Toronto HighPark Condominiums | ?m | 14s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

Thanks muchly Marcus! That's exactly what I was looking for.
I had tried (and failed) to find it in the planning application, but I am not familiar with the planning system documents. (The history with the OMB was interesting reading too.)

AmJ

Price point

What price per square foot do you imagine Daniel's will begin selling these units at? Based on the price point of Tridel's Old Mill (phase 1 and 2) I would assume somewhere near $650 psf.

1844 BLOOR ST W
Site Plan Approval 11 307024 WET 13 SA Ward 13
- Etob. York Nov 8, 2011 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Carvalino, Philip
416-394-8233
Proposal to construct a 14 storey mixed use building with 378 residential units and 1500m2 of grade related commercial space and a 634m2 day nursery facility.

from toronto.ca/developmentapplications

I attended the 3rd public meeting for this project last night. Just moved to the High Park neighbourhood and thought i'd see how irate and irrational some of the rate payers could be in public meetings. A few didn't dissapoint. It was pretty busy, about 50 people or so in the auditorium at Humberside Collegiate. Daniels' presentation was mostly an explanation of the minor tweaks and changes that they made to the previous design. All-in-all, it's a nice project with a decent scale and fit within the neighbourhood. Diamond & Schmidt's design isn't anything spectacular - it's their typical "s'alright" outcome. But definitely nothing to rage at. Biggest news is that Daniels is purchasing the 2 small plots of land just north of them which will improve their roadway access and possibly provide for a daycare facility using Sec. 37 money.

Nicest element of the design is a fairly large courtyard fronting bloor west. Should be a nice patio/public space when done. I took a couple of cell pictures. Quality isn't great, but should give you an idea of the project.

2011-11-09193212.jpg

2011-11-09192913.jpg

2011-11-09192749.jpg

Cheers!

It's not too bad really - the red brick "boxes" remind me a bit of Boutique's podium, which is very nice. I think the best part of this however is that retail will be introduced to this stretch of Bloor that has never had any.

I like it better than the version with those blank panels faces Bloor W. The red brick is good. Still think that it is big, but the visual cues of height at street level seem to work better now. Maybe it is just me, but I can't get my head around the green stripey bits all over the front though - are they supposed to evoke trees or something?

I guess its still not good enough for area residents

More community consultation for controversial High Park Condo
Standing room only community council meeting degenerates into shouting match

A highly contested High Park condo proposal likened by one west-end councillor to "putting a gorilla in a fishbowl" was referred back for more community consultation this week after a two-and-a-half hour meeting disintegrated into a shouting match.
The controversial development application - which proposes a 14-storey, 378-residential-unit, mixed-use building directly across from High Park on Bloor Street West - drew the ire of a standing-room-only crowd at Etobicoke York Community Council (EYCC) Tuesday night.

"Like (my neighbours), I chose this area for my residence because of its peaceful, park-like setting," said Anya Poesiat, one of close to 20 local residents who spoke out against the development at the Etobicoke Civic Centre. "We therefore abhor the idea of a huge, monolithic structure to the south of us - I might say almost on top of us - and towering over High Park."

The proposal also sets aside $1.55 million in Section 37 benefits to be paid by the developer to the city and to be allocated in Ward 13 Parkdale-High Park for local parks and streetscapes and local, non-profit childcare facilities.

Nevertheless, at issue for many local residents neighbouring the development - more than 700 of whom signed a petition against its construction - is the proposal's height (which, at 52 metres, is more than twice as high as the maximum height allowed under the current zoning provisions), architecture and design (much of the building is to be fronted in 'ugly', energy inefficient glass), its spacing relative to existing buildings, its 'deficient' parking (274 parking spaces for 378 residential units), the resultant increase in traffic the building will likely bring with it and the precedent approving such an application will have on future development in the area.

"This project is simply out of scale. It's out of scale with the surrounding environment and neighbourhood and it's going to set a dangerous precedent for future development," said Mark Senderowitz, a local resident who requested the building's scope be scaled back to nine storeys at most.

More......http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...onsultation-for-controversial-high-park-condo

I read on another website that Anya lives on Indian Road or Indian Crescent--not exactly a neighbour of this project. Googling the other guy shows he lives far enough away that he won't be directly impacted--ok maybe his view but I highly doubt it. There's a couple dozen SFH north of this site but mostly it's highrise apartment dwellers, myself included. I think the area needs more retail--why should us apartment dwellers have to walk a mile to local grocery stores when there's over 5000 of us in this densely populated area?

It comes down to snobbery I believe--these local wealthy homeowners do not want to see the area over-run with average people. Yet average people don't own condos, ironically. And otoh, there's perhaps a fear amongst the renter community that increased value from these condos will see redevelopment of aging rental properties--a strong possibility which would suck.

The only real shame in all this is that indeed, these old homes could be restored and sold for millions, and that mature trees have been destroyed. But progress is progress I suppose, and while the proposal as it stands is nice, yes, more red brick would be nice!

Last edited:

Back