Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

First of all I have to admire how un-pedestrian friendly roads are in Brampton, with their obscene amount of traffic lanes, turn lanes and wide curb radii.

View attachment 97945

Yea, it honestly sounds like you're describing the vast majority of Mississauga as well. Both municipalities never really had a great pedestrian friendly road system when first built out, and it'll take a lot of work to even attempt to fix that. I do understand what you mean, for it can be argued that Brampton is more pedestrian unfriendly, although I'd disagree.

Yea, it honestly sounds like you're describing the vast majority of Mississauga as well. Both municipalities never really had a great pedestrian friendly road system when first built out, and it'll take a lot of work to even attempt to fix that. I do understand what you mean, for it can be argued that Brampton is more pedestrian unfriendly, although I'd disagree.

I agree completely about Mississauga. I honestly can't tell which city is more pedestrian unfriendly. Frankly I despise them both, though at least brampton has a nice city centre.

and it'll take a lot of work to even attempt to fix that.
Well Brampton is not even trying, judging by the graphic of Steeles & Hurontario. Even after it's rebuilt, it will remain almost as bad as today. So much so that they're proposing a pedestrian tunnel between a surface bus terminal and a surface LRT stop. They don't want pedestrians to get in the way of turning cars in their double turn lanes.

Last edited:
I agree completely about Mississauga. I honestly can't tell which city is more pedestrian unfriendly. Frankly I despise them both, though at least brampton has a nice city centre.

Well Brampton is not even trying, judging by the graphic of Steeles & Hurontario. Even after it's rebuilt, it will remain almost as bad as today. So much so that they're proposing a pedestrian tunnel between a surface bus terminal and a surface LRT stop. They don't want pedestrians to get in the way of turning cars in their double turn lanes.
Intersection kinda reminds me of Front Street and Spadina.....bet those pedestrians would love to have a tunnel!

First of all I have to admire how un-pedestrian friendly roads are in Brampton, with their obscene amount of traffic lanes, turn lanes and wide curb radii. Brampton is getting a light rail line and yet they're trying their best to remain stuck in the past.

Ideally the station should have been placed on the north side of the intersection, where it would have been right across from the bus terminal, Shoppers World, and where there's more development potential. But because Brampton Council bungled it up and still haven't decided how to extend the LRT to the city centre, the Steeles stop design must accommodate all the shitty alternative routes that city staff soundly rejected instead of focusing on more important considerations. Apparently a tunnel on Main St is not one of the route options anymore. Great.

View attachment 97945

Yikes! Well, at least if going straight up Main St isn't an option anymore, they should choose McLaughlin for the better connections to Sheridan College and Flowertown Community/Senior's Centre; and allows for the terminus to be built directly underneath the GO station for easier transferring.

My preference would still be for a stacked tunnel under Main St north of Nanwood though. How this would disrupt the houses along Main St any more so than existing traffic, I don't know. And the Brampton Gateway Stn should be on the north side of the intersection.

When did that McLaughlin route evolve from the oringinal one that had it veering off McLaughlin NW along the OBRY to the GO station?

When did that McLaughlin route evolve from the oringinal one that had it veering off McLaughlin NW along the OBRY to the GO station?

My recollection is that it particular alignment on McLaughlin was recommended by staff in mid-2016 along with the Creek Route and Kennedy. Council nixed the Creek Route.

It'll be interesting to see if Council makes any amendments in terms of adding any routes, modifying McLaughlin (including to the version TOareaFan mentions), or even narrowing it further to McLaughlin or Kennedy. Hard to say at this point. There's also the issue of when this Council would want to start asking for funding from the Province/Feds.

Intersection kinda reminds me of Front Street and Spadina.....bet those pedestrians would love to have a tunnel!

I'm pretty sure even Spadina is not quite as wide as Steeles, and that Front St is not wide at all. I'm also pretty sure traffic on Spadina doesn't move nearly as fast or have that many turn lanes. On the other hand, I wonder if Spadina will ever have a bike lane in my lifetime. ;)

I'm not against having a tunnel at Steeles & Main. Pedestrians would otherwise have to cross the intersection twice to go from the bus terminal to the LRT station. You could wait a while to get a green light since it's a huge intersection with several signal phases. Plus the crossing distance is enormous, and there is a lot of traffic and turning vehicles. Had the station been placed on the north side of the intersection, directly across from the terminal (which is only possible with a Main St alignment), then the pedestrian tunnel probably wouldn't be necessary. But it is what it is.

I'm pretty sure even Spadina is not quite as wide as Steeles,

Plus, Spadina DOES have a tunnel - kinda. The North Linear Park runs under Spadina. It's actually well used by commuters in the morning and evening. Unless you are heading to Southcore, it's the fastest way for most people in CityPlace to cross Spadina.[/QUOTE]

Isn't the expensive part of tunneling the stations themselves. Why not go underground after Steeles and then have one surface station just north of queen

Plus, Spadina DOES have a tunnel - kinda. The North Linear Park runs under Spadina. It's actually well used by commuters in the morning and evening. Unless you are heading to Southcore, it's the fastest way for most people in CityPlace to cross Spadina.
[/QUOTE]
See, I looked at the tunnel at Steeles and Main as a pedestrian/transit user safety/convenience feature rather than a car convenience feature.

First of all I have to admire how un-pedestrian friendly roads are in Brampton, with their obscene amount of traffic lanes, turn lanes and wide curb radii. Brampton is getting a light rail line and yet they're trying their best to remain stuck in the past.

There is a huge industrial area to the east of Hwy 10/Main. So a lot of trucks do come up Hwy 10 from the 401. It's their secondary access if the 410 has traffic jams. And will continue to be so.

And remember that prior to the 410 this was the only access going north into Brampton and their industrial park. Including the old areas such as the Kodak plant on Hwy 7 that is now a subdivision.

Guys I visited a friend on the weekend who moved to the Caledon/Brampton border... The guy had the EXACT same townhouse unit that another one of my friends have at Wilson/400. Im sure there was a price difference but the fact is that transit can serve the one friend but will never be able to serve the other. That is not transits fault. That is people buying houses in stupid areas fault. Id like to blame the government for allowing people to build out here but then people will argue that if we limit development to a certain area we will artificially inflate those prices serving the rich and leaving the poor out. There is a plus and minus of everything. But some of these poeple whom are buying in suburbia and can barely afford their mortgages are going to be in real trouble when gas prices inflate/tolls and its combined with no luck in transit. I don't think transit should feel compelled to serve these people. Im jsut saying sometimes its a lost cause.

Back