Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Has anyone seen this before? This is what was supposed to have been built in 1982 in Hamilton. So cool, like a mini-Chicago loop. Too bad Hamiltonians hate higher order public transit being built for them for free by the province.

ICTS2.jpg

There's been some amazing analysis on twitter of the methodological failures of the survey.

Start at this tweet, and see the next several graphs:

https://twitter.com/higgicd/status/854074234188050432

The short version is that out of 3324 respondents, almost half were over age 65.
Only 131 were in the 18-34 bracket. That's 4%.
C9pH_QBXsAEKqId.jpg

And now there are councillors quoting the results as if they have any meaning:

Coun. Terry Whitehead, a long-time LRT skeptic, interprets the results differently.

He said, "it was a bit surprising to see 47 per cent of millennials do not support LRT." Whitehead feels the survey results "dispel myths," propagated by social media, suggesting that young people are largely in favor of the project.

The 131 people age 18-35 responding to the survey gives an error of +- 8.5%, which means that it's a statistical tie, at best.

C9qiqghWAAACf_3.png

https://twitter.com/higgicd/status/854074234188050432

Attachments

• C9pH_QBXsAEKqId.jpg
    C9pH_QBXsAEKqId.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 305
  • C9qiqghWAAACf_3.png
    C9qiqghWAAACf_3.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 292
Has anyone seen this before? This is what was supposed to have been built in 1982 in Hamilton. So cool, like a mini-Chicago loop. Too bad Hamiltonians hate higher order public transit being built for them for free by the province.

ICTS2.jpg

It's "ICTS" designation leads me to believe that this was another UTDC project to showcase the same technology used for the current Scarborough Rapid Transit. So they dodged a bullet in this case.

LRT advocates needed to get this done and sealed earlier.

The longer it drags on, the more lies get out- and lies are ten times as hard to correct than the truth itself.

My folks are Hamilton born and raised. Now in their 80's, they live on the west mountain. Initially they were open minded about the LRT. When I last asked for their thoughts, like the majority of seniors they were opposed. They don't think it will be of much value to the majority of Hamiltonians who don't live below the mountain. Most of their shopping and trips are done on the mountain and find it very busy with poor transit options. Like many Hamiltonians, they rarely go to the City centre. They see the one-way Main and King streets as efficient and convenient and do not see the value of losing a lane to an LRT. They are worried about the expense of the system and the long term tax burden.

While I believe the Hamilton LRT is an excellent addition to Hamilton's infrastructure, it looks like it will be a very tough sell.

My folks are Hamilton born and raised. Now in their 80's, they live on the west mountain. Initially they were open minded about the LRT. When I last asked for their thoughts, like the majority of seniors they were opposed. They don't think it will be of much value to the majority of Hamiltonians who don't live below the mountain. Most of their shopping and trips are done on the mountain and find it very busy with poor transit options. Like many Hamiltonians, they rarely go to the City centre. They see the one-way Main and King streets as efficient and convenient and do not see the value of losing a lane to an LRT. They are worried about the expense of the system and the long term tax burden.

While I believe the Hamilton LRT is an excellent addition to Hamilton's infrastructure, it looks like it will be a very tough sell.
They are trapped in the present and don't see/want Hamilton to develop into a busier and modern city. It's a shame.

Back