Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I like how Brampton has a QA period after the vote. Gives folks a chance to them on public record that they really fucked this up. Something satisfying in watching the no aide side being bashed.

I kinda want to wake up and have del duca come out and say that this is a project of regional significance so fuck you guys we doing this shit.

I hate to sound punitive but man if Toronto could get their hands on that cash for some transit of our own, I wouldn't be the slightest bit remorseful

Damn. I was rooting for The Full Hurontari-Mainty (The Full Monty), as by the mid 2020's it would be worth the connectivity enhancements.

If the funding goes back to the province-wide LRT transit pot, and the East Bayfront LRT isn't able to get funded...

...Then I'd suggest 25 percent of the cancellation heads to funding an A-Line LRT stub extension from waterfront to Hamilton St. Joe's hospital, 1km south of the Hamilton GO station. The rest of GTHA could get the rest.

This is clearly a loss for Brampton, but not a loss for the region. There's a laundry list of equally or more important projects this money can be redirected to. The most logical spot for this money would be the East Bayfront LRT, as $386 Million from Metrolinx + $50 Million from the Waterfront Toronto covers nearly all the costs of the line. We might also be able to complete another one of the Hamilton RT lines. This money could also be used to fund a small part of various other RT projects, such as GO RER, Yonge North and the Relief Line. This money also happens to be just enough for the 60 new streetcars Toronto wants. My hope is that the money lands on East Bayfront.

If the funding goes back to the province-wide LRT transit pot, and the East Bayfront LRT isn't able to get funded...

...Then I'd suggest 25 percent of the cancellation heads to funding an A-Line LRT stub extension from waterfront to Hamilton St. Joe's hospital, 1km south of the Hamilton GO station.

Your city council is just as pathetic. Lucky for you that the LRT is still going ahead in spite of them.

Alright kids, this is why Toronto should have like 20 EA's just sitting around waiting to get funded...if Tory isn't requesting the funds tomorrow morning on some radio program then he should not get re-elected...

Region of Waterloo is having their first Phase II meeting in November. You can bet they'll be eyeing up the opportunity for more funding after tonight's vote.

A very disappointing outcome tonight. Honestly really gutted that again, politics is making 100-year decisions on a whim. This should have been a no-brainer.

Here's an article from the CBC which sums it up nicely: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/bramton-transit-vote-lrt-1.3291894

Last edited by a moderator:
This meeting turned when Councilor Medeiros proposed his motion with the loop.....Mr. Mcuaig of ML indicated that if that passed they would commence building to Steeles and undertake studies and EAs to consider that amended route.

This was contrary to what ML and the Province had said...they had said the vote had to be for the existing route or nothing at all.

When the no side saw this they immediately went to "well, since it is not a take it or leave it and you will consider other routes.....we want you to consider all routes"

What is very inconsistent is that after the Medeiros motion failed.....ML then went back to the "no other routes...it stops at Steeles" position.

No one looked good tonight.

The loop was the preferred option in the original EA. If new information became available that affected the plan they would have had to amend the EA to change the preferred route. Going back to the loop route would require looking at the information that caused them to amend the EA to see if it really warranted a change.

I recall the loop went up George and down Main Street because of the turning radius of the LRT vehicle and its impact on the park and plaza in front of City Hall. A reverse loop (up Main, down George) will have a bigger impact on the plaza and park.

Given that Peel politicians were suggesting that they take money assigned to the Toronto LRTs to build Hurontario, and Metrolinx this year both funded Hurontario and delayed one of the fully-funded Toronto LRTs by years; it seems only fair to transfer the funding to Toronto.

This is clearly a loss for Brampton, but not a loss for the region. There's a laundry list of equally or more important projects this money can be redirected to. The most logical spot for this money would be the East Bayfront LRT, as $386 Million from Metrolinx + $50 Million from the Waterfront Toronto covers nearly all the costs of the line. We might also be able to complete another one of the Hamilton RT lines. This money could also be used to fund a small part of various other RT projects, such as GO RER, Yonge North and the Relief Line. This money also happens to be just enough for the 60 new streetcars Toronto wants. My hope is that the money lands on East Bayfront.
A max of $190 million was "freed up" last night.

A max of $190 million was "freed up" last night.

