Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

Does anyone have any furter info on the other projects in this building ?
ie LCBO Dolleramma

George Brown College will be taking space on the ground floor as well as floors 5 & 6.

I don't mind GB taking 5 & 6 floor but taking good ground floor space isn't right.
Ground floor should be for retail for all to enjoy.

New Development

The western half of the King Street side will be increased in height to match the eastern half.

New Development

The western half of the King Street side will be increased in height to match the eastern half.

I saw the notice on the building indicating that an application had been submitted to increase the height of the western part of the building. Never heard anything else about it. Is there any idea of timeline for this to happen?

I saw the notice on the building indicating that an application had been submitted to increase the height of the western part of the building. Never heard anything else about it. Is there any idea of timeline for this to happen?

This came to the Committee on Adjustment last week, I assume it was passed but the COA Never publishes its decisions (yes, weird!). Assuming it was passed, the next stage is a permit application.

PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To construct a three-storey office addition over the existing three-storey mixed-use structure located at the
western portion of the site.
REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
Section 8(3) Part II 4(C)(I), By-law 438-86
Chapter 50.10.40.200(5)(D), By-law 1156-2010
The building shall not project beyond the 44 degree angular plane above a base height of 16 m..
The altered building will encroach 6.72 m into the 44 degree angular plane above the base height of 16 m.

This came to the Committee on Adjustment last week, I assume it was passed but the COA Never publishes its decisions (yes, weird!). Assuming it was passed, the next stage is a permit application.

Anyone can ask for a Notice of Decision.

Why do you feel like the CofA has to? If you have an interest in an application then you can go the hearing and fill out a request for Notice of Decision form. This is no different than any other municipality in Ontario.

Why do you feel like the CofA has to? If you have an interest in an application then you can go the hearing and fill out a request for Notice of Decision form. This is no different than any other municipality in Ontario.

Not to prolong this but it is called 'access to information'. Clearly the CofA has minutes as they are always approved at the next meeting and the decisions they make are public so why on earth not post a pdf of them as all other City committees do. One should not need to attend a hearing to find out the result of an application and it is, one would have thought, easier to simply post an existing document (the minutes) than respond to individual requests for decisions. Frankly it all sounds rather 'anal' to me and I know it took Council several years to get them to even post the Agendas a few years ago.

Goodbye Mural...

As of this afternoon, about 1/3 of the south-facing Front St wall on the Sun Building has been demolished. Earlier this week they covered the entire wall containing the mural in blue tarps, and today they began knocking it down, chipping out the bricks in chunks and tossing them down. The entire wall from ground to roof is being removed. So it seems there will be no preservation of the mural, for anyone curious about that. I hope, at least, that somebody took high quality photos of the mural in its entirety before it was destroyed.

I'm not sure what's going to replace the old wall: I'm guessing either an entirely new glass front, or perhaps they plan to create some additional setback, since the sidewalk is very narrow at that point for two high-traffic businesses (LCBO and Dollarama).

Oh, well, all in the name of progress I guess. As a likely frequent customer of the new LCBO I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too... but it really seemed there was enough room to punch in doors beneath the mural, which didn't start for a good 10 or 15 feet off the ground.

The Toronto Sun mural was painted by John Hood, titled History as Theatre: 200 Toronto Years (deliciously ironic/pathetic that it's been thoughtlessly destroyed). Winner of the Toronto Historical Board Award of Merit. It was commissioned as part of Toronto's bicentennial celebrations in 1993.

http://torontosunfamily.blogspot.com/2010/11/mural-memories.html
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2008/09/14/6764296.html

Detailed set of photos by the Sun: http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2008/09/14/6764156.html

LARGE (13038 x 1723) panorama by SteFou on Flickr.

Here's the plaque in detail (photo by Frank Mertens on Flickr):

2791758458_595a999b41_b.jpg

Last edited:

Back