Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I think what Enviro is saying is make a quickie run into the terminal and back out again (not ignoring Hurontario) and for those wanting to venture far from Hurontario or the CCTT transfer to one of the many buses that serve CCTT.

15 to 20 minutes quickie run into the terminal and back out again is a waste of my time as well others who just want to bypass it to where we want to go in the first place. We already have that now with the buses. Having to wait for the 2nd or 3rd LRT is a waste of riders time and will keep people in their cars as well going out and buy one.

The shifting of the LRT is to services that new condo city to the west which is well service today by buses. It is to replace the free shuttle bus.

It is also deal with the issue of servicing Brampton. If development takes place north of 403, ridership will out strip Sq One loop. Moreso, once the Milton line comes all day and every 20 minutes.

The City is lacking vision.

I would have been at the LAC Thursday, but had a meeting in Toronto that was set before this meeting came up.

The city is lacking funds to deal with transit in the first place and does it on the cheap side doing it.

Another option I thought of:

Hurontario%20LRT%20Option%20B.jpg

Also something to consider... You could potentially close Rathburn to traffic. Allow only buses between Duke of York, and City Centre Dr.

I agree with the plan for a new transit bridge over the 403, but how it connects with Hurontario at the north end will be interesting.

As for looping by Rathburn, I agree with the closing of it between DoY and City Centre. It does have it's problem connecting to Hurontario on the south end.

Doing so, allows for a transit mall and will be a long one. It still add travel time close to 10 minutes doing this way.

You will have to build a 3 underpass from it to Sq One.

At the end of the day, a tunnel will have to be built under City Center and the 403 for the LRT if it is to service Sq One. A new 3/4 level bus terminal will be require in the north-east corner of Sq One to meet future needs and growth. $35-$50 million for the terminal alone.

If REX is to service Sq One, you do need a new terminal.

There is a difference of 10m depending on where you count the entrance to Yorkdale. From the exit of the office building that contains GO, or the entrance of Yorkdale on the other side of the tunnel.
Differene of 84-94m depending on which option you choose.

Yorkdale-Square%20One%20Distances.jpg

First of all, you measured the distance from the subway station to the Yorkdale, not from from the bus terminal to Yorkdale. The bus terminal is right in between them, literally right across the street from both, approximately 50-100 metres from either. The MT terminal you are proposing would be 270m from Square One and 150m from the LRT station, much less convenient. The terminal you propose not right at Burnhamthorpe/Hurontario after all, though I think it would actually be better this way.

First of all, you measured the distance from the subway station to the Yorkdale, not from from the bus terminal to Yorkdale. The bus terminal is right in between them, literally right across the street from both, approximately 50-100 metres from either. The MT terminal you are proposing would be 270m from Square One and 150m from the LRT station, much less convenient. The terminal you propose not right at Burnhamthorpe/Hurontario after all, though I think it would actually be better this way.

Yes I measured from the subway station. That was the point. The LRT is the equivalent of the subway station, not the bus. Also that's the GO station, which we are not talking about.

Urbanfan, great idea. However since we're talking about an underground alignment here, it doesn't necessarily have to follow the street grid so rigidly. You could utilize the space underneath the existing parking lots surrounding Square One to produce a faster and less circuitous right-of-way. And perhaps you could opt to routing along City Centre Dr versus Burhamthrope Rd on the southern part to bring the LRT a bit closer to the mall and nearby office buildings there.

There is some deviation from Hurontario itself, but it should not be too significant.

My point exactly. The extra distance the LRT travels should be no more than twice the distance between Hurontario and the transit terminal (just over 1km). Your route makes sense in that there is no backtracking besides the E-W required to get to the terminal and no meaningful part of Hurontario gets missed.

The other option that would make sense is building a terminal under the Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe intersection similar to what is being proposed at Steeles on the Yonge subway extension.

My feeling that (a) there is value in a central transit terminal and (b) that backtracking should be minimized.

Last edited:
I support Urbanfan's basic idea. I totally agree that the LRT should deviate no more than necessary, and while more expensive, it does the job with minimal tunnelling, using the 403/Hydro corridor and passing under the SQ1 parking lot where cut-and-cover should be a piece of cake.

Any idea about stop spacing?

The team for 21 are calling for 400m while the Hurontario team is calling for 500m and show different thinking between both teams. Like the 21 thinking.

400m is a better spacing, but it will have issues like the 500m. How to connect to the area's on either side of Hurontario is no simple spacing base on the road systems in those areas. In some spots by moving a stop, riders will have up to an extra 500m to walk to that stop.

This is my proposal, for what it's worth. It involves tunnelling a section of the LRT to go round to the transit terminal (in bold). There is some deviation from Hurontario itself, but it should not be too significant.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=108050198920242492381.0004652280174362db4b6

Great proposal! Wonder how long that tunnel would be in total. But it'd be really easy to do cut and cover for most of it. That's what makes it so attractive.

The team for 21 are calling for 400m while the Hurontario team is calling for 500m and show different thinking between both teams. Like the 21 thinking.

400m is a better spacing, but it will have issues like the 500m. How to connect to the area's on either side of Hurontario is no simple spacing base on the road systems in those areas. In some spots by moving a stop, riders will have up to an extra 500m to walk to that stop.

I realize this isn't a subway, but an LRT would provide much better service than bus on this corridor, so people will walk farther for it. That said, most of the people who take it will be taking it regardless, so the stop distance doesn't really matter to them too much. 500 m is fine.

Back