Toronto Hospital For Sick Children: Peter Gilgan Family Patient Care Tower | 169m | 29s | Sick Kids | Stantec

SickKids has advanced their plans here with an OPA aimed at creating a 29-storey concept of 241,000 sq m, or 2,594,000 sq ft. You can read all about it on the front page, or check out the new database file now attached above for a few facts!

55068-167121.jpeg

55068-167119.jpeg

55068-167120.jpeg

I don't see how they could keep the helipad on the Elm wing, especially if all the proposed towers (seen in a diagram in the main page feature) go up. I imagine the effect on winds with a tower next to the helipad would be...not good! Perhaps it'll be moved to this new tower

(Slight off topic, but I'd love to see this and other buildings not named after the donor, however I recognize that is unlikely to happen. Certainly I don't support naming an entire hospital after someone -- see Cortelucci and Michael Garron)

I don't see how they could keep the helipad on the Elm wing, especially if all the proposed towers (seen in a diagram in the main page feature) go up. I imagine the effect on winds with a tower next to the helipad would be...not good! Perhaps it'll be moved to this new tower

In reading the Aeronautical Impact Assessment; they do intend to keep the current helipad on the current wing.

There does appear to be sufficient clearance overall, though I believe the new tower will come quite close to the protected path. There will be implications for construction.

The Assessment is under 'Linked Document' in the files.

From the above:

1705780910998.png

1705780942152.png

1705780966296.png

1705780994944.png

• Wow
Reactions: PL1
Some additional notes.

On height, there are 29 proposed patient care floors; however, the proposed building envelope permissions, inclusive of MPH will allow for 32 storeys.

There is a discrepancy on the maximum proposed height in Meters.

The text specified as limit of 171m; but the supplied graphic shows 175m

1705781256373.png

Planning Rationale - p.61

1705781347084.png

Planning Rational Report - p.62

Also of note:

The proposal does entail a very minor, peripheral encroachment into the City Hall view corridor from NPS.

1705781489240.png

1705781566759.png

Additional views in the Planning Rationale Report beginning at p.69

Just a note to say that we have updated the database file and front page story to credit Stantec along with the already credited KPMB for the design…

…which makes perfect sense, as Stantec are the type of firm to make health care centres work optimally, while KPMB is there to make it a pleasure to be in!

This thing is ridiculously scaled.

At 2.6 million SF, this will have almost exactly the same floor area as First Canadian Place, which is 2.7 million sf. It would place it as the second largest building in the city by floor area, and the largest if including existing wings which will be retained. It's a total beast.

To put in scale a bit, Toronto usually restricts residential building floor plates to 750 square metres. This will be over 7,000 square metres, or roughly NINE ~55 storey residential towers shoved together in terms of massing.

It may not be the tallest hospital tower in the world, but it would definitely be the largest.

Last edited:
...something about a bagel in a pile of grits comes to mind, goodness.

This thing is ridiculously scaled.

At 2.6 million SF, this will have almost exactly the same floor area as First Canadian Place, which is 2.7 million sf. It would place it as the second largest building in the city by floor area, and the largest if including existing wings which will be retained. It's a total beast.

To put in scale a bit, Toronto usually restricts residential building floor plates to 750 square metres. This will be over 7,000 square metres, or roughly NINE ~55 storey residential towers shoved together in terms of massing.

It may not be the tallest hospital tower in the world, but it would definitely be the largest.
It will be the mother of all slabs (at least in Toronto).

I wonder what the economic impact of moving the helipad would be. Raising it 20 storeys would raise the development ceiling for everything in the approach path by 20 storeys, no?

Back