Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

i dont know if that has been raised before....

What about a hybrid subway/streetcar along Hurontario?

The entire length of Hurontario definately does not support a subway along the entire proposed distance, however, there are areas, such as MCC and maybe some other parts north of MCC, that would support a subway/undergound train.

Is this technically feasible? Are there examples of a overground LRT / undergound subway in other cities?

i dont know if that has been raised before....

What about a hybrid subway/streetcar along Hurontario?

The entire length of Hurontario definately does not support a subway along the entire proposed distance, however, there are areas, such as MCC and maybe some other parts north of MCC, that would support a subway/undergound train.

Is this technically feasible? Are there examples of a overground LRT / undergound subway in other cities?

There are examples here in Toronto with the 509 / 510. However, these are mostly used in areas where the streets are two narrow for a transit right-of-way. There is no need to tunnel under (or rise above) MCC unless the line is diverting to serve the current Square One Terminal. Hurontario's street right-of-way is wide enough to accommodate transit only lanes. Only the section through downtown Brampton and south of the QEW in Mississauga are too narrow to support transit lanes. These areas will need another solution.

I love that the last interactive board that says how would you like to get around includes both 'streetcar' and 'light rail transit' as options. It shows that staff are serious about light rail and we wont get stuck with just a streetcar line.

Question

I am new here to Toronto, recently moved here from Vancouver, and I have a question. Both Mississauga and Brampton are in the Peel region but from what I learned since moving here they both have their own independent bus service. Are their any plans to amalgamate the services? I am living in Toronto now and would like to see better rapid transit service between T.O. and these two large suburbs. I was riding a bus along Steeles a few months ago and their is a sign when entering Brampton saying that you are entering Peel Region with a population of 1.1M. I had no idea that it had that high of a population, hopefully we see rapid transit soon in this large metropolitan are. The SquareOne area in Mississauga is very built up. If Metrolinx expands this Presto Card it would be nice for Zone 1 to be here in T.O and Zone 2 could be an almagamated Peel transit sytem, York system and Durham region. Vancouver uses the zone system with the Skytrain crossing the boundaries pf the different zones.

Are their any plans to amalgamate the services?

No

The political cooperation you see in the lower mainland is unfortunately, a philosophy unique to the lower mainland.

If Metrolinx expands this Presto Card it would be nice for Zone 1 to be here in T.O and Zone 2 could be an almagamated Peel transit sytem, York system and Durham region. Vancouver uses the zone system with the Skytrain crossing the boundaries pf the different zones.

Metrolinx has committed to establishing a regional fare system by 2012, but it's way too early to say what that would look like. It could be fare by distance with small zones, fare by distance with large zones (like Vancouver), or it could be a regional flat fare. I believe it's needed though. It will open up the transit door to people who currently drive to Finch or Kipling to avoid double fares, it will encourage people who don't work within walking distance of Union to take the GO train, and will allow 416-to-416 riders to use GO instead of crowded subways.

No

The political cooperation you see in the lower mainland is unfortunately, a philosophy unique to the lower mainland.

This is one area where I am glad Brampton is independant/different than Mississauga......Mississauga does a lot of things right but I always sense they are only half committed to public transit....aren't they cutting service? Brampton, given its relatively less dense and smaller population, seems more committed to expansion of service.

If the two were to merge and be under the control of Peel region which is under the control of a Mississauga majority, I fear that some Brampton routes in any "Peel Transit" would be seen as the low hanging fruit for the transit cutters.

Just my opinion.

This is one area where I am glad Brampton is independant/different than Mississauga......Mississauga does a lot of things right but I always sense they are only half committed to public transit....aren't they cutting service? Brampton, given its relatively less dense and smaller population, seems more committed to expansion of service.

If the two were to merge and be under the control of Peel region which is under the control of a Mississauga majority, I fear that some Brampton routes in any "Peel Transit" would be seen as the low hanging fruit for the transit cutters.

Just my opinion.

I don't think that would be a problem. The TTC works fine with an even bigger population discrepency in its service area.

I could be wrong, but I think Mississauga has increased transit service more than Brampton has in the past year...

Sorry for joining the thread late...

Quick question. What's the length of the line and where are the terminus stations? Is it supposed to be GO to GO (Brampton to Port Credit)? Has any thought been given to extending to Bovaird?

Last edited:
I think it would end at Lakeshore, not Port Credit GO. As for the Brampton end, I don't know. As long as it reaches downtown Brampton I think that's sufficient. But it could go further sure.

I think it would end at Lakeshore, not Port Credit GO. As for the Brampton end, I don't know. As long as it reaches downtown Brampton I think that's sufficient. But it could go further sure.

Hopefully, at least until Bovaird so that bus lines from all those new developments could connect to the RT.....hopefully LRT.

Main/Hurontario in Brampton really isn't that busy. I think maybe even Kennedy is busier. So I don't see point of building it further than Downtown Brampton, especially considering would be a very long LRT line even then.

I think the focus in Brampton should be Queen St, which easily has high enough ridership for LRT.

Back