Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Taken yesterday. Although early works, construction has started.

AHC8gES.jpg

6062ume.jpg

qlRcVn9.jpg

VBC1PT5.jpg

Oyzubr7.jpg

9bxZLGr.jpg

r1rWsPo.jpg

2XU6BmS.jpg

8xSwmNh.jpg

Glad to see it. Utility works are an annoyingly complex part of LRT projects so happy to see it happening now.

Are the burying the wires along Sherman?

From what I can see in the pics, the work stretches ~ 500m (Wilson-Main).

Will they have to do this to every major arterial that intersects with King/Main/Queenston?

T
Are the burying the wires along Sherman?

From what I can see in the pics, the work stretches ~ 500m (Wilson-Main).

Will they have to do this to every major arterial that intersects with King/Main/Queenston?
This work is for the water main, not the electricity lines.

From what I understand, they will eventually build a large utility tunnel under the south side of the street. All the way from Ashley to Kensington. That tunnel will house water, electricity and communication infrastructure in a single location. We'll probably see that work happen in 2024. For now, this is just disconnecting the water lines near sherman to prepare for that work. and yes, it will likely happen at every major intersection along the route.

AzAt7tZ.png

So I’m curious, will work to build utility tunnels be done like this at every major artery along the way?

Or just in the older parts of the city?

I remember when the ripped up Wentworth a few years ago, they found wooden pipes!

Will Wentworth be ripped up again, in a similar way to Sherman as pictured above?

So I’m curious, will work to build utility tunnels be done like this at every major artery along the way?

Or just in the older parts of the city?

I remember when the ripped up Wentworth a few years ago, they found wooden pipes!

Will Wentworth be ripped up again, in a similar way to Sherman as pictured above?

The main utility tunnel that I showed above will be along King Street. They have to move all the utilities out from below the LRT guideway, so that if work ever needs to be done on the utiluty lines, they don't have to rip up the LRT guideway. They are choosing to do a single service tunnel that will house everything, to keep it simple and accessible.

They will likely be replacing water mains at every major intersection yes, then feeding the new ones into the tunnel.

This is an absolutely massive project, and the utility relocation is about half of the price of the total project. Hamilton is getting a once in a lifetime utility upgrade along King, for free! Anyone who opposes the LRT has no clue what they are talking about. This is an amazing deal for Hamilton.

The main utility tunnel that I showed above will be along King Street. They have to move all the utilities out from below the LRT guideway, so that if work ever needs to be done on the utiluty lines, they don't have to rip up the LRT guideway. They are choosing to do a single service tunnel that will house everything, to keep it simple and accessible.

They will likely be replacing water mains at every major intersection yes, then feeding the new ones into the tunnel.

This is an absolutely massive project, and the utility relocation is about half of the price of the total project. Hamilton is getting a once in a lifetime utility upgrade along King, for free! Anyone who opposes the LRT has no clue what they are talking about. This is an amazing deal for Hamilton.

Is there a chance the City takes the provincial cash to do all the utility work, yet not built an LRT system?

The city is only responsible for the early works I believe. The actual utility tunnel work is being done by the province, then handed over to the city once the LRT is complete.

The city is only responsible for the early works I believe. The actual utility tunnel work is being done by the province, then handed over to the city once the LRT is complete.
I'm not sure who is responsible for what, but I do know that the Province is paying for a certain level of replacement and the city can pay an additional cost too, to upgrade utilities beyond just the replacement cost. Let's say there's a sewer pipe that is 50cm across, the Province will replace it with an equivalent size, but the city can also take the opportunity to cover the cost of the difference between a 50cm and a 100cm pipe to get a half paid for upgrade for example.

Once in a generation investment in the city.

This news is from October 19th. I checked and looks like it hasn't been posted here yet.

It was mentioned by @TheHonestMaple, but I don't know that there were any links to post at the time:

Both AECOM and WSP announced that they have been brought on as Technical Advisors for this project this week. So something appears to be happening behind the scenes lately.

I will say the lack of a super short connection to West Harbour is very annoying - with service getting better and better it sucks that getting that done is going to require a whole process and probably (as ridiculous as it is) several years of additional waiting

I will say the lack of a super short connection to West Harbour is very annoying - with service getting better and better it sucks that getting that done is going to require a whole process and probably (as ridiculous as it is) several years of additional waiting
I always liked formerly proposed waterfront spur, it’s a shame it got cut. Both great for GO connectivity and developing the waterfront. I’d go a step further and interline the waterfront spur with the mainline to McMaster, which connects to a major trip generator and adds frequency to the downtown.

As a future project, I’d also connect the line up with Confederation GO. Eastgate Mall has a huge redevelopment proposal, and a short 700 metre-ish link to regional rail would be hugely beneficial.

Back-of-napkin proposal below:

IMG_2408.jpeg

Back