Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

I for one wish there were more companies with offices at NYCC rather than places like Markham or Mississauga.

I know of one tech company who's offices were at NYCC but moved downtown, probably because most of the young talent lives down there, and probably because of the GO Train advantage.

My personal impression is that Yonge & Eg is doing quite well from an office perspective. Several tech companies like Facebook for example have their offices here. It's a really good thing for the vitality of the neighbourhood. During lunch, the restaurants serve workers who work here & students. During dinner or on weekends, they serve people who live here. So there are customers all day every day.

Definitely not as successful as the southern Spadina area though.

I for one wish there were more companies with offices at NYCC rather than places like Markham or Mississauga.

I know of one tech company who's offices were at NYCC but moved downtown, probably because most of the young talent lives down there, and probably because of the GO Train advantage.

My personal impression is that Yonge & Eg is doing quite well from an office perspective. Several tech companies like Facebook for example have their offices here. It's a really good thing for the vitality of the neighbourhood. During lunch, the restaurants serve workers who work here & students. During dinner or on weekends, they serve people who live here. So there are customers all day every day.

Definitely not as successful as the southern Spadina area though.

Several tech companies have also recently left Y&E for the core, linkedin, FCB Toronto (media firm) : - ) I believe facebook is contemplating moving as well but I could be wrong ... but again all to the core, not the 905, so that's not a bad thing.

Y&E actually has a lot less office space than NYCC ! The vitality at lunch time is more a function of the neighborhood feel in comparison to NYCC, not the amount of office space. Also, this is a very very non-objective comment; I used to live NYCC though; I find folks in NYCC (and all the houses nearby) tend to walk much much less outside ... not sure why, whereas the opposite is true at Y&E where lot the retail is well suited to the local area. There is also much much much more parkland / ravines close-by, but honestly Y&E greater area in general probably has an unfair advantage compared to most of the city ... but that probably doesn't contribute to more folks walking around.

Another factor; I think a lot of folks who live in Y&E work somewhere to the south and hence always commute (though I'm an exception) but in NYCC this isn't true, many many folks actually work outside the 416 (anre probably drive) .. all these factors together ..

Last edited:
Several tech companies have also recently left Y&E for the core, linkedin, FCB Toronto (media firm) : - ) I believe facebook is contemplating moving as well but I could be wrong ... but again all to the core, not the 905, so that's not a bad thing.

Y&E actually has a lot less office space than NYCC ! The vitality at lunch time is more a function of the neighborhood feel in comparison to NYCC, not the amount of office space. Also, this is a very very non-objective comment; I used to live NYCC though; I find folks in NYCC (and all the houses nearby) tend to walk much much less outside ... not sure why, whereas the opposite is true at Y&E where lot the retail is well suited to the local area. There is also much much much more parkland / ravines close-by, but honestly Y&E greater area in general probably has an unfair advantage compared to most of the city ... but that probably doesn't contribute to more folks walking around.

Another factor; I think a lot of folks who live in Y&E work somewhere to the south and hence always commute (though I'm an exception) but in NYCC this isn't true, many many folks actually work outside the 416 (anre probably drive) .. all these factors together ..

Yeah I'm alright with offices in the core, but I do hope companies continue to have offices at Yonge & Eg, and also NYCC. Anywhere transit accessible is a good thing to me. I'd be fine with places like Don Mills & Eglinton or Downsview or Vaughan near the (future) transit lines as well.

Yes, you're probably right about the amount of walking. I think part of it is some sort of mentality or cultural thing. For example, this afternoon, I had no problem walking around outside. But others seemed to not want to be outside at all since it's snowing. Or some people seem to think a 10 min walk to go for lunch is a "long walk".

It's probably also that there are more walkable "main streets" in midtown than North York. NYCC has Yonge from Finch to Sheppard. Midtown had Yonge from Lawrence down to Bloor, but also Eglinton West of Yonge, Bayview, Avenue, Mt Pleasant.

