Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

Thanks for the update Jivey80. The corner is rapidly transforming itself.

Rumour is the mall on the north east corner is due a fairly big renovation as well - including possibly a tower

Hi, this picture was taken Mon, Dec 17th while I waited for the York bus. Ill try and keep updating this thread and the Emerald Park thread, since I live a 3 min walk from the intersection. Please excuse the quality of the picture, used my Nexus 4 camera =/

IMG_20121217_134045.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20121217_134045.jpg
    IMG_20121217_134045.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 283
Great shots vz64! What camera are you using and how long were those exposures?

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Image Date: 2012-12-19
Focal Length: 12mm
Focus Distance: 4.29m
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 8.000 s
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: -0.33 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: Adobe RGB (1998)
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows

__ __

Project is making an impression in the area and I can see it from my house. Where is this news of a major redevelopment of the Sheppard Centre??? Links?

Thanks.

Great shots vz64! What camera are you using and how long were those exposures?

Thanks SMT... I am using my 60D, the lense is Canon 10-22. With 100 ISO, the exposer was about 4-5 sec. EDIT. Looks like ultran already provided all info :)

Last edited:
Keep in mind the SheppardCentre is a structure built in the mid 1970s. The original mall itself was only 2 storeys,... lower (basement) and upper level. With the increased density over the years and added competition from newer local malls,... SheppardCentre would need to expand to stay competive, even now, its not uncommon to see empty stores there and the stores that are there, tends to be non-tier1 type stores. About 15 years ago, the 3 storey structure to house Cineplex movie theatre was added to the top of the mall. I seriously doubt the mall would be capable of holding the weight of a tower!

If they do add a tower, they would likely have to take something down,... not neccessarily another office or residential tower,... there is an 2 storey structure that house GoodLife fitness on the south side along Sheppard,.. but also a two storey townhouse like structure that appears to have a daycare on the north side. There's also a U-shaped driveway - garden on the west side that's a candidate.

The city is keen for another office tower, problem is the office market sucks so developer are avoiding them,... even now according to the signs there's still office space available at HullmarkCentre and EmeraldPark. But if this other tower is another residential condo,... that's the last thing this neighbourhood needs,... especially right on top of a subway interchange.

Actually there is very little office space remaining in Hullmark ... those signs mean nothing, they never take em down.

Having said that that doesn't mean demand for office space is high, keep in mind the office space was sold as "condo" offices, implying many very small tenants, picture layers / medical / very small business.

Anyway, one can't describe the office market in NYCC week ... that's very inaccurate, the vacancy rates in the area are very low (at time over the last decade lower then downtown) and roughly the second lowest in the GTA (or thrid if you count the Bloor Market as separate ... which you should its just about as large).

The office market in NYCC is week for developers, not tenants; Essentially, to justify the cost of building, which isn't much less then downtown, and given Toronto's very high commercial tax rate compared to the 905, developers (i.e. the landlords) can't charge rents high enough to justify the costs ... that's why you don't see any construction, its not demand ...

Downtown can get away with it as firms are willing to make more in the way of rents.

NYCC does compete more directly with the 905 (i.e. along Hi-way 7 namely), I think VCC (not so much downtown Markham) will likely soften the NYCC market as it'll very much be direct competition. That is firms that want a somewhat urban setting, with subway access.

We already know KMPG is likely relocating all their offices around Yonge and York Mills to VCC.

There were rumors floating back of a new office building on the site next to Emarld Park. I can see it happening, but that's it, there won't be much office development in NYCC unless Toronto doesn't something about the tax rate differential, which it is, but extremely slowly, the absolute commercial tax rates are still roughly 1.7-2X higher then anywhere in the 905.

The "LED screen" had always been planned to be installed on top of the glass. Plus It may very well be just ad billboards instead. It all depends on the media company that will run it.

Let me know if the picture link below doesn't work.

Toronto-North-York-High-Rise-Condos-Hullmark_Centre_Tridel_Yonge_Sheppard_Subway_2.jpg

Back