniel Libeskind, he of the Royal Ontario Museum's Crystal, it is called the L Tower because it rose, shank-like, from a horizontal feature resembling the foot of a boot. In the beginning, that foot was to have included various cultural uses. Since then it has disappeared; the L is now an I.

The only masterpiece on this corner is the Sony, which opened in 1960 and stands out as one of those remarkable pieces of postwar architecture that had the power to change Toronto and the way the city saw itself.

With its soaring canopy, limestone cladding and clean, crisp lines, it exudes optimism. Designed by the English expatriate architect Peter Dickinson as a roadhouse – a place where productions came before they went to Broadway – it has an easy sophistication that makes it a unique presence on the Toronto skyline.

But ever since the main tenants, the Canadian Opera Company and the National Ballet of Canada, moved to the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, which ironically is as dull as ditchwater, the Sony has sat largely empty. To make matters worse, it has the misfortune to be owned by the city, which doesn't have a clue. To municipal politicians and bureaucrats, it is nothing more than an expense we can't afford.

So when developers came along with the ill-conceived scheme of constructing a condo literally on top of the property, city council leapt at the opportunity.

Will blunders never cease?

"The city's approach to heritage is to trash it," laments Councillor Adam Vaughan. "Council's more worried about the balance sheet than making it work. It's an abomination."

Already, terrible damage has been inflicted on the building. Several weeks ago, a sewer backed up and the orchestra pit was flooded. The landscaping on the west side along Yonge has been destroyed and the place is a mess.

True, the Sony presents a challenge; the backstage is too small, the hall too big. Even though the interior of the hall will be renovated, this doesn't justify the desecration of one of the city's few remaining modernist icons.

But at a time when the city's reserves are depleted, when its deficit hovers around $350 million and we can't begin to maintain our fast-crumbling infrastructure, it's little wonder there's such enthusiasm for the project. And yet, a city willing to hand itself over to developers willy-nilly is not one that inspires confidence in residents or visitors.

In our panic to raise money, city assets suddenly become possible sources of revenue. One day it's the Sony Centre, the next it could be Toronto Hydro.

Who knows where it will end? But selling the city is no way to save the city.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/711131--architectural-jewel-goes-straight-to-l

Actually, speaking of Toronto Hydro and redevelopment, some of the hydro substations around town are sitting on prime land. Just like the TTC's looked at selling off air rights above stations maybe Toronto Hydro should be shopping around for partners to develop their lands whenever those substations come up for retrofit/replacements.

Bravo to Hume on this one! Thankfully somebody out there is calling to task the perpetrators of this embarrassing mess and not being blinded by prospect of yet another tower. Paints a pretty sad picture of the lack of vision and leadership in the city too.

I disagree with Hume...the Sony Centre was doomed without this tower...without their main tenants, they were completely and utterly doomed....

what is so disappointing is that with the 'foot', it would have been a world iconic structure, and now it will merely be an above-average tower....

This tower is saving the O'keefe, not 'desecrating' it...

How exactly is a condo tower saving the Sony Centre? Is it's maintenance part of the plan's declaration?

I don't know how slapping (literally) a 200m tower on the side of the Sony Centre doesn't desecrate the original intent. The Sony Centre certianly wasn't built to be a podium for Libeskind's overated brand of postmodernism. Oh well, anyone that thinks the lost boot as a "world iconic structure" is probably beyond reasoning.

Oh well, anyone that thinks the lost boot as a "world iconic structure" is probably beyond reasoning.

or perhaps not....look, I am not going to debate your sense of aesthetics...if you can't see it, then you just can't see it...I think maybe we will just have to agree to disagree....

twas the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts that killed the Sony Centre...and without the condo tower, they would have to board it up, and shut it down....

Hume is right on with this one. Even when the condo is done the centre will still be there empty. I don't see how this solves any existing problems.

Hume is right on with this one. Even when the condo is done the centre will still be there empty. I don't see how this solves any existing problems.

Yeah, it was supposed to be somewhat integrated with the artisitc/cultural component, but since that has been scrapped it doesn't make much sense.

Re: boot / lack of boot feuds

Instead of insulting each others' taste with respect to the difference in architecture between the two buildings, I think most would agree that the only real problem with the (original) L-tower was its location.

If it was a little further south, maybe part of the East Bayfront, few would be complaining. Anyone who cares about the historic implications of the Sony Centre is going to view any reduction in the L-Tower as a positive thing.

Last edited:

Back