Yeah, definitely a lot of NYCC people driving to work to places like Markham, but lots take the subway downtown as well I'm sure.

Yeah I'm alright with offices in the core, but I do hope companies continue to have offices at Yonge & Eg, and also NYCC. Anywhere transit accessible is a good thing to me. I'd be fine with places like Don Mills & Eglinton or Downsview or Vaughan near the (future) transit lines as well.

Yes, you're probably right about the amount of walking. I think part of it is some sort of mentality or cultural thing. For example, this afternoon, I had no problem walking around outside. But others seemed to not want to be outside at all since it's snowing. Or some people seem to think a 10 min walk to go for lunch is a "long walk".

It's probably also that there are more walkable "main streets" in midtown than North York. NYCC has Yonge from Finch to Sheppard. Midtown had Yonge from Lawrence down to Bloor, but also Eglinton West of Yonge, Bayview, Avenue, Mt Pleasant.

Yeah, definitely a lot of NYCC people driving to work to places like Markham, but lots take the subway downtown as well I'm sure.

I agree with you I believe its partly a cultural thing as you cite ! I mean Yonge is fairly walk able, and its not like Eglinton west it self is just in the sense there's really no retail or anything of interest once you get a block or two west or east of Yonge ... of course on the west side once you hit Avenue its a different and very walk able retail lined area.

In terms of offices, I would like to see the rest of the 416 compete well against the rest of the 905, or the inner 905 at the very least, I'd love to see a few developments in the outer 416 as well (just like we see in various non-transit friendly areas of the 905), this is what has really been missing for the last 20 years or so. But to honest, I don't see it happening, the 905 areas where you see development are just that much more attractive now, then the ex non-subway office hubs in Toronto (e.g. Don Mills - Eglinton / Sheppard - 404 / SCC / many parts of the west end / ...).

Anyway back to NYCC I really hope the new condo developments on the west side north of empress will increase the amount of people we see walking around !

If GibsonSquare (northwest corner of Yonge&ParkHome/Empress) was an twin office tower instead of twin tower 42 storey condo, we'd see 5 times as many people in those buildings and they would all have to go in at 9am and out at 5pm,... that's a whole lot of walkers!

The question is how does areas within Toronto like NYCC, STC, Yonge&Eglinton get more office building built. Yes, there's an issue of taxation rate inequality between office VS residential. And city councillors keep residential property tax rates relatively low to aplease their voters. But that turns out to be a double edge sword because to raise property tax revenue the city have used urban intensification to build upward along some arterial roads and urban hubs to increase tax revenue by increasing the total number of residential properties.

The problem is in the long run, instead of creating urban hubs as the province encourages - city policy with taxation is really creating vertical sleeping community hubs as we see in NYCC where there's been 60 new condo towers built and only 1 complete office tower since amalgamation in 1998. In the long run, all these urban growth centre hubs like NYCC, STC, Yonge&Eglinton, Islington&Bloor, etc,... well become vertical sleeping communities with very minimal office spaces and most offices towers will be downtown,... meaning more folks will be commuting long distances from one end of the city to downtown for work,... which places a large burden on our roadways and transit system.

As for walkability NYCC VS Yonge&Eglinton,... there's quite a bit of NYCC condo folks walking along Yonge Street for evening stroll... weather permitting. NYCC tends to be more multicultural than Yonge&Eglinton,... thus NYCC tends to have more ethnic type stores in closer clusters,... which doesn't exactly encourages people not of that ethnicity into those areas since everything looks foreign and unfamilar to them. Yonge&Eglinton doesn't have these cluster of ethnic stores and isn't as multicultural. Also, the houses in Yonge&Eglinton are on smaller lots (generally 20-25 feet frontage) and thus have higher density than the houses in NYCC which are mostly on 50 feet frontage lots. With higher density houses in Yonge&Eglinton, more people are there to actually walk into their neighbourhoods,... in NYCC with bigger lots people get plenty of fresh air in their own backyards.

