News   Jul 23, 2024
 80     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 687     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Toronto Icestorm of 2013

While the ice storm was not a state-of-emergency for the city of Toronto, Rob Ford conveyed that message poorly.

For the neighbourhood or household without power, it is a state-of-emergency. That's what the mayor should have said. Its not a state-of-emergency for the city, but for the neighbourhood the city is sending all of its resources, including tree cutters and hydro. Call 311 is you are in need of non-medical help.

For an up-to-date map of power outages and/or by postal code, go to the Toronto hydro outage map at this link.

It is now time to push and push for the wholesale burial of our electrical infrastructure. Montreal and most of Quebec did the same after the 1998 ice storm and we should follow their lead.

There is absolutely no reason aside from typical Toronto penny-pinching and myopia why the bulk of our critical electrical infrastructure is dangling above rotting wooden poles. Not only is it disgusting to look at, but it is clearly a public safety issue.

I haven't had power since Sunday at 3AM. Our house is freezing cold, no fireplace, no gas stoves.. We have no way of doing anything. Thank God for friends and neighbours nearby who still have power, otherwise I'd be worried.

It is now time to push and push for the wholesale burial of our electrical infrastructure. Montreal and most of Quebec did the same after the 1998 ice storm and we should follow their lead.

There is absolutely no reason aside from typical Toronto penny-pinching and myopia why the bulk of our critical electrical infrastructure is dangling above rotting wooden poles. Not only is it disgusting to look at, but it is clearly a public safety issue.

I haven't had power since Sunday at 3AM. Our house is freezing cold, no fireplace, no gas stoves.. We have no way of doing anything. Thank God for friends and neighbours nearby who still have power, otherwise I'd be worried.

They tried that on St. Clair Avenue West, when they were buried the electrical wire mains during the reconstruction. That raising an uproar about the construction taking longer because of that, which is why Roncesvalles did not have its electrical buried.

Do it or don't do it, there's always someone who's upset.

All things considered, it could have been worse. From 1998 and the ice storm in Québec.
ice-storm3.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately community complaints are no longer valid when it becomes a public safety issue.

This wouldn't even be an issue had our utilities been underground like in the rest of the developed and civilized world. I'm surprised our pipes aren't above ground either. That's a cost saving.. right??

Actually, they do. They're on a different low-voltage telephone line
You're right, I meant they dont requite regular wall socket electricity.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people could be stuck in the cold and dark until the weekend, Hydro says:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/12/23/ice_storm_hundreds_of_thousands_still_without_power.html

New estimate says some power outages could last until after Christmas

“We’re winning the war,†Toronto Hydro CEO Anthony Haines declared Monday morning, even though 225,000 homes and businesses were still without heat and light across the city.

And some of them could stay in the dark until past Christmas and into the weekend, Haines warned.

Crews working through the night restored power to 75,000 homes and businesses in Toronto, he said. But frustrated and chilled hydro workers saw some of their repairs undone as fixed lines “came unfixed†by falling trees and heavy ice, he said.

That eased up by morning. “We’re seeing some very positive outcomes in our restoration efforts,†said Haines.

“Every few minutes, another feeder if coming back up,†representing thousands of customers, he said.

He said it was impossible to predict when everyone might have their power restored, despite the extra crews coming in — including one worker who retired Friday and was back at work Saturday and others who cancelled Christmas holidays to pitch in.

“Prudently, right now, we should expect the worst.†While Hydro knew about 100 feeder lines still down by 8 a.m. Monday, “we haven’t had a chance to go down each and every street†to determine every place without electricity.

Temperatures were expected to keep falling to a low of minus 10 overnight and reach only a high of minus 9 on Tuesday and minus 5 on Wednesday. Overnight lows on Tuesday were forecast to be minus 15.

The city has opened nine warming centres scattered across the city for those shivering in the dark. Toronto Hydro was now speaking to the Toronto District School Board about opening up more centres in school gymnasiums, Haines said.

“The Red Cross is assisting the city of Toronto in the warming centres and overnight we had 10 warming shelters across Toronto and 323 people who came to those shelters overnight,†said Karen Snider, media manger for the Red Cross.

“The Red Cross moved in supplies last night. We moved in cots, blankets, hygiene kits, just a simple kit with things like soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, things that people might forget when they are leaving so they can freshen up a little bit.â€

She also said they are providing warm meals and water. They had assisted another 256 people in shelters across the GTA in several shelters.

Haines himself was “in the dark, in the cold†without power in his home, he said.

The utility company described the ice story as‘far worse than imagined.†Forestry crews have been brought in to help cut up and move massive tree limbs littering streets and roadways.

