Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

ok...sell me....how does this LRT make Brampton a one of a kind city in Ontario?

The LRT per se does not put BRAMPTON on the maps. We all know that The LRT is a Mississauga plan, and it outweighs it's benefits compared to Bramptons. Although I support good transit going into the DT to connect people, I do not support any plans that would make any gem (the DT in the case of. Brampton )of any city NOT become a pedestrian friendly area. Maybe they can put vintage looking streetcars or buses that could share the street with cars , or maybe they need to widen the sidewalks or maybe they need to just cancel the cars and make it into an LRT only zone, anything but not put all 3 together and congest it.

The LRT would be more beneficial elsewhere connecting Bramptons highly commercial areas for development, we really don't care where, going to the Porposed university / Sheridan or elsewhere.

The BRAMPTON DT as it is today has so much potential, and Bramton is actually doing quite a good job with it, but putting an
LRT dedicated lanes+car lanes with its existing really narrow sidewalks will destroy the pedestrian friendliness of the area and I would think impact on the heritage of the community.

I would like to Imagine the DT like those of pedestrian friendly zones like the ones in Gernoble or Europe where people can enjoy a day out, walking ,cycling, enjoying the sites of vintage buildings and architecture around. BRAMPTON has this potential for people around Ontario to come and visit , Specially with activities from the farmers market / rose theatre/ art gallery and etc. BRAMPTON will draw crowds this way, but never by congesting it. Congestion will make BRAMPTON DT to be just like any other route along the LRT and this is what we oppose about it. The sad thing is why people from BRAMPTON don't understand this, just to get the LRT plan done. Sacrifice your city's greatest asset and potential just to get the LRT, worst of all? What has BRAMPTON got left??? Oh , Pls dont say Shoppers World!

I was surprised they even considered running this thing on-street through Downtown Brampton. I don't think modern light rail was meant for streets like Main Street in Downtown Brampton. Otherwise, why not have the whole Eglinton-Crosstown line on-street as well? After all, Eglinton has an extra lane and it has wider sidewalks than Main St does...

I was surprised they even considered running this thing on-street through Downtown Brampton. I don't think modern light rail was meant for streets like Main Street in Downtown Brampton. Otherwise, why not have the whole Eglinton-Crosstown line on-street as well? After all, Eglinton has an extra lane and it has wider sidewalks than Main St does...

It's the final 1.6 kilometres of a 21 kilometre light rail line. It's not unusual to do so with LRT when space is constrained to get it to a major terminal or node. For example, a similar in-street section of a light rail line exists in Metro Birmingham, in order to get Midlands Metro LRT into Wolverhampton.

The same set-up was planned for Port Credit as well.

The LRT per se does not put BRAMPTON on the maps. We all know that The LRT is a Mississauga plan, and it outweighs it's benefits compared to Bramptons. Although I support good transit going into the DT to connect people, I do not support any plans that would make any gem (the DT in the case of. Brampton )of any city NOT become a pedestrian friendly area. Maybe they can put vintage looking streetcars or buses that could share the street with cars , or maybe they need to widen the sidewalks or maybe they need to just cancel the cars and make it into an LRT only zone, anything but not put all 3 together and congest it.

The LRT would be more beneficial elsewhere connecting Bramptons highly commercial areas for development, we really don't care where, going to the Porposed university / Sheridan or elsewhere.

The BRAMPTON DT as it is today has so much potential, and Bramton is actually doing quite a good job with it, but putting an
LRT dedicated lanes+car lanes with its existing really narrow sidewalks will destroy the pedestrian friendliness of the area and I would think impact on the heritage of the community.