Anyways,... before the mods warn me again about going off topic,... back to HullmarkCentre,... or at least the WholeFoodsMarket at HullmarkCentre,... which has been opened almost 2 months now and have settled down from the opening newness buzz. You're right, it's generally not busy at all,... almost as dead as the former Miracle/Dominion/Metro on that site. They're busier on weekends when more families from outside the area do their shopping there,... but the new WholeFoodsMarket at Bayview between Eglinton & Lawrence will take a bite out of that when they open next Fall. Most of my neighbours find it too expensive, and like me will only shop there for little items that we missed on our regular grocery shopping unexpectedly ran out of,... most people walking out of the WholeFoodsMarket only carry about half a bag of groceries.

Personally, I think the WholeFoodsMarket marketing folks are doing a terrible job. They have large billboards on Yonge Street near the WholesFoodMarket,... but people driving by will see the store anyways and they're less likely to stop and shop. The whole idea of this Sheppard & Yonge WholeFoodsMarket store is to get a WholeFoodsMarket store right on the subway line and that's where the huge volume of people are, and here at Sheppard-Yonge subway interchange station where large volumes of people are getting off and on subway trains on their way home, it's rather painless for TTC metropass holders to drop into WholeFoodsMarket to pick up a few items on their way home. WholeFoodsMarket need to advertise on those subway ads at the Sheppard-Yonge subway station to get TTC subway users in their doors! Especially useful in this cold winter weather as both HullmarkCentre north and south subway entrances has direct access to HullmarkCentre parking level (P1 for south and P2 for north subway entrances) where there's access to WholeFoodsMarket without ever going outside - again issue of signage. BTW, HullmarkCentre north TTC subway entrance to Sheppard eastbound platform should open at end of this month or early December.

The WholeFoodsMarket cafe tends to be busier at lunch due to the office crowds.

Also, this is a very very non-objective comment; I used to live NYCC though; I find folks in NYCC (and all the houses nearby) tend to walk much much less outside ... not sure why, whereas the opposite is true at Y&E where lot the retail is well suited to the local area.
I used to work at Yonge/Dundas and recently got a new job in NYCC. To be honest, I think people walk less in NYCC because it just isn't pleasant to walk up there. Yonge Street is 7 lanes wide in NYCC with traffic moving at 70km/h, which does not make for a pleasant experience. Also, it takes forever to cross the street at a light since traffic is prioritized for Yonge Street and you usually need to wait a couple of minutes before you can cross the 7 lanes of road with aggressive drivers trying to make turns. Lastly, the sidewalks themselves are not in very good shape. The sidewalks in front of Empress Walk look like patchwork. When I worked downtown I'd often walk around at lunch for pleasure but in NYCC I usually just grab my lunch and head back inside because of the unpleasant pedestrian experience.

Most of my neighbours find it too expensive, and like me will only shop there for little items that we missed on our regular grocery shopping unexpectedly ran out of,... most people walking out of the WholeFoodsMarket only carry about half a bag of groceries.

I wonder if this is indicative of a more urban shopping experience, where people buy fresh each day and are mostly on foot. We usually only pick up a bag, but we in every few days or so. If we went once a week, we would probably be carrying 3-4 bags. Plus, I think their market demographic skews towards the well-to-do, highly-educated, yoga-pant wearing crowd who are willing to pay more for "healthy" and "ethical" choices, while a large part of the demographic here is probably more interested in bottom-line price. While I am happy that WF is here, I really think they would do better around Y/E area.

The whole idea of this Sheppard & Yonge WholeFoodsMarket store is to get a WholeFoodsMarket store right on the subway line ...Especially useful in this cold winter weather as both HullmarkCentre north and south subway entrances has direct access to HullmarkCentre parking level...without ever going outside - again issue of signage. BTW, HullmarkCentre north TTC subway entrance to Sheppard eastbound platform should open at end of this month or early December.

