News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Toronto Humane Society officials arrested, charged with cruelty to animals

What could be next, dog eating? Monkey brain feast?

It is such taboo among Asians...
I would be shocked if Toronto Police found evidence of eaten animal remains... Trow and his cronies have accomplished that no Westerners would do: eating animals that are recognized solely as "pets".

i was a proud annual donator of THS ... no more with the cruelty and stories of diversion of funds.

Ingrid Newkirk must be proud secretly in hearing this story. Letting cats & dogs suffer, while lying through its false public images. Like Al Qaeda to Bush, PETA is to Trow & Co. PETA IS A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION

here's something to ponder:

is it good morality to euthanize a sick dieing animal that does not want to die?

I think I go against the grain on this one as I have ignored veterinarians advice to euthanize on atleast a couple of occassions and taken my sick cats home to die in their own time in the comfortable surroundings of home.

On the other hand I do believe in the right of humans to choose euthanasia to end their own lives or those of loved ones who cannot speak for themselves.

This news is a terrible blow to the THS. Its a tough job to begin with, overburdened and under staffed the quality of care for the animals is likely to be lacking. As mentioned above, a story line seems to be emerging that the SPCA differed in its attitude towards euthanizing animals and so perhaps there is some power struggle at some level here. There seems to be differing stories even amongst volunteers at the THS. Hopefully more details will emerge and we should resist jumping to a guilty verdict immediately. The reality is that the animals there still need to be cared for on a daily basis and I hope this disruption doesnt make things worse...

It is sad that the Humane society itself mistreat the animals, but think about why such an organization has to exist in first place: because people do not take care of the animals. Isn't that is sad too? Westerners look down on Asians for eating dogs, but the West is really not that different after all.

And of course if you are not a vegetarian or a vegan then you yourself are contributing to the cruelty of animals on a daily basis, though I guess in the case of the Humane Society the cruelty was not only even more extreme but also totally pointless and goes against what they stand for in the first place, not to mention abusing the trust of the public. But still, I think there is some hypocrisy here...

The guy is guilty of "not killing" the sick animals?

What a tough job he has, taking care of animals that no one cares about. Killing a couple of sick ones a day, but alas, a hopeless battle when more and more animals come flood the cages every day. And now being criticized of unjust treatment toward the animals on death row.

I think the Humane society should be the "owners" of the animals there and should have the final say in when to euthanize. If I saw a friend with a terminally sick pet, it's not my place to demand the friend destroy the pet.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as some people on here want to believe. A lot of it is politics with the SPCA and Humane Societies having different views and in conflict/competition with each other. Do we know the whole truth right now? Probably not. I bet there is a lot we do not know, so people should stop making quick judgements and wait to uncover the truth. This is political and in politics, we all know, the truth takes a long time to come out, if it ever does.

Taking care of unwanted animals, with little money, is a difficult job.

The Toronto Humane Society will use donor money to pay the legal costs of the four senior managers charged Thursday with criminal offences, the Star has learned. (front page, November 28, 2009)

I love animals, but anyone found guilty better repay before I give another nickel to the THS.

I might as well jump in here. I know people on both sides (Toronto Humane Society and OSPCA) and yes, there is a lot of politics going on here -- the two organizations have been in a "power struggle" for years. One thing I would add is that so far we have not heard the Toronto Humane Society side of the story, I would wait to judge until both sides have had their say.

I have personally spoken with people from various organizations in the "animal rescue" movement, and the OSPCA does have a longstanding reputation for euthanizing animals at the drop of a hat, even in cases where the animal could be readily restored to health, whereas the Toronto Humane Society is known for the opposite. Personally, I think that the best policy would be in the middle, by making every reasonable effort to restore an animal's health, but euthanizing them if the animal could not be restored to a pain-free condition.

Mongo, I agree. At some point it becomes obvious if quality of life cannot be restored, but some groups give up far too quickly on animals. I think there should be some sort of criteria that sets out whether an animal should be euthanized, but what that should entail, I'm not entirely sure.

I have a younger cousin who volunteers at THS. She told me that she felt absolutely gutted at the news and feels betrayed by an organization she put her heart and precious time into. I can't imagine how the big donors are feeling, let alone B-level Canadian celebrities from Air Farce and Canada AM who took 10 minutes out of their precious time to film heart-tugging tv spots.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as some people on here want to believe. A lot of it is politics with the SPCA and Humane Societies having different views and in conflict/competition with each other.

Yup. The situation is very political. Instead of the police being called, it was the media. That alone should tell you something. The arrests looked like a tv-set.

And of course if you are not a vegetarian or a vegan then you yourself are contributing to the cruelty of animals on a daily basis,

I hate to digress and open up a can of worms, but I have to contest this rather broad statement. Killing animals per se for food consumption does not constitute cruelty. There certainly are ethical methods of raising and slaughtering livestock, and I think there's an increasing public awareness of the availability of sources for meat from ethically-minded farmers (as well as a growing demand for the so-called "nasty bits" of the animal that would otherwise be wasted). A better argument against meat consumption can be raised from the standpoint of land and resource sustainability, but that is a whole other matter.

Back