Toronto Inez Court | 104.25m | 32s | Conservatory Group | Richmond Architects

I have to admit that I'm not comfortable of them replacing that treed cul-de-sac with this.
Why not? There are many treed cul-de-sacs throughout Toronto and the GTA, and no need to preserve one that is right beside Yonge Street and in walking distance of a subway station. I had the opposite reaction - about time for a cul-de-sac like this to be replaced!

Why not? There are many treed cul-de-sacs throughout Toronto and the GTA, and no need to preserve one that is right beside Yonge Street and in walking distance of a subway station. I had the opposite reaction - about time for a cul-de-sac like this to be replaced!

I have no problem with it going, but to me, it would logically be tied with adding Cummer Station to Line 1.

At ~800M from Finch station, along a not particularly walkable section of Yonge its pushing the edge a bit, if one is aiming for T.O.D. (transit oriented development)

Cummer Stn would be 300M

By all means lets redevelop this 'hood; but lets make sure we service it correctly, and also plan it out fully.

The fact there would still be 4 sfh left on the street is a real oddity.

Cummer Station would be 300m if it were still in the Yonge North plans...
Unfortunately it's likely to get cut, which I really don't think is a great idea. Clark is more important to service Thornhill Centre.. but Cummer is a fairly busy bus route as well coming in from Scarborough and will have a lot more density in walking distance in the near future.

These units won't be crazy far from the north entrance of Finch Station, about a 5 minute walk, but still. Even once you reach the north Finch entrance it's still another 3-4 minute walk through the tunnel to the actual platform.

These units won't be crazy far from the north entrance of Finch Station, about a 5 minute walk, but still. Even once you reach the north Finch entrance it's still another 3-4 minute walk through the tunnel to the actual platform.

Yeah, that's why I measured the 800M to the south entrance.

Which at a walking speed of 3.5kph gets you a 14 minute walk.

That's certainly do-able for most; at least in ideal weather.

But one wants to consider whether that's really a habit-forming distance for the majority when balancing seniors, small kids, the disabled, and circumstances likes extremely cold or hot weather or precipitation, especially along a rather
unpleasant to walk, 7 lane road.

Yep, it's a really silly cut @innsertnamehere. Between this, 5800 Yonge, 5840 Yonge, M2M, whatever happens with 5959 Yonge, and some of the other new ones north of Cummer but south of Centrepoint, I'm kind of at a loss. And, as you mention, that doesn't even take into account the feeder busses...

Funny enough, the City knows it's a bad cut and are trying to reinstate it but have been stonewalled by the Provincial powers that be.

I get the density argument. But trees are important too...no matter how close to a subway station they are.

Since I am not advocating to preserve any the buildings here...as I am suspect folks living here are walking off with a good wallop of retirement money after conceding their homes to the developer (assuming how that works). But it would put me at ease if the developer preserve as much trees as possible and where possible.

....that's probably not the answer you where looking for. But it's the best I can do in defending my emotional response to this. Sorry. :(

I get the density argument. But trees are important too...no matter how close to a subway station they are.

Since I am not advocating to preserve any the buildings here...as I am suspect folks living here are walking off with a good wallop of retirement money after conceding their homes to the developer (assuming how that works). But it would put me at ease if the developer preserve as much trees as possible and where possible.

....that's probably not the answer you where looking for. But it's the best I can do in defending my emotional response to this. Sorry. :(

Yolanda Flanders' Conservatory Group already owns all the subject properties - have so since original Ruby application in 2008 - thus most of the land assembly was formed prior to that.

Basically all houses have been boarded up for years and years,... a couple seems still lived in - maybe for security. Overgrowth of bushes and trees,... but grass are always cut as per City requirements. Area gets lots of squatter issues - they kick in boarded basement windows to break in,... then the coyotes (from adjacent Finch Hydro Corridor) move in and make a den!

No need to apologize - that makes sense to me. I agree that it is desirable to preserve mature trees. Everything is a balancing act, though, and on the balance I think we do more for the environment by creating dense housing than preserving trees here. I have not looked at the site plan; it is possible that some trees are being preserved, and to the extent they can be, I would agree that they should be.

Yolanda Flanders' Conservatory Group already owns all the subject properties - have so since original Ruby application in 2008 - thus most of the land assembly was formed prior to that.

Basically all houses have been boarded up for years and years,... a couple seems still lived in - maybe for security. Overgrowth of bushes and trees,... but grass are always cut as per City requirements. Area gets lots of squatter issues - they kick in boarded basement windows to break in,... then the coyotes (from adjacent Finch Hydro Corridor) move in and make a den!
Thanks for filling me in. As I wasn't clear on the details or process of how this cul-de-sac was acquired and maintained in the first place. So this good to know!

No need to apologize - that makes sense to me. I agree that it is desirable to preserve mature trees. Everything is a balancing act, though, and on the balance I think we do more for the environment by creating dense housing than preserving trees here. I have not looked at the site plan; it is possible that some trees are being preserved, and to the extent they can be, I would agree that they should be.
That does put me a little more at ease over the matter. It's not perfect, but it's not like they're building it on a protected wetland via a MZO or something. So thank you for explaining all that. /bows

Kind of a shame they did not also acquire the last four properties on Inez Crt. Then the entire cul-de-sac could be eliminated and perhaps add a second entrance to the park.

2009 called - they want their tower design back. Why not just put a bit more effort into the aesthetic like Azura did down the street and try to capture a few more revenue dollars?

Kind of a shame they did not also acquire the last four properties on Inez Crt. Then the entire cul-de-sac could be eliminated and perhaps add a second entrance to the park.

There will be a second entrance to the park — via Inez Court. The street doesn't have to disappear to get access to the park from the West.

There will be a second entrance to the park — via Inez Court. The street doesn't have to disappear to get access to the park from the West.

Seems like a waste to provide that infrastructure for four homes.

Seems like a waste to provide that infrastructure for four homes.
The infrastructure is already there, other than building a new bulb for the relocated cul-de-sac. Maintenance of the existing stuff will be a blip.

Meanwhile, haven't studied this closely, but this park is already much larger than what the City would be asking for from just the redevelopment of this site. Does this represent park dedication from other Conservatory Group sites in the area as well, like Pearl Place for example? Anyone know?

Back