Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

In the photo, that teal colour L-shape canopy at the Rexall doorway is weird,... especially since all other canopy and similar accents are white.

Can't tell in photo,... but RBC is now open - Tuesday was first day.

Anyone want to guess where and when this black and white photo was taken,....

Attachments

• YongeSheppard_1955SouthEast.jpg
    YongeSheppard_1955SouthEast.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,913
Last edited:
Anyone want to guess where and when this black and white photo was taken,....
If that building to the left was the TD bank, then we'd be looking southeast at the Yonge-Sheppard intersection, from the Dempsey Brothers store.
The "zone 1 limit" sign (and the no stopping/parking sign) might give a clue to the time the picture was taken.

Are there still plans to install lighting along the white fins, as promised in the rendering?

124-135.jpg

Attachments

• 124-135.jpg
    124-135.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,069
If that building to the left was the TD bank, then we'd be looking southeast at the Yonge-Sheppard intersection, from the Dempsey Brothers store.
The "zone 1 limit" sign (and the no stopping/parking sign) might give a clue to the time the picture was taken.

Yeap,... 11th is right on. The black and white image is looking southeast at the Yonge-Sheppard intersection from under the protective overhang canopy of Dempsey Brother store in summer of 1955! EdwardSkira gets credit for recognizing the Dempsey Store overhang
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2013/11/24/when_willowdale_was_a_toronto_suburb.html

Almost from same vantage point that MafaldaBoy (JimmyWu) just took almost 60 years later.

My attempt at getting that same vantage point is attached,... as you can see, everything has changed,... well, at least the bus stop is still there!

That old Joseph Christie Bales’ farmhouse from the 1955 photo is basically where the new GUU will be on north side of Avondale in HullmarkCentre. The main Bales’ barn and house was a bit south at present northeast quadrant of Yonge-401 interchange near Avondale condominiums.

Also attached is old 1934 photo of Sheppard looking east from Yonge and 1968 image of Willowdale Plaza (different vantage point from Yonge & Poyntz looking northeast) which existed at this same southeast corner of Yonge & Sheppard from 1957 to Aug 2010 when it was demolished for Tridel HullmarkCentre. Yes, that's a Steinberg's supermarket,... originally a GrandUnion from NewJersey (sold to Tops), Canadian was brought by Steinberg's, then renamed Miracle, then Dominion, then Metro,... I don't think it was ever an A&P or IGA here.

Attachments

• YongeSheppard_1955SouthEast.jpg
    YongeSheppard_1955SouthEast.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,638
  • IMG_3488[1].JPG
    IMG_3488[1].JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,660
  • YongeSheppardEast1934.jpg
    YongeSheppardEast1934.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,617
  • YongeWillowdalePlaza_1968.jpg
    YongeWillowdalePlaza_1968.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,657
It looks like Guu opened for business today as there were people inside eating food. I'm not sure if they were friends + family or it is a public opening.

Guu has a very nice well-designed patio. I especially like the glass canopy and the consideration for lighting, from the wall mounted lights to the lights at the bottom of the doors. Being shielded by buildings all-around, I wonder if the patio would ever be exposed directly to intense sunlight.

By the way, I noticed that there is a 'For Lease' sign where Chipotle Mexican Grill was supposed to be. It appears to me they won't be moving in. Anybody know anything about this? Chipotle is huge in the U.S., but really they aren't that big internationally. Even Burrito Boyz probably has more locations in Southern Ontario than all of Chipotle outside the U.S. combined. Perhaps not coincidentally, Burrito Boyz opened a location on Yonge St. north of NYCC last year.

Does anyone know if any of these office spaces are occupied? I expect to see doctors, dentists, lawyers and other medical professionals taking over the empty office spaces. Have you visited any of them? Any recommendations?

Does anyone know if any of these office spaces are occupied? I expect to see doctors, dentists, lawyers and other medical professionals taking over the empty office spaces. Have you visited any of them? Any recommendations?

we don't want just dentists and doctors....grocery store would be nice....and other stuff that everyday people use.....like a LCBO or hair salon even.

we don't want just dentists and doctors....grocery store would be nice....and other stuff that everyday people use.....like a LCBO or hair salon even.
I think you will find those across the street at Emerald Park; at least the LCBO's confirmed.

Back