We got off the train at Sheppard last weekend and saw no signage regarding WF at all. Luckily, we knew which direction to go in as we live in this area, but any signs we saw only mentioned Hullmark, and we ended up exiting outside around the corner.

To be honest, I think people walk less in NYCC because it just isn't pleasant to walk up there...it takes forever to cross the street at a light...with aggressive drivers trying to make turns. Lastly, the sidewalks themselves are not in very good shape.

^ This. You have to be so alert, and so many times I've seen cars turning into crosswalks filled with pedestrians, just barely missing folks trying to cross. There are loud trucks, lots of construction noise/dirt, and it is generally unpleasant. Much better on Beecroft and Doris, but pedestrians in this area are definitely getting the short-end for enjoying Yonge Street as compared to residents of midtown (yes, I think of St Clair to Lawrence as "midtown" -- sue me :)).

I wonder if this is indicative of a more urban shopping experience, where people buy fresh each day and are mostly on foot. We usually only pick up a bag, but we in every few days or so. If we went once a week, we would probably be carrying 3-4 bags. Plus, I think their market demographic skews towards the well-to-do, highly-educated, yoga-pant wearing crowd who are willing to pay more for "healthy" and "ethical" choices, while a large part of the demographic here is probably more interested in bottom-line price. While I am happy that WF is here, I really think they would do better around Y/E area.

We got off the train at Sheppard last weekend and saw no signage regarding WF at all. Luckily, we knew which direction to go in as we live in this area, but any signs we saw only mentioned Hullmark, and we ended up exiting outside around the corner.

^ This. You have to be so alert, and so many times I've seen cars turning into crosswalks filled with pedestrians, just barely missing folks trying to cross. There are loud trucks, lots of construction noise/dirt, and it is generally unpleasant. Much better on Beecroft and Doris, but pedestrians in this area are definitely getting the short-end for enjoying Yonge Street as compared to residents of midtown (yes, I think of St Clair to Lawrence as "midtown" -- sue me :)).

There'll be a Whole Foods opening near Bayview & Eglinton, it's under construction now.

That happened to me. I was walking across Yonge & Sheppard, I had the walk signal of course, and a car turned right into me. It's like they couldn't conceive of the possibility that someone was walking there. That being said, I'd assume it's getting better with the new buildings there increasing pedestrian traffic.

NYCC is still the most walkable place in North York though, right?

One thing I've noticed is that the trees are in the median of the road, rather than next to the sidewalk. This seemed strange to me since I'd always assumed trees are to provide shade for pedestrians on the sidewalk, and act as a buffer between the sidewalk and cars.

I find myself the opposite. I'm a Whole Foods convert. They are the only place that sells deli cold cuts without preservatives. While I'm there, I also pick up fresh bread and organic fruit that happens to be on sale. Price is not a huge concern when it comes to avoiding excessive preservatives. I find I go to Loblaws on Empress less often.

If GibsonSquare (northwest corner of Yonge&ParkHome/Empress) was an twin office tower instead of twin tower 42 storey condo, we'd see 5 times as many people in those buildings and they would all have to go in at 9am and out at 5pm,... that's a whole lot of walkers!

The question is how does areas within Toronto like NYCC, STC, Yonge&Eglinton get more office building built. Yes, there's an issue of taxation rate inequality between office VS residential. And city councillors keep residential property tax rates relatively low to aplease their voters. But that turns out to be a double edge sword because to raise property tax revenue the city have used urban intensification to build upward along some arterial roads and urban hubs to increase tax revenue by increasing the total number of residential properties.

The problem is in the long run, instead of creating urban hubs as the province encourages - city policy with taxation is really creating vertical sleeping community hubs as we see in NYCC where there's been 60 new condo towers built and only 1 complete office tower since amalgamation in 1998. In the long run, all these urban growth centre hubs like NYCC, STC, Yonge&Eglinton, Islington&Bloor, etc,... well become vertical sleeping communities with very minimal office spaces and most offices towers will be downtown,... meaning more folks will be commuting long distances from one end of the city to downtown for work,... which places a large burden on our roadways and transit system.

