Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I went to the Brampton LRT open house last week. Some details, including the plan for the Steeles terminal station are posted:

https://seanmarshall.ca/2017/03/03/a-better-hurontario-street-an-lrt-update/
Good summary.....find it interesting that, at this time, there are 3 comments on your post

1. thinks this whole project is a disaster because of the reduction in car lanes to 2
  2. thinks Brampton made a terrible mistake by not voting in favour of extending this to DT Brampton
  3. is, presumably, opposed to this because we should be focused on building one new subway stop a year in the GTA (part of the subways, subways, subways crowd)
So the limited posters represent a interesting microcosm of GTA as whole.....33% "what about the cars" 33% "yeah LRT" 33% "we need subways"

:) ;)

Is it a stretch to call this "early works"? Regardless, I'm glad to see Mississauga embracing LRT and moving ahead, unlike other cities.

Trees Relocated Along Hurontario Street to Prepare for New Light Rail Transit System

Today, the City of Mississauga relocated seven Pyramidal English Oak trees to the centre median on Burnhamthorpe Rd. W., west of Promontory Cres. The Hurontario St. Pyramidal English Oak trees have been part of the City’s temporary Public Art program for the last three years. Led by the City’s Forestry team, the trees were moved from the centre median on Hurontario St., north of Matthews Gate to prepare for the Hurontario Light Rail Transit (LRT) project.

“Trees play an important role in our community including mitigating stormwater runoff and reducing environmental impacts. We are taking every effort to ensure those trees that can be relocated continue to benefit our community,” said Jessica McEachren, Manager, Forestry. “We will be monitoring the status of the newly replanted Pyramidal English Oak trees to gain a better understanding of what’s needed to successfully relocate and protect other trees on the Hurontario St. centre median.”

Additional trees along the Hurontario St. centre median will be relocated in spring 2018 to prepare for LRT construction.

“To accommodate for the LRT, some trees along Hurontario St. will be removed and/or relocated where possible,” said Joe Perrotta, Director, Hurontario LRT Project Office. “We’re looking for opportunities to enhance the tree canopy along the boulevards and committed to removing as few trees as possible. Where trees have to be removed, they will be replaced in a sustainable manner. Mature and healthy trees not impacted by construction will be protected in accordance with the City’s Forestry standards.”

The Hurontario LRT will bring 20 kilometres of fast, reliable, rapid transit to the cities of Mississauga and Brampton along the Hurontario corridor. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2018 and anticipated to be completed in 2022. For more information about the Hurontario LRT, visit metrolinx.com/HurontarioLRT.

To learn more about the City’s Parks and Forestry team, visit mississauga.ca/parks&forestry and read Urban Tree Canopy

Interesting tweet from the Hurontario LRT Twitter account. It would be great to see it continue south to the waterfront in a future extension, as was originally planned with the nixed "Elizabeth" stop south of Lakeshore.

nqulfHY.png

Interesting tweet from the Hurontario LRT Twitter account. It would be great to see it continue south to the waterfront in a future extension, as was originally planned with the nixed "Elizabeth" stop south of Lakeshore.

nqulfHY.png
Its part of the Lakeshore study for transportation. Until that study is done, how the line will service PC and the new West PC Village is off the table at this time for this line.

Once the city decides which route its going to take for transit on the Lakeshore, the city can request the funding for LRT only to PC. The city will have to pickup the extra cost going to the West PC Village unless it applies for the funding, but will have to get in line for it.

The current RFP to go to tender shortly has options built into it to allow the PC station to be built on the surface as an LRT as well for Brampton Line on Main St to the GO stations as per the original EA.

Who every wins the contract for this line will built and operate the extension.

Tuesday night saw the first of the plan 4/5 community quarterly update meeting that will take place until 2022.

The Project manager was only been on board 3 weeks. The ward councilor was there as well the city project manager. The meeting was chair by ML communication director and the community ML PR person who is on site all weekdays.

This is more a PR community group that is hand pick by ML and the city. The public can attend these meeting if they know about it, but have to sit on the sideline and not allow to speak or ask questions during the meeting. If one gets on to a group, it will be for the area they live or work in and not allow onto other groups.

The groups has no say in design, location of stations, etc.

A number of issues and concerns were raised, but a number can't be dealt with until the tender is awarded, as they will be up to the wining bidder. Only then can they be address.

There is no way the tender process can be speed up to get ahead of the election, but both this project and Hamilton are being setup to say to the next government it would be in their best interest to carry on with it, than cancel it.

A number of interesting things were stated at the meeting and will not disclosed them for various reasons, but back up various comments about things I have stated in this thread as well others.

Operation and fare box recovery was raised, as well have cars bypassing the loop. I wasn't the one to raise it, but an issues for me. Headway will be every 5 minutes with off peak being about 10 like I expected and subject operation agreement with the winner and operator of the contract.

There is a review underway how the LRT line will get over the 403 as the current plan will not work. It most likely go back to the original idea of having a bridge west of the current bridge connecting to City Centre Dr. This also has an impact going south of Rathburn.