I would like to Imagine the DT like those of pedestrian friendly zones like the ones in Gernoble or Europe where people can enjoy a day out, walking ,cycling, enjoying the sites of vintage buildings and architecture around. BRAMPTON has this potential for people around Ontario to come and visit , Specially with activities from the farmers market / rose theatre/ art gallery and etc. BRAMPTON will draw crowds this way, but never by congesting it. Congestion will make BRAMPTON DT to be just like any other route along the LRT and this is what we oppose about it. The sad thing is why people from BRAMPTON don't understand this, just to get the LRT plan done. Sacrifice your city's greatest asset and potential just to get the LRT, worst of all? What has BRAMPTON got left??? Oh , Pls dont say Shoppers World!

I like the idea of creating a car free zone, however the businesses will probably complain about loosing their street parking.

I like the idea of creating a car free zone, however the businesses will probably complain about loosing their street parking.

How many people per automobile? 1.3? Maximum maybe 4 or 5, maybe 7 if possible.

How many people per light rail vehicle? 70 seats per car, 3 car train would have seats for 210. Not counting standees.

Hmmm.

How many people per light rail vehicle? 70 seats per car, 3 car train would have seats for 210. Not counting standees.

Small business owners aren't always the most observant or knowledgeable people, even when it comes to their own business. Many got lucky with a business plan years ago but don't have the understanding necessary to actually respond to a changing business environment (doomed to long-term failure). When I did consulting one of their favourite rebuttals was "but that's how we've always done things"; never did they say "we regularly test several methods and this one continues to show the highest sales".

Last edited:

Hmmm.

Ok....and only 1 car will pass during the time that each LRT vehicle will? so the businesses, in your mind, are shunning 210 potential customers for that 1.3 customers in that one car?

Small business owners aren't always the most observant or knowledgeable people. Many got lucky with a business plan years ago but don't have the understanding necessary to actually respond to a changing business environment (doomed to long-term failure). When I did consulting one of their favourite rebuttals was "but that's how we've always done things"; never did they say "we regularly test several methods and this one continues to show the highest sales".

businesses that think they rely on on street parking (like on main street in Brampton or, say, King and Queen W in Toronto) will tell you that their reliance is on someone stopping, practically, right in front of their business...hopping out of their car and jumping into their business.

so while the lrt passes their business, they lose that possibility and people can only get on and off at stops...they may lose that customer if he/she can't just jump in (not supporting just clarifying the position....and it comes up every time someone suggests removing/limiting parking on King or Queen...so it is not a Brampton/Suburban attitude).

Ey guys , what do you think is gonna happen to hurontario LRT funding if NDP calls for an election??? :)

Last edited:
Ey guys , what do you think is gonna happen to hurontario LRT funding if NDP calls for an election??? :)

Anything not tendered is open for easy cancellation.

Anything tendered but not complete is also open for cancellation; though that's not quite as easy.

if Hudak wins, its dead. (at least until the next election) If Wynne wins, everything is back on the table. If Horwath somehow pulls off a surprise win, who knows.

It's sad that Hudak will cancel this. This would be the first major rail infrastructure project in nearly 50 years.

Ok, where would this be the "the first major rail infrastructure project in nearly 50 years?"

- Toronto is building a new LRT line and extending a subway to York Region
- GO has been expanding the Lakeshore West and Georgetown corridors' capacity (even if the Georgetown north expansion hasn't resulted in many new trains yet; contingent, I'm sure on GTS/ARL completion and GO's own determination.)
- The Airport Rail Link/GTS is a huge rail project

I think it would be a shame to see this cancelled (or "deferred" in Harris/Hudak talk), but I'm not sure what you mean when you say the above.

Ok, where would this be the "the first major rail infrastructure project in nearly 50 years?"

- Toronto is building a new LRT line and extending a subway to York Region
- GO has been expanding the Lakeshore West and Georgetown corridors' capacity (even if the Georgetown north expansion hasn't resulted in many new trains yet; contingent, I'm sure on GTS/ARL completion and GO's own determination.)
- The Airport Rail Link/GTS is a huge rail project

I think it would be a shame to see this cancelled (or "deferred" in Harris/Hudak talk), but I'm not sure what you mean when you say the above.
Wrong thread, I meant to post this in the HSR thread.

Back