As for walkability NYCC VS Yonge&Eglinton,... there's quite a bit of NYCC condo folks walking along Yonge Street for evening stroll... weather permitting. NYCC tends to be more multicultural than Yonge&Eglinton,... thus NYCC tends to have more ethnic type stores in closer clusters,... which doesn't exactly encourages people not of that ethnicity into those areas since everything looks foreign and unfamilar to them. Yonge&Eglinton doesn't have these cluster of ethnic stores and isn't as multicultural. Also, the houses in Yonge&Eglinton are on smaller lots (generally 20-25 feet frontage) and thus have higher density than the houses in NYCC which are mostly on 50 feet frontage lots. With higher density houses in Yonge&Eglinton, more people are there to actually walk into their neighbourhoods,... in NYCC with bigger lots people get plenty of fresh air in their own backyards.

Anyways,... before the mods warn me again about going off topic,... back to HullmarkCentre,... or at least the WholeFoodsMarket at HullmarkCentre,... which has been opened almost 2 months now and have settled down from the opening newness buzz. You're right, it's generally not busy at all,... almost as dead as the former Miracle/Dominion/Metro on that site. They're busier on weekends when more families from outside the area do their shopping there,... but the new WholeFoodsMarket at Bayview between Eglinton & Lawrence will take a bite out of that when they open next Fall. Most of my neighbours find it too expensive, and like me will only shop there for little items that we missed on our regular grocery shopping unexpectedly ran out of,... most people walking out of the WholeFoodsMarket only carry about half a bag of groceries.

Personally, I think the WholeFoodsMarket marketing folks are doing a terrible job. They have large billboards on Yonge Street near the WholesFoodMarket,... but people driving by will see the store anyways and they're less likely to stop and shop. The whole idea of this Sheppard & Yonge WholeFoodsMarket store is to get a WholeFoodsMarket store right on the subway line and that's where the huge volume of people are, and here at Sheppard-Yonge subway interchange station where large volumes of people are getting off and on subway trains on their way home, it's rather painless for TTC metropass holders to drop into WholeFoodsMarket to pick up a few items on their way home. WholeFoodsMarket need to advertise on those subway ads at the Sheppard-Yonge subway station to get TTC subway users in their doors! Especially useful in this cold winter weather as both HullmarkCentre north and south subway entrances has direct access to HullmarkCentre parking level (P1 for south and P2 for north subway entrances) where there's access to WholeFoodsMarket without ever going outside - again issue of signage. BTW, HullmarkCentre north TTC subway entrance to Sheppard eastbound platform should open at end of this month or early December.

The WholeFoodsMarket cafe tends to be busier at lunch due to the office crowds.

In terms of the office space debate; Well, another side of things is: NYCC has ~ 8-10 million square feet, its the largest office node (in this small of an area) outside of the core, maybe that's sufficient as is ? With the solution being to develop many more such concentrated office nodes, this may be happening at VCC and Downtown Markham, both of which when built out will probably be 5-10. Add to that a high concentration of residential.

Honestly, there are many 'cores' around world with much more office space than Toronto (obviously .. ; ) ..) so I'd personally like to see the amount of office space downtown keep growing at a pace it is today ... keep in mind 'downtown' is a vague term, I don't simply mean the core, but also downtown east / west markets (King east / west ...), I think that's very healthy. I agree its contingent on continually improving transit downtown but, that's fine, it should happen. By far and large getting downtown is still the 'easiest' thing to do by transit from anywhere in the GTA in comparison to other office nodes, and that will always be the case, if not increasingly so with improved go and what not .. so keep the offices coming downtown.

I think there is a place for other smaller nodes throughout the GTA but I'd keep them fairly small as no matter what happens at the end of the day transit to them will always just be OK ... this is the case anywhere in the world too, you can only really have a hub or two where all transit lines meet / converge. So its important to keep these other areas smaller, with good connections to the core.

