Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

July 3
1689078467509.jpeg

1689078480380.jpeg

I'm not following why TPH is a function of loop or no loop.
I’m guessing they are suggesting that some trains would go through the loop and others would simply continue down hurontario. But that means running additional trains which in the end according to how they write it seems to serve everyone.

Nothing stops them from operating more trains per hour without the loop. Just opex subsidy.

I'm not following why TPH is a function of loop or no loop.

Possibly the driver walking to the other end of the train at the Square-One turnback point during passengers loading/unloading.

The congestion from trains at the Square One stop, including crossing over the other tracks, is similar to that of subway trains entering/leaving Wilson Yard during AM rush. Fly unders for the northbound, and potentially a separate level at the station entirely (total segregation from southbound service) could completely eliminate the bottleneck.

It's less that the loop helps and more that they didn't consult the TTC on how to build and operate a high-frequency dead-end, or the desire to save a few dollars on initial capital outweighed a desire to provide strong service.

Last edited:
Nothing stops them from operating more trains per hour without the loop. Just opex subsidy.
That's not true.

With the track as it is currently planned to be built, all trains heading to the Square One Terminal will have to operate on a single pair of tracks, and change directions. This means that if the headways north of the 403 and south of the 403 are each 5 minutes, that the headway on that short stretch of track will be 2 and a half minutes, assuming all trains are heading into the terminal. The minimum headway on that stretch will be only a little bit less than that, due to the double-crossovers and stub-ended terminal.

With the loop, they could run trains from the north counter-clockwise and ones from the south clockwise around the loop, meaning that the only point at which they would cross over each other is at the north-east corner by the 403. They would be able to run far, far closer headways because each route will now have its own track.

Dan

That's not true.

With the track as it is currently planned to be built, all trains heading to the Square One Terminal will have to operate on a single pair of tracks, and change directions. This means that if the headways north of the 403 and south of the 403 are each 5 minutes, that the headway on that short stretch of track will be 2 and a half minutes, assuming all trains are heading into the terminal. The minimum headway on that stretch will be only a little bit less than that, due to the double-crossovers and stub-ended terminal.

With the loop, they could run trains from the north counter-clockwise and ones from the south clockwise around the loop, meaning that the only point at which they would cross over each other is at the north-east corner by the 403. They would be able to run far, far closer headways because each route will now have its own track.

Dan
I do know that the line is planned to open with fewer TPH than it is designed to support, as this has been announced. That kind of puts a damper on the idea that adding the loop will lead them to operate more trains.

July 17
Bristol Intersection close to e-w traffic and Route 10 buses. The intersection close until Aug.

New small sidewalk light post installed south of Sq One Dr for the southbound lanes.

Next to no one working on close to a dozen work area due lack of manpower. On 5 working on the elevated section to Rathburn.

Have police cars at various sites with no one working in the area with some not having anyone in the car with flashing lights on.

They have removed a strip of asphalt on the Rathburn bridge next to the sidewalk and no idea why. Was told a long time ago that the bridge wasn't to be touch for this project. The only thing I see that could happen is the sidewalk is now to be replace as it needs some work.

More up on my site for the 14 & 17
53055589487_4c2f20e02d_b.jpg

53056177666_bffc7f0c31_b.jpg

53056359104_6bd88dcd13_b.jpg

53055589877_cc8128ec56_b.jpg

53056178031_01ea57c3e8_b.jpg

53056178091_c534503d59_b.jpg

The quickest way to increase service is to add a few additional tracks and platforms. If this was a subway would they be creating a spur or a trip around the mall? It should have been developed as a through route and they should have moved the bus terminal. I hope I never need to use this LRT because the moment I need to take a tour around the mall to go from Matheson to Dundas is the moment I loose my mind. Just by car that makes a 10 min trip (6.1km) turn into 26 minutes (10.2km).

The quickest way to increase service is to add a few additional tracks and platforms. If this was a subway would they be creating a spur or a trip around the mall? It should have been developed as a through route and they should have moved the bus terminal. I hope I never need to use this LRT because the moment I need to take a tour around the mall to go from Matheson to Dundas is the moment I loose my mind. Just by car that makes a 10 min trip (6.1km) turn into 26 minutes (10.2km).
I have been saying from day one that the loop will add extra travel time like it used to be with the 19. On a good day, you spent 15 minutes to/from Hurontario on the 19 to 20 minutes.. When they split the 19, it became 15-20 minutes for good time. With route 17 now to see longer headway, looks like 20-30 minutes to bypass Sq One and better off using 103 as it will save you 13 minutes today.

The big fear with the loop, the line will be split like it is today where in the north seeing longer headway than the south that you will be far off driving to pass Sq One if you are going to Cooksville GO Station. Totally defeat Rapid Transit on Hurontario. You can hold a lot more riders on an 42m car than an 18m bus to deal with longer headway. You will be lucky to see a 2nd car train come 2035-40 and only after they built the extension for it from the current 50m platforms.

If they run every other train bypassing Sq One, ppl will use the line to get pass Sq One to either Cooksville GO or Dundas.

As we have seen, ridership drops off at the Queensway and why the 103 doesn't run to PC anymore.

Depending where they put the crossovers, we could see every 2nd car going to PC until real demand for service to PC surface.

There been talk about moving CCTT across the street for a new transit hub with GO and an underground Transitway which is under study now. Long over due and it better be design for 150,000 riders from day one, otherwise we will be back to where we are today, let along 1995.

More information on the Downtown Loop:
1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Downtown Loop alignment options include: Duke of York Boulevard, Living Arts Drive, and Confederation Parkway.

During the earlier stages of planning, Living Arts Dr. used to be the preferred alignment for downtown loop before it was relocated along Duke of York Blvd, then ultimately deferred.

Back