Toronto Hydro was also asking utility crews from the U.S. to help with the massive cleanup and restoration effort.

“We believe the worst weather is over,†Mayor Rob Ford said. “It’s business as usual here at city hall. We are not declaring a state of emergency. If the province wants to help out, we are happy to take it.â€

He rebuffed suggestions he should have declared a state of emergency, saying the 2013 ice storm was far less severe than a hurricane or the Quebec ice storm.

Declaring a state of emergency would transfer power to Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly and would require the province to provide help. Kelly said on CP24 “there is a considerable feeling†a state of emergency should be declared.

Councillor Denzil-Minnan Wong said that the city is talking to the province, which has already provided help with “policing issues,†especially on Highway 401. The province has also been asked to help clear fallen trees and branches.

Toronto East General Hospital was back to full power Monday morning and Sunnybroook Hospital should be by the afternoon, Ford said. About 63 Toronto community housing buildings were still without power.

Asked whether Toronto could have better prepared for a storm of this magnitude, Ford replied, “It's hard to prepare for Mother Nature.â€

Toronto Hydro has been taking specific measures to combat climate change, such as more aggressive tree pruning and sturdier lines, Haines said. The storm “would have been worse†if not for those measures.

Toronto Fire Services has received about seven times the normal volume of emergency calls, and has had to put out a number of fires started by people heating their homes by “unconventional means.â€

HydroOne said it had around 100,000 homes and businesses without power throughout the province, particularly around Vaughan; Enersource is reporting around 539 customers are without power in Mississauga.

GO Transit Sunday night announced an adjusted winter storm schedule on Monday, providing additional train and bus service for customers on routes that include Lakeshore East and West, Milton and Richmond Hill.

Full streetcar service resumed late Sunday with some delays and some bus routes were cancelled because of road conditions, including the Davisville, Rosedale and Yonge Street buses.

More than a dozen other bus routes were on diversions because of icy roads and blocked streets.

Service gaps remain on the subway system however. There was no service between Woodbine and Kennedy stations on the Bloor-Danforth line and North York on the University line and on the entire Sheppard line.

The Scarborough RT line was to be back in operation by late morning, said TTC chief Andy Byford. . Shuttle buses were trying to ferry passengers in the interim.

Several flights in and out of Pearson International Airport scheduled for Monday have been delayed or cancelled, with officials asking passengers to check their flight statuses with their airline and give themselves additional time to make said flights.

All TDSB, TCDSB and Peel District School Board facilities, including child-care centres, would be closed on Monday and Tuesday. Durham Catholic school board child-care centres were also closed, as were a number of YMCAs in the region.

York University rescheduled exams initially due to be held on Monday for Jan. 11.

Toronto Zoo also remained closed.

A special weather statement remains in effect for the City of Toronto, with moderate winds and colder temperatures expected over the next few days

Actually, the best phone is one of those old touchbutton phones from Ma BELL. They dont require electricity to function

mXykTGJIeObhJTr4fYUeIiA.jpg
That was fine until Rogers home phone service went out; but my cell still worked :)

Wow, I just came back from midtown.....good luck. It's a disaster zone. There's no mobile signal even in some spots.

All main streets are fine .. its the side streets that are in worst shape - took a walk yesterday, its really hit or miss, some side streets are OK (no fallen trees or the like ... of course ice everywhere), but then others have a fallen branch every couple meters ... some even worse (large branches fallen on cars / front of houses).

I have a feeling midtown is one of the hardest ... maybe east a bit.

That was fine until Rogers home phone service went out; but my cell still worked :)
Better switch to BELL then, my landline still worked ;)

Wow, I just came back from midtown.....good luck. It's a disaster zone. There's no mobile signal even in some spots
What area do you mean by midtown?? Can you define it a bit more on a map??

FYI was all over midtown / walking about ... no problem at all with cell phone reception. Though the different operators have their own cell towers (I'm with Rogers ..).

But yes it depends on what you mean by midtown .. I'm referring to Yonge and Eglinton.

Yep its worth further east - yesterday I was actually walking across a lot of side streets around Mt Pleasant - again very hit or miss. Some side streets had been completely closed.

It was a rather quaint walk down Mt. Pleasant though, not a very busy street usually but especially empty empty on Sunday - random but there is a lot of interesting retail on the stretch just south of Eglinton !

Upper Beach and East York got walloped. Most people I know in the east end were without power last night -- only those on the same grid as East General are back up. We got lucky, somehow.

Honestly, I felt bad for the locals and gtfo of there asap. Back to my completely unaffected neighbourhood.

Some of those people are easily not getting power back for a few days.

Back