Another thing is I don't think we'll ever solve the 'get people to work where they live' ... so the whole notion of creating self enclosed communities just does not work.

In terms of the office space debate; Well, another side of things is: NYCC has ~ 8-10 million square feet, its the largest office node (in this small of an area) outside of the core, maybe that's sufficient as is ? With the solution being to develop many more such concentrated office nodes, this may be happening at VCC and Downtown Markham, both of which when built out will probably be 5-10. Add to that a high concentration of residential.

Honestly, there are many 'cores' around world with much more office space than Toronto (obviously .. ; ) ..) so I'd personally like to see the amount of office space downtown keep growing at a pace it is today ... keep in mind 'downtown' is a vague term, I don't simply mean the core, but also downtown east / west markets (King east / west ...), I think that's very healthy. I agree its contingent on continually improving transit downtown but, that's fine, it should happen. By far and large getting downtown is still the 'easiest' thing to do by transit from anywhere in the GTA in comparison to other office nodes, and that will always be the case, if not increasingly so with improved go and what not .. so keep the offices coming downtown.

I think there is a place for other smaller nodes throughout the GTA but I'd keep them fairly small as no matter what happens at the end of the day transit to them will always just be OK ... this is the case anywhere in the world too, you can only really have a hub or two where all transit lines meet / converge. So its important to keep these other areas smaller, with good connections to the core.

Another thing is I don't think we'll ever solve the 'get people to work where they live' ... so the whole notion of creating self enclosed communities just does not work.

I like when offices are downtown, with a huge caveat: when they are close to a subway. I wouldn't mind commuting down to the financial core area or near by, but a place like Liberty Village for example is very popular for jobs, yet it takes quite a long time for someone to get to from the subway.

Say you live at NYCC, Yonge & Eg, Bloor West Village or along the Danforth and are commuting somewhere by TTC. I'd much rather work say at King & University near St Andrew station than at King & Dufferin where it takes an additional streetcar or bus ride after getting off the subway.

To me, it's not necessarily about getting people to live close to work, but to get both work and home to be on a reliable transit line. Having offices near a subway like at NYCC accomplishes that.

Y&E actually has a lot less office space than NYCC !

But then NYCC extends from the 401 to Finch. If you counted Y&E as extending to St. Clair (geographically about the same area) then you'd probably have a different story.

But then NYCC extends from the 401 to Finch. If you counted Y&E as extending to St. Clair (geographically about the same area) then you'd probably have a different story.

Nope if you combine the two its about the same, data from 2014 regarding total inventory.

North Yonge

St. Clair / Yonge

Eglinton / Yonge

As an FYI Yonge and Bloor on its own is ~ 8 million, so very close to NYCC.

Some #s to care.
Downtown (this includes downtown east / west) ~ 70 million with over 5 million under construction.

MCC has 3.5 Million
SCC has 3.6 Million.

404/407 node (this is a big area): 7.8 million .

First photo is from Sheppard-Yonge south exit at Anndale (new south tower of HullmarkCentre) - noticed that unsigned tan colour door at the bottom of first flight of stairs down from street level. That door should be unlocked and leads to P1 parking level of HullmarkCentre - you'll pass by some bike storage rooms - once in the parking area turn left and you'll see the WholeFoodsMarket elevator entrance from P1 parking level.

Second Photo of HullmarkCentre new north TTC entrance (will open in a couple of weeks) is taken from the door to P2 parking level - escalators goes up to Sheppard Ave East - between HullmarkCentre GrandHall office entrance and the north tower condo entrance.

Third Photo of HullmarkCentre new north TTC entrance (will open in a couple of weeks) is taken from the door to P2 parking level - looking away from escalators towards walkway to new collector booth at Sheppard Stubway station eastbound platform.

Fourth photo - Basically, if you imagine leaving via the Sheppard Stubway eastbound platform exit, walk through the white colour tunnel with doors on both ends - the P2 parking level door should be the second or third door on your right. The door to your left should take you to GrandHall for office tower. Once on P2 parking level, walk towards the centre of parking lot and you'll easily find elevators for WholeFoodsMarket.

