Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

A more courageous government would declare an absolute moratorium on any new development that pushes the limits of the urbanised GTA even one block further into farmland or green fields....in favour of in fill and intensification in existing urban areas, like Mississauga and Vaughan.

- Paul

^its not that simple. You can't just not build single family dwellings. It would also make it the most radical development plan on the planet. What they should be doing is mandating higher densities in greenfield development. Densities have gone up since 2006 and are likely the highest in NA, but are still not enough.

One thing I like about Hurontario line is that once it is built, Mississauga's entire character will change. I think the city and its residents would stop looking at themselves as a suburb or bedroom community and start acting as an actual city with an urban downtown core.

Maybe only then with a shift of mentality will Mississauga begin taking charge of its future like Markham, Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo seem to be doing. Or perhaps I am too much of an idealist. :)

^its not that simple. You can't just not build single family dwellings. It would also make it the most radical development plan on the planet. What they should be doing is mandating higher densities in greenfield development. Densities have gone up since 2006 and are likely the highest in NA, but are still not enough.

I probably should have turned my statement inside out and made it a question: What level of intensification would push a GTA suburb (Mississauga being one, but there are others) to the point where transportation needs on its most-heavily travelled thoroughfares would justify an LRT or better? And if that level of intensification were achieved, how much urban sprawl would that prevent?

My point being - if, at the end of the day, Mississauga isn't going to intensify sufficiently to make the case that it needs transit infrastructure, then let's accept that. Personally I suspect the reverse is true: If the burbs intensified (which does not mean an end to single-family subdivisions) sufficiently, it would suck development away from the periphery, and the urban footprint might even be smaller.

Call it the "Black Hole Theory of Urban Development in the GTA". (Yeah, I just saw the Hawking movie)

- Paul

One thing I like about Hurontario line is that once it is built, Mississauga's entire character will change. I think the city and its residents would stop looking at themselves as a suburb or bedroom community and start acting as an actual city with an urban downtown core.

Maybe only then with a shift of mentality will Mississauga begin taking charge of its future like Markham, Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo seem to be doing. Or perhaps I am too much of an idealist. :)

I agree with this. I think because its so close to Toronto it easily becomes just a suburb. I think celebration square has helped quite a bit and the LRT will help immensely. Instead of having to go to Toronto for activities why cant Mississauga become its own city with its own night life and its own job core.

I agree with this. I think because its so close to Toronto it easily becomes just a suburb. I think celebration square has helped quite a bit and the LRT will help immensely. Instead of having to go to Toronto for activities why cant Mississauga become its own city with its own night life and its own job core.

and you think this LRT will do that?

A more courageous government would declare an absolute moratorium on any new development that pushes the limits of the urbanised GTA even one block further into farmland or green fields....in favour of in fill and intensification in existing urban areas, like Mississauga and Vaughan.

- Paul

The Ontario Greenbelt Plan (http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page189.aspx) and the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe (https://www.placestogrow.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=14) are the most progressive legislation in North America, if not the world, in this regard. Cities are required by law to have a certain amount of infill development, and any expansions to existing urban boundaries need to be approved by the Province. The majority of low-density development currently going on inside the Greenbelt (e.g. Milton, Brampton, Pickering) is on land that was approved for development prior to the Greenbelt legislation coming into effect.

If Mississauga and Brampton are going to meet their 2031 infill development targets they need substantial improvements in public transit, because the roads are already at gridlock conditions. The Hurontario LRT is intended to provide the opportunity for substantial new infill development.

Also see: http://lrt-mississauga.brampton.ca/.../Master-Plan/hurontario_MP_Part2_Chapter7.pdf

Last edited:
You got a bit carried away there. Mississaugans would be 2km away from the airport at the corporate centre. I doubt they would travel an extra 8km, just so they could take the 8km (and $20) ride to Pearson.
Maybe not, and there probably will be airport buses from nearby intermediate SmartTrack stations.

But it is not $19 unless you board at Union. The price is only a few dollars on UPX if transfer at Mt. Dennis.

Maybe not, and there probably will be airport buses from nearby intermediate SmartTrack stations.

But it is not $19 unless you board at Union. The price is only a few dollars on UPX if transfer at Mt. Dennis.

Not surprisingly (since it does not exist yet) Metrolinx has not gotten around to establishing the fares that wil (or may be) charged on the UPe from Mt. Dennis. They have said a one way fare from Weston to Pearson is $11.40 and from Bloor it would be $15.20 (both are Presto fares...higher without). Given its positioning between those station (when it is built) Mt. Dennis may have a one way Presto fare in between those figures....say $13.30....but who knows. That may, also, fit your definition of "only a few dollars" too....only you know that.

It does seem to be more than just a few dollars

Either way, having both Hurontario+SmartTrack Square One certainly would win over a lot of Mississauga votes at some future election.

^I happen to be of the opinion that our transit mess will continue until we actually base transit decisions on something other than how many votes it will win in specific ridings. There has to be a far more accurate measure of what should be built than "we can get that seat if we spend a couple of $B"

Not surprisingly (since it does not exist yet) Metrolinx has not gotten around to establishing the fares that wil (or may be) charged on the UPe from Mt. Dennis. They have said a one way fare from Weston to Pearson is $11.40 and from Bloor it would be $15.20 (both are Presto fares...higher without). Given its positioning between those station (when it is built) Mt. Dennis may have a one way Presto fare in between those figures....say $13.30....but who knows. That may, also, fit your definition of "only a few dollars" too....only you know that.

The UPX is designed for primarily tourists and business people arriving in Toronto and needing to get to downtown hotels. A secondary function is to allow Torontonians who live downtown to travel to the airport to catch flights. A tertiary function is to allow airport area employees who happen to live downtown or near Bloor or Weston, to get to work. People going between any part of the GTA other than downtown and the airport are not expected to use the UPX, they will use the TTC, GO or taxis, as they do today.

Personally, I expect poor usage of the Bloor and Weston UPX stations to eventually lead to their closure and the UPX will become a true express service.

The UPX is designed for primarily tourists and business people arriving in Toronto and needing to get to downtown hotels. A secondary function is to allow Torontonians who live downtown to travel to the airport to catch flights. A tertiary function is to allow airport area employees who happen to live downtown or near Bloor or Weston, to get to work. People going between any part of the GTA other than downtown and the airport are not expected to use the UPX, they will use the TTC, GO or taxis, as they do today.

Personally, I expect poor usage of the Bloor and Weston UPX stations to eventually lead to their closure and the UPX will become a true express service.

I would agree with you on Weston.....but I think Bloor will get ridership (if you live near Bloor-Danforth east of this station it would be a fairly efficient way to the airport to jump on the subway to Dundas West and then get on the UPe....if the speed/comfort pickup is big enough it may seriously dent the airport Rocket ridership) and the same may become true of Mt. Dennis with the Crosstown feeding in....I just can't see any natural feeder or reason for the Weston stop at all.

Back