Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The star reported that Mississauga's Mayor has sent a letter to premier advising that if Mayor Ford of Toronto does not want LRT money that Mississauga and Brampton are ready to go on Hurontario/Main and would take any money he turned down (essentially).

And here's the article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/transpo...money?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4cfeb7b357876808,0

Mississauga ready to take Toronto’s light rail money

December 07, 2010

Tess Kalinowski

Premier Dalton McGuinty needn’t worry — if Toronto Mayor Rob Ford doesn’t want it, Mississauga will be only too happy to take the province’s money to build light rail transit (LRT).

That’s the cheeky suggestion proffered by Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion in a letter to Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne.

“If any Toronto transit contracts are cancelled I want to inform you up front that we could use the money that has been allocated for those projects, for transit projects in Mississauga,” McCallion says in the Dec. 3 letter obtained by the Star.

The letter surfaced just as McGuinty and Ford had their first face-to-face discussion Tuesday on the fate of Toronto’s Transit City light rail plan.

Ford wants to build subways instead of LRT with the $8.15 billion the province has committed to Toronto over the coming decade.

McGuinty has repeatedly said he’s willing to work with the new mayor but there’s no more money coming to Toronto for transit and he’s not picking up the bill for hundreds of millions of dollars in contract cancellations and work already finished on Transit City.

McCallion wants to build LRT on Mississauga’s busiest bus corridor, Hurontario St., and that project is already included in the 25-year provincial transportation plan, although it has not been funded.

“Metrolinx has recently approved the business case analysis for LRT with results that are very favourable compared to other projects currently allocated for funding in Toronto,” McCallion said in her letter, which is copied to Mississauga MPPs, councillors, Brampton Mayor Susan Fennell and Metrolinx CEO Bruce McCuaig.

Mississauga and Brampton are already moving ahead on the project’s design so it’s ready to roll as soon as money becomes available.

Above-ground LRT costs about a third as much as subways — the TTC estimates about $100 million per kilometre compared to about $300 million for tunneling.

Ford hasn’t specified whether he would agree to underground LRT such as that being planned for the Eglinton line of Transit City, rather than subways which carry more riders. But once a project goes under the road the costs are about the same as subways, according to TTC chief general manager Gary Webster.

Interesting quote at the end.

The Hurontario LRT project will sure be getting managers, planners, engineers, etc. from the postponed Finch West LRT (and altered Sheppard East) projects. At least they'll have experience to build on and hold onto until after the Ford years in Toronto, when they'll likely return.

Last edited:
The Hurontario LRT project will sure be getting managers, planners, engineers, etc. from the postponed Finch West LRT (and altered Sheppard East) projects. At least they'll have experience to build on and hold onto until after the Ford years in Toronto, when they'll likely return.

You got any proof of this? I don't see how Mississauga and Brampton would just take City of Toronto employees....

You got any proof of this? I don't see how Mississauga and Brampton would just take City of Toronto employees....

I agree. I don't really think that Mississauga and Brampton are in the position to be poaching City of Toronto employees for their own projects. I'm not sure of the exact organizational structure of the Transit City division, but I really doubt they had engineers and planners working JUST on one project. All of those projects were in different phases at different times, so their expertise was probably divided between 3 or 4 projects.

I know with my planning work, I work on 4-5 projects in any given DAY, let alone how many I'm working on in total. Having employees working on ONLY one project would be a real waste of money.

If anything is freed up, it would have been the private consultants and sub-contractors that were working on individual aspects of the Transit City project, that now have some time freed up to work on the Hurontario LRT. However, they were probably working on it anyway, because a lot of those types of contracts go to a group of 2-3 different firms.

If secondments could be worked out, it would allow expertise to be retained in the municipal sector rather than CoT firing people and CoM hiring other people or short term contractors. When the CoT people returned from secondment they would bring experience of LRT construction under Ontario conditions.

There's another problem here ... when / where is the money for this project coming ? No commitments on any level from what I can tell ?

There's another problem here ... when / where is the money for this project coming ? No commitments on any level from what I can tell ?

The first phase (Sq One to Downtown Brampton) isn't projected to be complete until 2016...

I doubt that they are "City of Toronto employees"...

Why do you doubt that? The TTC and the City had a whole division of planners and engineers working on Transit City. There were job postings on both the City's and TTC's website for months looking for planners and engineers specifically for the Transit City projects...

Why do you doubt that? The TTC and the City had a whole division of planners and engineers working on Transit City. There were job postings on both the City's and TTC's website for months looking for planners and engineers specifically for the Transit City projects...

I'm just saying they're probably not City of Toronto employees anymore, they're nobody's employees. So I don't see the problem with hiring them.

The first phase (Sq One to Downtown Brampton) isn't projected to be complete until 2016...

That doesn't answer my question at all? Are they going to fund it themselves ? Are they rallying for funding now ?

So you think the City fired them all after Transit City was canned?

Yeah, I guess they're probably still busy with the myriad other LRT projects the city has going on.

That doesn't answer my question at all? Are they going to fund it themselves ? Are they rallying for funding now ?

What makes you think they're going to fund themselves? Just because they haven't received funding from higher level government for a project that has just finished extensive study and doesn't even have the construction scheduled, that means they are never going to?

Yeah, I guess they're probably still busy with the myriad other LRT projects the city has going on.
They are likely "busy" on the original projects. The commission has made no move to cancel any of these projects! No do I see anything in today's agenda to cancel or delay any of these projects.

Funding will have to wait until after October, and then probably 4 more years while we weather through a Conservative term.

There is a tender out for a new consultant for this project and it should be known by July who it will be as well getting them up to speed on it.

The first round of Open Houses will start in the fall.

By the time the EA is completed within 12 months of starting, 35% of construction drawing will be completed and ready to go to tender. The public will have a say on those drawings.

This would see this project going to Metrolinx early 2013 for approval and have the funding put in place for the 2013 Provincial budget. If approved at all levels, tenders would go out during the summer with construction starting in 2014 at the earliest.

Since the PC will most likely gain control in Oct this year, this project as well most of Move Ontario 2020 plans will be shelve for the next 4 years. GO may escape most of the cuts, and one reasons there been a push on GO project these days to make sure they get the funding to complete them under the PC.

If Mississauga and Brampton stay the course against the wishes of Metrolinx to where the carhouse will be located, the line will start at the 407 going into Brampton as well going south from there first.

This will be a P3 project not only for construction, but also for operation.

It is possible that the line will open for service in phases.

Back