But in which years for Metrolinx budgeting purposes? Could Sheppard LRT be moved ahead a year or 2? I think Finch was scheduled to start before HMLRT (2017 for Finch, 2018 for HMLRT), so no possible change there.

I don't really care about extra projects at this point; I just want to see what's on the books to get tendered. Brampton can still do their new routing by taking the 2024/2025 funding Sheppard frees up by being moved into earlier years.

Last edited:
But in which years for Metrolinx budgeting purposes? Could Sheppard LRT be moved ahead a year or 2? I think Finch was scheduled to start before HMLRT (2017 for Finch, 2018 for HMLRT), so no possible change there.

I don't really care about extra projects at this point; I just want to see what's on the books get tendered. Brampton can still do their new routing by taking the 2024/2025 funding Sheppard frees up by being moved into earlier years.
Exactly.......all that really changed last night was the timing.....they will study the alternative routes...figure out the pricing and implications for those and then have a "what do we want and who pays for it" discussion.....at which time they can come back and say to ML...you know what, your idea was not half bad...let's do it.

In a night filled with disingenuous statements....the gold prize goes to Bruce McCuaig....comes into the meeting saying (all quotes here are paraphrasings) "the only route is the one we have approved/presented".....when asked about the "reverse loop" route he says "we are open to consider new routes if that is what council wants, we can get going on building to steeles while we study that and then build that bit at the end" ..when when the no side say "well if we can study that route we can study others too" he says "nah, new routes would take 5 - 6 years to study so we build and stop to Steeles and the money goes back in the pot"....he played a game of chicken with a rookie councilor and came out the loser (unless, of course, stopping at steeles is his preferred thing anyway.....sure makes it easier to just stop ReR at Bramalea now doesn't it)

There is no reason now to give the money to the current council - or really spend any political capital working with them. It would be better to spend the political capital in places it won't be abused or rejected. Mississauga, Waterloo are the two best candidates at this moment. Maybe even Burlington or Oakville. Toronto is a risk, but less so with Tory than with the previous mayor.

If Trudeau knows what's best for him he will only fund projects that are shovel ready...and get as far away from the gong show that is city council in Ontario as possible.

My estimate is that Brampton won't see a Main Street lrt get this far in planning for another 10-15 years...and they will likely have to put up some of their own money to make it happen. Queen st will be put on hold for a similar amount of time. Both Mississauga and Waterloo will have second lines before Brampton gets past steeles.

There is no reason now to give the money to the current council - or really spend any political capital working with them. It would be better to spend the political capital in places it won't be abused or rejected. Mississauga, Waterloo are the two best candidates at this moment. Maybe even Burlington or Oakville. Toronto is a risk, but less so with Tory than with the previous mayor.

If Trudeau knows what's best for him he will only fund projects that are shovel ready...and get as far away from the gong show that is city council in Ontario as possible.

My estimate is that Brampton won't see a Main Street lrt get this far in planning for another 10-15 years...and they will likely have to put up some of their own money to make it happen. Queen st will be put on hold for a similar amount of time. Both Mississauga and Waterloo will have second lines before Brampton gets past steeles.

I think the money should stay in Peel Region, and specifically go to Mississauga. Not only is it a subtle FU to Brampton, but Mississauga has been one of the few municipalities in the GTHA that has never wavered on what its transit priorities are. Mississauga Transitway is partially open and partially under construction now. Hurontario LRT was next on the list, followed by the Dundas BRT. This order has been settled for years now. Metrolinx should be rewarding municipalities who have their shit together instead of wasting time waiting for those who want to bicker endlessly (looking at you too, Toronto). No consensus? No funding.

The Hurontario-Main corridor study started in 2007, as a collaboration between Mississauga and Brampton. Mississauga was planning just Hurontario but it became Hurontario-Main because at Brampton's request, because Brampton wanted LRT too. Brampton had input from the very beginning, 8 years to have its say, and suddenly now it doesn't want this LRT? You can see why the money will likely be funneled somewhere else and the province will just ignore Brampton and not waste any more time.

Brampton's loss is another municipality's gain!

Exactly how historic is downtown Brampton? For something that is designated a "heritage site", they don't exactly take good care of it.

Back