Toronto Hotel X (was Hotel in the Garden) | ?m | 27s | Exhibition Place | NORR

Yeah 10 years ago everyone wanted to go to Queens, Mcmaster, Laurier, Waterloo and UFT.

Ryerson and York have attracted a huge number of local students that would have tried going to those Schools.

UFT?

University For Toronto?

Kids these days still apply all over the province - and sometimes beyond it - it's all about whether you have the marks to make it into the best schools, and 'best schools' can differ depending on what you're looking to specialize in.

Meanwhile the province is boosting capacity at existing universities and colleges, and it did start a new university in Oshawa a few years ago, and all of those spaces will be filled. If the province started a new university on the Ex grounds I am sure it would work... it's just that they wouldn't start a new university on the Ex grounds: there are enough things going on there as it is. The province would go the route they did with Oshawa again, looking for another area to re-invigorate: think University of Belleville, or something like that...

How about a Toronto campus of UOIT? Look: if other universities and colleges could have divisions elsewhere...

Yeahhhhhhh... back on topic please?

UNESCO world Heritage site in the CNE -
Worlds' First Modern Concentration Camp Site The British Fort "Stanley Barracks" was a federal fort right into "modern" times, the 1950's. There is no Canadian law to protect former fort sites such as the Stanley Barracks. In 1914 the Worlds" FIRST Modern Concentration Camp was invented, constructed and operated inside this Federal fort. A few years later when the city ran out of victims, the concentration camp operation was closed and the wiring/fencing/towers dismantled.

Reflective Complex Competition

In the history of our Toronto, this local invention has impacted the lives of innocent peoples all around the planet. A competition for this unique UNESCO World Heritage Site candidate, the best one that Toronto can offer, is now appropriate.

World Citizens are invited to examine this first concentration camp, its' morphology, and conceptualize the form of a reflective Centre/complex. The Gestault of those individuals that recognize this former concetration camp site as a site not to be desecrated will motivate them to creativity. Moral and ethical concerns should be self-evident, especially to those with a world perspective. Strong moral strength will propel you to respond to this challenge. You will not be deflected by the detractors of the last 90 plus years. The forthcoming 100th Anniversary of this site can be a focus. The use of this vile Toronto-originated technology to facilitate human despair and genocide world-wide in the last 90 plus should receive consideration.
Due to the fast track of the above Toronto approval process, preliminary concepts are encouraged.
Those with the potential to be Sponcers, Contributers and contributers of expertice are encouraged to make contact.
We look forward to the ethical and moral amongst us, stepping forward with appropriate WORLD CLASSproposals for dealing with this unique endangered world history site.
The time is appropriate.
Co-Chairman

[most tasteless post ever on UT]

So? Maybe they can concoct a Distillery District West there, complete with an ARBEIT MACHT FREI gate at the entrance.

[/most tasteless post ever on UT]

Actually, I would support some kind of appropriate commemoration there. (Typos in WFMCC.Toronto's post notwithstanding.) Certainly, it suggests that a little First-Nations-burying-ground kid gloves are necessary, if the pre-existence of the New Fort didn't already suggest it...

Hello:
Exact Location of the Concentration Camp site. Do you have specific information about the exact location? Back in 1996, I deputized to the City and City Council instructed the CNE, in a motion, to determine the exact historic location on the concentration camp site.
This instruction has been pointedly ignored. In fact, this specific point of fact was raised in the September and October meetings. Does any one have access to the minutes of these two minutes?
The concentration camp site is small in area ( comparitively). However it may have been expanded or contracted over its functional life. The towers also are not historically located.
Does anyone have access to the archeological report(s)?
Thanks.
Co-Chair

Is there a more visible spot in Urban Toronto to post item (#94)? The item may need more viewing in another spot.
Yes, there is to be a commemorative "tidbit" for the site of the concentration camp from the federal government. This is not mentioned in any other Urban Toronto posts or in the municipal "reports". The provision of this commemorative tidbit will obviate the question of desecrating a concentration camp site: or will it?
We llok forward to your comments

I think members' apathy regarding the 'concentration camp' idea/theory, is that you haven't provided any proof. Beyond stating that it existed, you haven't done much to assert its overlooked importance in our city. Could you detail the history of the camp, who it held, what kinds of violations caused one to be sent there, when it existed...

Internment camps have been around for far longer than Toronto has been on the map (I know you said 'modern'). From those set up to 'contain' Native Americans at the hands of European explorers to those set up for the same purpose in the Philippines and Cuba, the idea of an internment/concentration camp is much older than you imply. Even if you take the definition of 'concentration camp' to be purely a wartime phenomena, the Brits were interning the Boers fifteen years before you say this thing was set up.

Furthermore, by questioning the our terminology regarding and historical use of such institutions, historiographical study argues that 'dating' such things is almost impossible. Each culture throughout the ages has had ways of dealing with 'the enemy,' most with horrific results. The Romans would have done it, Kings in the middle ages would have done it, pre-modern cultures would have done it, enlightened despots would have done it and here's the clincher - we're still doing it today.

I'm not against the idea that it could have happened in Toronto, you just haven't argued an adequate case; in fact, you haven't really made a case at all. Perhaps some informed words and a little evidence might spur more people into action. After all, if this really was the site of the first camp, something of which I am skeptical, wouldn't UNESCO or at least the municipal/provincial/federal government have recognized it already?

Is there a more visible spot in Urban Toronto to post item (#94)? The item may need more viewing in another spot.
Yes, there is to be a commemorative "tidbit" for the site of the concentration camp from the federal government. This is not mentioned in any other Urban Toronto posts or in the municipal "reports". The provision of this commemorative tidbit will obviate the question of desecrating a concentration camp site: or will it?
We look forward to your comments

I think it makes the most sense to discuss this issue in a dedicated thread, so I have copied post #94 to a new thread in the Toronto Issues forum, which you can find here!

I think this hotel and garden are a really welcome addition to this site. I like the CNE as much as the next person, but keeping a huge parking lot in downtown Toronto unused just to host a run-down midway for 2 weeks of the year seems pretty ridiculous.

A hotel might not be thing we really need most, but hopefully we can surround it with new attractions in all that empty space. If we get a few new draws that area, it will add to what BMO, Ricoh and Direct Energy have already added.

I always thought this would be a perfect place to put a new baseball stadium. The Rogers Centre is already twenty years old, and was the last big concrete baseball stadium built before smaller, more intimate parks became the norm. I say raze the thing and put a smaller, newer park right between the garden and BMO. And voila, there's another draw for the hotel.

I always thought this would be a perfect place to put a new baseball stadium. The Rogers Centre is already twenty years old, and was the last big concrete baseball stadium built before smaller, more intimate parks became the norm. I say raze the thing and put a smaller, newer park right between the garden and BMO. And voila, there's another draw for the hotel.

Rumour had a while ago, that any new mega-stadium if build in the CNE grounds would have to be build in a new man made island next to Ontario Place. Figure that out.:rolleyes:

Too much of a dysfunctional-US-urbanism solution: raze the old and build anew...

Back