The line will open late 2022 as one line, not in phases like I and other hope. Some areas will see 7/24 work while others up to 11 pm. There will be a number of area along the full route under construction at all the time.

As noted above, the tender will have an option to take the line north to Brampton GO Station by "Main St" only if Brampton Council decide to go back to the original plan. The wining bidder will build and operate that extension. There is no option for any other route Brampton wants at the end of the day. The extension will take place once Brampton sign the doted line at no extra cost that I am aware of.

The vehicles for this line and Hamilton are an option only to ML Toronto and therefore, ML can look elsewhere for a supplier or have it part of the tender. The one question I fail to asked, will the vehicles have an option to allow all pantograph, part pantograph and battery or all battery? There are cost saving for the 3 options, but what are they is unknown at this time since I haven't seen any data doing this so far. If existing systems are converting from Pans to all battery, there must be a good cost saving to do it.

If I remember correctly since my pen die, but there is to be a Townhall tell call on May 13 & 14. Public meeting June 6 at Frank, June 7 at Mississauga Valley Community Centre, June 8 at Port Credit ?. All meetings are from 6:00 to 8:00(?) and will pas on correct info once I get it.

Question, is the terminus in Brampton being built in a manner that would allow a norther extension if the city comes to its senses?

Question, is the terminus in Brampton being built in a manner that would allow a norther extension if the city comes to its senses?
If you look at the plan for the platform on the south side of Steeles, it handle any direction the line can go, including north.

If the city comes to it sense, the platform should be located to the north side as plan, if it happen before construction starts.

Tuesdaynight saw the first of the plan 4/5 community quarterly update meeting

I don't fully understand this part because of how it is written. Was this the first of five planned meetings? Will they happen every quarter? Who is hosting them?

I don't fully understand this part because of how it is written. Was this the first of five planned meetings? Will they happen every quarter? Who is hosting them?
I should had said 4/5 community committees will meet Quarterly

It was stated that a 5th committee maybe require for Brampton, but there was another one this week and 2 next week for Mississauga. Ward councilors are supposed to be at them.

Every quarter until open day, meetings will be held for all groups.

Metrolinx is controlling the meeting with the help of the city.

This was the first meeting.

Thanks. Is there a map of the boundaries of the "communities"? Do they follow the ward boundaries?

I should had said 4/5 community committees will meet Quarterly

It was stated that a 5th committee maybe require for Brampton, but there was another one this week and 2 next week for Mississauga. Ward councilors are supposed to be at them.

Every quarter until open day, meetings will be held for all groups.

Metrolinx is controlling the meeting with the help of the city.

This was the first meeting.

Thanks. Is there a map of the boundaries of the "communities"? Do they follow the ward boundaries?
No map that I know of or how it setup by wards.

Mississauga City staff have commented on Metrolinx's procurement of non-Bombardier LRVs. Article here.

City of Mississauga supports Metrolinx deal with Bombardier competitor, Alstom
May 12, 2017 by Rachael Williams, Mississauga News

Mississauga city staff say they are confident the $528-million deal between Metrolinx and Bombardier's rival, Alstom, will not result in any unforeseen project delays or cost increases for the Hurontario LRT.

Provincial transportation minister Steven Del Duca announced Metrolinx has agreed to purchase 61 cars from Alstom, a French manufacturer, in case Bombardier fails to meet its deadline for the Eglinton Crosstown cars. Forty-four of the vehicles are officially earmarked for Mississauga’s 20-kilometre Hurontario LRT. The rest will be allocated to rail lines along Finch Avenue.

However, if Bombardier fails to deliver enough cars to open the Crosstown by 2021, the Alstom vehicles will be redirected to that project. Additional vehicles will have to be purchased by Metrolinx to cover the Hurontario and Finch lines.

“At this time the project schedule remains the same we would work with our partners at Metrolinx to determine plans,” said Geoff Wright, commissioner of transportation and works with the City of Mississauga. “In the statement from the Minister, it indicates that their announcement today is about a plan to ensure projects are delivered on time as it relates to LRT vehicles.”

The deal with Alstom is designed to safeguard the LRT timelines in case Bombardier fails to meet its targets.

“We believe that this is both a creative and prudent approach to dealing with a less than ideal situation that none of us relishes being in,” said Del Duca at the press conference.

In 2010, Metrolinx signed a $770-million deal with Bombardier for the purchase of 182 light rail transit vehicles. The first two pilot vehicles were set to arrive in spring 2015, but manufacturing delays and legal battles slowed down production.

The province tried to terminate the contract last fall, but an Ontario Superior Court Judge ruled Bombardier would suffer irreparable harm if the deal were cancelled. The issue was re-directed to a dispute-resolution board, a process which takes eight to 12 months.

Fearing further project delays, Metrolinx sole-sourced the new deal with Alstom, who’s vehicles are larger, meaning less are required to service the Crosstown.

The deal also reduces the financial risk for the province, as Metrolinx could have faced fines of up to $500,000 per day, owed to the consortium building the Crosstown, if vehicles weren’t ready to go when needed.

Last edited:

Back