Speaking of walking, I'm a bit perplexed that some find NYCC not pedestrian friendly - the area scores quite well in walkability scales. Whenever there's a development in NYCC the city will take a 15-20 feet wide stripe of property along Yonge Street from the developer to create a wide boulevard pedestrian sidewalk - streetscaped with tree planters near the curb lane to provide a safe buffer zone for pedestrians - these tree planters aren't there to provide shade. The tree allee near Mel Lastman Square & TDSB building will provide shade! Yes, there are still many sidewalks along Yonge in NYCC that are still narrow because that block haven't been redeveloped yet.

These wide pedestrian boulevard sidewalks with cement and black marble bricks in NYCC along with the tree lined centre median designs were designed about 20 years ago after much consultation between the city and the communities in NYCC. The tree lined centre median creates a wide boulevard feel with calming greenery that's less intimidating than 7 lanes of heavy traffic - it also have breaks for emergency vehicle u-turns and jaywalking pedestrians. BTW, bike lanes were easily rejected at the time,.... opinions?

What would you suggest needs to be fixed in NYCC to make Yonge Street and any other street more walkable? The city has shown interest in making NYCC more pedestrian friendly walkable neighbourhoods that also promotes active transportation.

Signalized intersections slow down traffic,... the signalized intersections at Yonge & Greenfield/Elmwood, Yonge & Sheppard, Yonge & Poyntz/Anndale, Yonge & Avondale/Florence are each about 500 feet from the next - 4 signalized intersections within 1500 feet - this must be the highest density of signalized intersection in the city! There will likely be a couple more signalized intersections on Doris and Beecroft next summer.

Attachments

• iPhone 133.JPG
    iPhone 133.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 466
  • iPhone 176.JPG
    iPhone 176.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 479
  • iPhone 173.JPG
    iPhone 173.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 466
  • iPhone 199.JPG
    iPhone 199.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Speaking of walking, I'm a bit perplexed that some find NYCC not pedestrian friendly - the area scores quite well in walkability scales. Whenever there's a development in NYCC the city will take a 15-20 feet wide stripe of property along Yonge Street from the developer to create a wide boulevard pedestrian sidewalk - streetscaped with tree planters near the curb lane to provide a safe buffer zone for pedestrians - these tree planters aren't there to provide shade. The tree allee near Mel Lastman Square & TDSB building will provide shade! Yes, there are still many sidewalks along Yonge in NYCC that are still narrow because that block haven't been redeveloped yet.

These wide pedestrian boulevard sidewalks with cement and black marble bricks in NYCC along with the tree lined centre median designs were designed about 20 years ago after much consultation between the city and the communities in NYCC. The tree lined centre median creates a wide boulevard feel with calming greenery that's less intimidating than 7 lanes of heavy traffic - it also have breaks for emergency vehicle u-turns and jaywalking pedestrians. BTW, bike lanes were easily rejected at the time,.... opinions?

What would you suggest needs to be fixed in NYCC to make Yonge Street and any other street more walkable? The city has shown interest in making NYCC more pedestrian friendly walkable neighbourhoods that also promotes active transportation.

I agree on paper NYCC should be very walkable, and it is, but again (and I grew up in Y&E and only left a couple years back ;) It always perplexed me the main street on Yonge wasn't more busy, now don't get me wrong on a nice day you have a decent amount of folks but ..

I think right now, the issue is simple, many stretches of Yonge are very disconnected, with large sections under construction (or just an empty lot ... for example the huge lot for the failed development) or take the ugly sales center of pearl.

Things should really get better 5-10 years from now when a lot of this should be addressed. And mel lastmen square is a great local asset, no equivalent in many areas of the city, even say a Y&E ... though what that area has is the countless # of trails / ravines that are a short 10 min walk in both the east and west direction.

Back