Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

London is planning it's rapid transit route and knows the route but wants LRT but right now they don't know what they can get because Queen's Park hasn't brought forth any money. It's hard to make a firm decision between BRT and the preferred LRT when they don't know how much they will be given. They already have the routes decided and the mayor and council is behind it 100% and the city is very eager to get shovels in the ground.

London has the 4th highest ridership in the province and third highest per-capita. Despite Hamilton being a transit basket case and having the slowest growing ridership of any Ontario city in the last 10 years they are getting money up the ass with no contribution expected from either it's LRT of GO. Hamilton Railway {transit} serves 540,000 people yet has lower ridership than London transit which serves only 375,000 as about 10,000 in the outer areas of the city have no access to transit.

If Wynne makes London pay for it's LRT when lower total and much lower per-capita ridership cities of Brampton and Hamilton get their LRTs and GO paid for 100% they will be hell to pay and she may find herself with a SW mutiny on her hands as the SW already feels it gets ignored by Queen's Park.

@ssiguy2, the provincial infrastructure funding is split equally between the GTA and rest of Ontario. I agree with your business case for London, but London is not part of the GTA therefore they are not entitled to Brampton's forfeited money. Or at least that's my understanding of it.

Unfortunately they voted to permanently not investigate or plan for anything on Main St. So...as far as I can tell city staff can only investigate alternative routes, and can't work with MLX on the Main route anymore...that would need to be overturned I would assume before a Main/Queen route could be looked at...so basically not going to happen in the next 3 years. Even if they overturn it after the next election there is 5 years to get back to where we are now...so 8 years before we get to this point...and that's assuming there is provincial or federal governments that will want to re-open this at that point.

Bill Davis will likely be in a senior's home by then so they should have no opposition.

Unfortunately they voted to permanently not investigate or plan for anything on Main St. So...as far as I can tell city staff can only investigate alternative routes, and can't work with MLX on the Main route anymore...that would need to be overturned I would assume before a Main/Queen route could be looked at...so basically not going to happen in the next 3 years. Even if they overturn it after the next election there is 5 years to get back to where we are now...so 8 years before we get to this point...and that's assuming there is provincial or federal governments that will want to re-open this at that point.

It is very possible that they set themselves back by 8 or 10 years. But such delay would be due to the logistic of the project; not due to the provincial government or ML deliberately refusing to fund them.

It is very possible that they set themselves back by 8 or 10 years. But such delay would be due to the logistic of the project; not due to the provincial government or ML deliberately refusing to fund them.

Who knows what they'll be willing to do in 8 to 10 years...it might be some conservative government by then that decides they don't want to fund public transit...

Brampton may regret derailing its LRT: Editorial

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...n-may-regret-derailing-its-lrt-editorial.html

"But it mustn’t consider the $400 million that it turned its back on this past week as somehow owed to the city. In the absence of a sound transit plan, Brampton might well receive nothing. And rightly so."

AMEN +1 +1 +1
you know, if the Star is going to slag off a community of 600k as if everyone of them voted on this....they could at least get the numbers right. Whatever you think of the vote....it was not on $400million.....not even close.

I hope they fail. Whatever inferior gerrymandered route they come up with that avoids downtown will cost more and be inconvenient for riders.

The other things you say may be true but the bolded one is just not true. The 3 routes that seem to be most supported by the "no" councilors all get to the same place downtown as the ML preferred/supported route.

One goes east on Steeles to McLaughlin and north via McLaughlin and the rail tracks to the GO station, another veers off Main via a park and gets to Queen around the hospital site then goes west on Queen to the GO station and the third goes east on Steeles to Kennedy then North to Queen and east to the GO station.

So, whatever else they may be (and you may well be right), this theme that the "no" voters are somehow trying to take the LRT somewhere other than downtown is incorrect.

I would go so far as to say that if one of these routes got to a 6-5 win position on council and if the city of Brampton could convince the feds to pay the additional cost of that route....the province would be on very shaky political ground refusing to restore their $190MM to that option. Like the Scarborough subway, it may be inferior to what the province wanted but if it has local support and does not cost the province any additional funds...what do they care?

you know, if the Star is going to slag off a community of 600k as if everyone of them voted on this....they could at least get the numbers right. Whatever you think of the vote....it was not on $400million.....not even close.

The article never mentioned or blamed the residents of Brampton. This is on the councillors. They are the absolute idiots thag should wake up and realize they aren't entitled to anything from the provincial government for their fantasy LRT route.

They looked a gift horse in the mouth and the horse got rightfully angry.

But yeah I don't know where they got $400 million from. Everyone is saying the freed up funds amount to $190 million.

The article never mentioned or blamed the residents of Brampton.
the headline....

This is on the councillors. They are the absolute idiots thag should wake up and realize they aren't entitled to anything from the provincial government for their fantasy LRT route.

read my follow up post...why, if Brampton can source any additional cost, would the same money not be available from the province?

The article never mentioned or blamed the residents of Brampton. This is on the councillors.

Speaking of residents...

Screen shot 2015-11-01 at 9.48.09 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-01 at 9.48.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-01 at 9.48.09 PM.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 453
Very interesting how Metrolinx CEO Bruce McCuaig stated that the funding will be withdrawn from Brampton and used to fund other transit projects across the province..................note he said across the PROVINCE and not GTAH. If he didn't misspeak then that bodes well for London.

Also Salsa........you noted that transit infrastructure money is divided between the GTA and the rest of the province. Is it GTA because I thought GTAH were considered together?

Back