Toronto id8 Downsview | ?m | ?s | Northcrest Developments | KPMB

Hi: Went to Downsview update and didn’t get anything major but did get a few tidbits. The company is really waiting for Bombardier to vacate their building before the action starts but having a lot of discussions with robotic firms, advanced industrial and secondary schools. Bike lanes on the major streets bordering Downsview will be ready by end of 2024. The market has really changed over the last two years so not a lot is firm with movie studio. The possibility of a Wilson GO station is now being looked at with ML. And finally as a personal observation the real story for now is how much is changing on the streets around Downsview!
IMG_4520.jpeg
IMG_4521.jpeg
IMG_4522.jpeg

There was an update tonight on the Downsview redevelopment. Some items were there seems to have been an increase in density to 80 000 units and the councillor has requested that a stand alone library be built in the near term as well as the community centre in the northwest corner. No news on film studio or first district to be built but they seem to be seperate.
when was there an increase in density to 80 000 units? I never saw this.

Not sure the best thread to put this in - am I correct that the City owns the land of Allen East? Who owns the plots directly adjacent to Downsview Park TTC?

^Ohhhh! Hadn’t noticed. Although I can’t put my finger on a source right now I am 99% sure that it is 83,000 and I wouldn’t be surprised if the built reality is higher. Will look.

^Ohhhh! Hadn’t noticed. Although I can’t put my finger on a source right now I am 99% sure that it is 83,000 and I wouldn’t be surprised if the built reality is higher. Will look.
I am pretty sure the immediate lands (the runway/hangars, the densest) area owned by CLC and Northcrest are slated to accommodate 83,000 people yet the lands surrounding the airport - will accommodate the remaining 27,000 which adds up to 110,000 in the wider downsview study area.

... The possibility of a Wilson GO station is now being looked at with ML...
Did anyone explain why? Did they forget the Downsview Park GO/TTC subway station is already just to the north? I don't understand what the point would be to have another one at Wilson, or replacing the existing one with another one that wouldn't be connected to the TTC subway line.

Did anyone explain why? Did they forget the Downsview Park GO/TTC subway station is already just to the north? I don't understand what the point would be to have another one at Wilson, or replacing the existing one with another one that wouldn't be connected to the TTC subway line.
Here is my theory: The western leg of the Downsview development will be modestly compact and dense; it's the hangar district just south of the park commons area. Since it isn't well served by a subway stop you'd either have to walk all the way from Wilson or you'd have to walk from Sheppard West station to access the site. They were thinking of a shuttle from the planned district to Wilson, but it would make sense to have a GO station closer to the site to justify the site plans being extremely walkable and accommodating a lot of people.

In my opinion, having just found out about the venture - this is great and will eventually be sorely needed.

Last edited:
Here is my theory: The western leg of the Downsview development will be modestly compact and dense; it's the hangar district just south of the park commons area. Since it isn't well served by a subway stop you'd either have to walk all the way from Wilson or you'd have to walk from Sheppard West station to access the site. They were thinking of a shuttle from the planned district to Wilson, but it would make sense to have a GO station closer to the site to justify the site plans being extremely walkable and accommodating a lot of people.

I would note that the distance between the southern tip of the existing GO platform and just north of Wilson is ~2.6km:

1699301804576.png

Even the E-W distance from that same point to Wilson Subway Station is almost 2km:

1699301887199.png

In general, as GO electrifies, the general guideline will be ~2km-4km between urban stations. (much greater in suburban/rural areas)

Its not unreasonable to consider a station here in that context.

For comparison, the distance between Weston GO and the new Mt. Dennis Station is ~2.2km

... from the March, 2023 XOXO Downsview Committee meeting (https://44e0cc70-0fba-43fa-98a1-d99...d/4ea6e4_036f4d01879e44d6a24f8cb135a6f33e.pdf)
... The Runway, which Northcrest will gain full access to in 2024, is being conceived in two parts.
- The northern section will be designated for concerts, large events, and major festivals...
... The company is really waiting for Bombardier to vacate their building before the action starts ...
You'd think if there were big "concerts, large events, and major festivals" (like another Sars-stock type of thing?) being planned, we would hear about it soon.

Last edited:
The runway now won't be shut down until some time in 2024?
Bombardier had been saying they woud be gone before the end of 2023.
https://www.id8downsview.ca/faq
9. ... Bombardier has announced its departure from Downsview by the end of 2023, which means that operations at the facilities and the runway will close.

Last edited:
Suggestion three: (though not on the property due for redevelopment, it's the best bang-for the buck- enhancement for nature and people)

Connect the Downsview Dells Park trail which currently stops just 50m west of Keele to Downsview Park.

Ideally, with a wildlife crossing either culvert/bridge; or wildlife bridge.

The park pond already drains under Keele in a pipe that leads to that trail.

View attachment 246585
LATE reply. I was just searching the forums for info on that branch of the trail that dead ends behind the new condo on Keele (The Keeley, oof) right where you've circled. It's bizarre as you take this nicely paved trail east towards Keele thinking that at least it will connect to the road, but nope, you are stopped by construction fencing with no signage or warnings. Do you know if this state of affairs was caused by the condo not giving access, or did the TRCA just think it was a great idea to have a dead-end trail, or hope they could push it through in the future. I have an email into TRCA and Pasternak about this, but not sure I'll get anywhere over the holidays!

Back