Hamilton Hamilton Passive House Modular Housing | ?m | 3s | CityHousing Hamilton | Montgomery Sisam

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Hamilton Passive House Modular Housing

253 King William Street is a new affordable housing development in the heart of downtown Hamilton. It will sit on the site of a former surface parking lot between a church and multi-unit residence and is designed in deference to its neighbours with a similar set back, height and roof-line.

The building is a three-storey modular construction, and will accommodate 24 studio-style resident units – four at grade and the balance, on the two floors above. The ground floor is otherwise dedicated to shared amenities such as a community room, meeting room, lounge and laundry facility. The glazed front entrance and rear exit are strategically aligned to create a visual connection between the street and rear yard. The yard is designed to be an animated space, featuring barbecues, seating, and a community garden surrounded by lush, low-maintenance landscaping.

The development is targeting Passive House Certification, and leverages the superior quality control of prefab production in a factory setting. Beyond its high-performing envelop, the building also features photo-voltaic panels and all electric heating and cooling systems.

20077_253_KingWilliamHouseingExterior_A01_HR05-scaled.jpg
20077_253_KingWilliamHouseingExterior_D01_H05-scaled.jpg
20077_253_KingWilliamHouseingExterior_C01_HR05-scaled.jpg
20077_253_KingWilliamHouseingExterior_B01_HR05_Crop-scaled.jpg

Hamilton Passive House Modular Housing

253 King William Street is a new affordable housing development in the heart of downtown Hamilton. It will sit on the site of a former surface parking lot between a church and multi-unit residence and is designed in deference to its neighbours with a similar set back, height and roof-line.

The building is a three-storey modular construction, and will accommodate 24 studio-style resident units – four at grade and the balance, on the two floors above. The ground floor is otherwise dedicated to shared amenities such as a community room, meeting room, lounge and laundry facility. The glazed front entrance and rear exit are strategically aligned to create a visual connection between the street and rear yard. The yard is designed to be an animated space, featuring barbecues, seating, and a community garden surrounded by lush, low-maintenance landscaping.

The development is targeting Passive House Certification, and leverages the superior quality control of prefab production in a factory setting. Beyond its high-performing envelop, the building also features photo-voltaic panels and all electric heating and cooling systems.

View attachment 409175View attachment 409176View attachment 409177View attachment 409178

I appreciate the aspiration here; but man is that dead ugly.

To me it looks cheap, industrial, but in particularly depressing way.

I'm not completely opposed to black, but this lacks any warmth or balance to offset the domination of the black.

i also really don't like the vertical nature of the panels that runs all 3 floors with no sense of a seam or a division at all.

I’d have to agree with @70Challenger - I think that in the renders it looks quite nice. Devil is in the delivery. I’ll reserve final judgment until the on-site result.

There will be a road closure on King William from Wellington St to Jarvis St for two weeks from Tomorrow (May 8) to May 19 for a installation of modular pre-built containers with a mobile crane.

Back