Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

Maybe UrbanDreamer should look at 905,... I noticed that as Markham, Vaughan, Brampton and other 905 areas try to build their own downtown area as they dream about their own urban centres,... they often use images of our North York City Centre as a prime example of the type of urban core that they want to build.

So obviously,... UrbanDreamer is dreaming without any sense of reality. ;p

While all the NYCC folks are patting themselves on the back,... with the fast growth in NYCC, we do have lots of growing pains,... including lack of local school capacity forcing some kids to be bused out, the worst traffic congestion in GTA - which has worst in North America, lack of subway capacity on Yonge line, etc,... A solution to the Yonge-401 interchange should be coming soon,.... an off-road multi-use trail might also be in the works.

Last edited:
I've been living in the area for the past 9 years. The proximity to everything is one of it's main attractions for me.

I think this area is going to be hard hit as the real estate correction starts to settle in. There is a lot of new money in the area buying nice cars and overpriced condos that aren't big enough for growing families. The side streets are nicely lined with mature trees so you could almost be lulled into thinking it will be as solid as the Beaches or High Park but when you start to get to know the people you`ll understand this area is built on wobbly foundations.

I was thinking that Whole Foods made a mistake by picking Hullmark. The people around here "own" expensive assets.. but they are cash poor. Giving it some more thought and I realise the clientele just south of the 401 will probably be willing to drive up and keep Whole Foods in business. T&T would have done really well if it stayed in across the road.

Traffic is stupid in the area. It`s one of the few areas in the entire city sitting on two intersecting subway lines. Yet in the morning the traffic going from Avondale to Yonge is backed all the way up. The intersection of Avondale and Harrison Gardens as well as Glendora and Tradewind are basically a giant game of chicken.

It`s tough with such a diverse multicultural crowd but no one dominant culture in the area. You have a lot of mini communities forming that really don`t appear to be interacting with each other. It`s a problem we have in many parts of the GTA so by no means unique to NYCC.

That said if you enjoy being able to walk to just about everything you need but want a quieter place to live than some parts of downtown, NYCC is quite a good place to live.

I really like NYC. It's so far from downtown, yet Yonge through the area is like a slice of downtown. It has great architecture in its metropolitan built form, it's walkable, it has history, it has a great public square (which many of Toronto's coolest neighbourhoods lack) and it has a lot of shopping. Yonge in North York Centre is a lot like Dundas in the Junction--pleasantly urban as the centre of a former city. I think that NYC will mature as one of the city's most interesting neighbourhoods.

I really like NYC. It's so far from downtown, yet Yonge through the area is like a slice of downtown. It has great architecture in its metropolitan built form, it's walkable, it has history, it has a great public square (which many of Toronto's coolest neighbourhoods lack) and it has a lot of shopping. Yonge in North York Centre is a lot like Dundas in the Junction--pleasantly urban as the centre of a former city. I think that NYC will mature as one of the city's most interesting neighbourhoods.

Where is this great architecture that you speak of?

are you kidding me? You may want to explain why you're even questioning this before people start providing the obvious answers.

**** your opinion! your not a Torontonian unless you live south of bloor. It's not walkable because the starbucks here is a 30 feet closer walk to my condo then yours

/s

Mel Lastmen Square is great ... in many ways nicer then nathan phillips square (referring to the square it self here), so it has that going for it. They have events in the square quite often as well (same at NPS though).

are you kidding me? You may want to explain why you're even questioning this before people start providing the obvious answers.

I like crossing the street without having to plan a journey around it.

NYCC is obviously better than most other Canadian suburbs, but it's still a major failure in terms of walkability for world standards. The street design obviously prioritises moving cars at the fastest possible speed over every other consideration. All pedestrian crossings are after-thoughts at intersections too large to be uncontrolled.

Try getting to the businesses across the street from here:

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=43.77102...Fvn081HdpE5opqWLENLDkg&cbp=12,335.12,,1,-1.06

Or here:

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=43.76532...B_jzU26tD0tLMCZGeId0Bw&cbp=12,180.57,,0,-0.26

Sure you can take your life into your own hands and jay-walk, but that does not a walkable street make.

The whole area is also cut off from all the neighbourhoods south of it by the 401, which is as big a barrier to pedestrians as I've ever seen anywhere.

The fact even bike advocates travel predominantly on the sidewalks tells you all you need to know about the nature of traffic in this area, really.

Where is this great architecture that you speak of?

The postmodern office towers are quite nice like the Nestle Canada Building and 5140 Yonge Street. North York's former city hall has a great terraced interior.

And how is it walkable?

There's a huge concentration of businesses and residences in a compact area with buildings built right up to the sidewalks. Yonge Street has a median in some areas to help people cross midblock. Some buildings have arcades that let you walk from Yonge to one of the side streets east or west of Yonge.

Is Tridel Hullmark Centre behind schedule? Everything was originally supposed to be finished by this Fall.

Podium & South Tower are close to completion in a few more months.

North Tower looks way behind,... currently finished 12 office floor and first 2 residential condo floors on top,... still have 30 more condo floors to go. One condo floor per week cement pouring,... and we'll looking at new year. Then add a few months for window, balconies, interiors, etc,... then we're looking at March-April 2014 completion date.

The Sheppard-Yonge south entrance-exit (Poyntz) on the east side of Yonge will be closed from July 2nd to October 2013. So that it can be rebuilt to connect to the south tower of Tridel Hullmark Centre. So it seems like the south tower of Hullmark Centre will be open in October,...

The west side entrance-exit will remain during this time.

The north tower is behind schedule,... it's subway entrance will connect to the upper Sheppard-Yonge station on the eastbound platform,... where signs say those entrance-exits will be finished in "early 2014"

IMG_1768.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
The former entrance to the subway was demolished today; here is the view from above:

IMG0098A.jpg

and from below:

IMG0100A.jpg

Attachments

• IMG0098A.jpg
    IMG0098A.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 786
  • IMG0100A.jpg
    IMG0100A.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 761
Last edited:

Back