Toronto Hudson's Bay Centre Renovations | 32.87m | 6s | Brookfield | Adamson

Wow,

As a potentially 'younger' UT member, it's always interesting to hear how the city has changed in the recent past (1970+).

Was 'Heaven' inside what is now Fabricland or underneath it, as dt_toronto_geek recalls?

It was down by the entrance mid-way along Bloor, near where the Royal Bank machines are. It had a side entrance that went down and under the Mall itself. Not sure what is there now.

Where Fabricland is now, is what was Heaven. It had entrances at the bottom of the stairs off Bloor, and around the corner inside the mall. It sat unused for probably 10 years after Heaven closed until Fabricland leased the space. Fabricland took over what was the Town Cinema directly across the street then relocated to where it is now when the former cinema was demolished for condos.

There used to be a very trendy and fairly large "restaurant" - the Bloor Street Diner - that was open all hours, on the second floor of the building where Holts is, overlooking Bloor. It was part of the same mid-1980s / early 1990s Big Hair Big Night Out scene, but eventually became quite tacky.

There used to be a very trendy and fairly large "restaurant" - the Bloor Street Diner - that was open all hours, on the second floor of the building where Holts is, overlooking Bloor. It was part of the same mid-1980s / early 1990s Big Hair Big Night Out scene, but eventually became quite tacky.

Oh! The pink neon and the stainless steel! Absolutely harsh at 4 a.m. Too many mirrors! Far too posh for my crowd. We preferred Frans on College. Awful service, horrid servers, but we could spend hours there, cutting up the place - and no matter how awful we looked (at 4,5 or 6 a.m.) we still looked better than the other patrons. :D

I think if nothing else they could paint large murals on the outside of the Bay Centre. They could paint one of the 1967 Maple Leafs hoisting the Stanley Cup seeing as how it won't likely happen again in any of our lifetimes.

Or apply to zone the upper parts of the Y&B Bay store for advertising.

Or apply to zone the upper parts of the Y&B Bay store for advertising.

More advertising in the city? No thanks. Yorkville would be all the classier without it. REAL art-- such as the murals suggested above-- would contribute to the city in a way ads never will.

I moved a number of posts including an article regarding The Bay's new owners hiring Brookfield to scope out their real estate holdings for potential sale to the appropriate thread in the Real Estate forum as the article mainly refers to the potential sale of the Queen Street store and Simpson Tower, not to the HBC Centre.

Now that Lord and Taylor has bought the Bay, and they're talking about re-branding some of the stores, this might be a perfect one for a changeover. It's adjacent to Yorkville, so the market should be there for a higher-end store. As a Bay, it's overshadowed by the Queen Street store. Hopefully they'll do some significant renovations as part of the re-branding.

I've never actually been in the Bloor St. store. I think they should make it a Lord and Taylor's. Would make sense, plus with 1 Bloor across the street.

Back